Washing microfibers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Historically I have used Kirkland scent-free detergent with vinegar and an extra rinse cycle. This has worked fairly well for me, and I occasionally will do a simple green soak if they are very soiled/waxy/etc. Today I tried using simple green itself as the wash detergent. Still using vinegar rinse and an extra rinse cycle. What is your usual preference?

I read somewhere you are not supposed to wash microfiber in a washing machine so I have been washing them by hand in a bucket until they get too dirty for the waxing the car, then they go to the wife and she washes them in the washing machine and uses them as rags.

Hot water and Tide. I know one detailer that will boil them every so often.

Last edited:
Hod do you keep microfiber from leaving lint. I've bought cheap ones and expensive ones and they all eventually start leaving microfiber lint behind on glass. I tend to not wash them until they get really dirty. if I do something greasy with them I just toss them. They are cheap enough.

Any one have good brands that don't make a lot of lint?

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Hod do you keep microfiber from leaving lint. I've bought cheap ones and expensive ones and they all eventually start leaving microfiber lint behind on glass. I tend to not wash them until they get really dirty. if I do something greasy with them I just toss them. They are cheap enough.

Any one have good brands that don't make a lot of lint?

https://www.theragcompany.com

I wash with whatever scent and dye free detergent my wife buys (All or Tide) in hot water, then rinse with a quarter cup of white vinegar and dry on low heat for about 20 minutes with no dryer sheet. I have had no issues with this method in almost 10 years. I also do not use my MF for applying waxes or polishes, so that may help as well.

Pretreat with 409 then machine wash. You need something to strip oils and waxes before you wash it. Just using Tide doesn't cut it. My wife the clean freak should know LOL.

slomo

I usually soak microfiber towels used for polishing in hot water, some Oxy Clean and Tide Advanced. Agitate it by hand for 10 minutes then rise and soak for a day, rinse and soak another day then line dry it. it doesn't go in the washer as wife said no.

Tide PurClean or a hippie, "natural" detergent like Method or Seventh Generation. Microfibers hate optical brightener and fabric softeners that can block their pores and hamper their action.

If you shine a UV blacklight at a bottle of detergent and it glows, your detergent has optical brightener.

What ever detergent momma has in the wash room works for me, HOT wash double rinse cycle, no fabric softeners, like new.
thumbsup2.gif

My microfibers don't seem to release the grit and debris when washed. I have to be really careful not to use them to polish the cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back