Wasting money on full synthetic for an engine that calls for conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If going by the MM, then yes, you are wasting money;

I maintain (4) vehicles; (3) in my sig and a 2002 Tundra; Each gets long drain capable synthetic oil.

Oil changes then are relegated to warm and sunny weather; OCIs for the vehicles run yearly 8 - 15K miles. If I can't 'get to it for a few weeks' there is little worry; so there is a scenario where money is not wasted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Yeah 0.85 cents a quart for full synthetic is a total waste of money

That's not an everyday price. That's a once a year, get it while it's hot deal.

Well you see some of us with stashes don't shop for everyday prices.

Good point Johnny
smile.gif

I still have some AAP Peak 15w40 for $1.85 in my stash
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Yeah 0.85 cents a quart for full synthetic is a total waste of money

That's not an everyday price. That's a once a year, get it while it's hot deal.

Maybe not, but Walmart is selling quarts of 0W-20 ST syn for like $3.56. I'm also guessing there is at least a minimal fuel economy savings using a full syn as opposed to a blend....

Originally Posted by hatt
Why do people waste money on ST syn or conventional when you can buy PP and M1 for less using rebates?

Time = money. What can it really save vs 5 quarts of full synthetic for $15.87

If we're posting on here we probably have plenty of free time to fill out a online rebate and then do a mobile deposit. I'm always less than $13/5qt after rebate. Two jugs of PP HM for $3.70 each a couple months ago. I don't even get into the M1 stuff too much because I usually have a good supply with Pennzoil rebates and the occasional clearance oil.

Can you elaborate on how to take advantage of these "rebates"? I'd love to just stock up on 5 qt jugs. My wife's family business is near our house and their warehouse is where I work on my cars and store my oil so I have a lot of space for storage.

Your body is designed to run on water, without it we die but does that mean buying a 6 pack of your favorite beer is a waste?

Originally Posted by BigShug681
Your body is designed to run on water, without it we die but does that mean buying a 6 pack of your favorite beer is a waste?

Nope, because beer is mostly water.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by JLTD

thumbsup2.gif

And a common fact is up until the 17th century near beer or beer was brewed for rehydration because plain water was far from pure. The advent of easily obtainable coffee is credited with the technological and scienctific revolution we are enjoying today which replaced beer.

thumbsup2.gif

I made no mention of PBR lol

With supertech? No not really! If you were running expensive higher end oil, then yes. Ex. changing a 15,000 mile rated syn at 5,000.

I would recommend a better filter though as P1's and Bosch aren't known for quality around here as of late with tearing issues and whatnot. The OEM Honda filter could easily handle the OLM interval with any oil you choose. Nothing wrong with what you're doing now! ST syn has proven itself to be a worthy and viable contender to the name brands for a whole lot less money!

thumbsup2.gif

I made no mention of PBR lol

Beer is actually more hydrating than water unless drank to excess or of course you're drinking a high ABV IPA or stout...

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by kstanf150
How many of you are old enough or remember back in the day when well maintained engines were going 150K and more on reg Dino oils and for sure no HM oils available at that time. I think sometimes we all get a little wrapped up in over thinking what's good, bad or just perfect for the engine and application. Use a good quality oil and change it on a regular basis and all should be fine.

Post of the thread

Back in the day? Most people don't change their engine oils enough like today. Today's oils aren't GP I oils with poor quality viscosity improvers and used with leaded gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back