Washing engine-Is it safe to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Jeep with a Hemi and I would like to know if it is safe to wash the engine with engine cleaner.I know the engine must be stone cold but I worry about the electronics.The owners manual states nothing about cleaning the engine.Thanks Joe
fruit.gif

I've heard plenty of tall tales about how it's bad, and how you'll destroy something, etc. I've been doing it for years. I just cover up the under-hood fuse box and anything else that looks particularly vulnerable (such as the air intake on some engines), and I've never had a problem.

If you go to a car wash do not direct the high psi blast near anything that looks vulnerable, or cover them up as vtec said.

I do it all the time. My engine bay looks beautiful and it hasn't hurt anything in my 180k miles in my Chev truck.

Another tip - keep the blast away from your oil fill cap, dipsticks and pcv valves.

I think I read somewhere somebody's UOA showing high sodium because of road salt (recycled wash water) being forced into the crank-case.

I do my engine when it's a little warm. The heat loosens up any grease & keeps the mist from settling into the small electrical parts.

If you can put your hand on the valve cover without it burning, you're ok to was the engine.

How can a 06 be that dirty? I usually just wipe mine down with a warm, wet cloth (bucket wash). I made the mistake of washing a '92 Daytona Iroc once. I didn't cover anything (big mistake). After that, wipers started coming on by themselves, and one could not turn them off (spooky). If you cover everything vulnerable, it should be OK. If you're just removing surface dust/dirt, use a wet rag.

as posted just dont spray directly in one area. I know I did my 95 ranger once and was scared that it wouldnt crank after washing the engine. well I got done and it started fine. just keep it away from any of the electrical boxes and so on and shouldnt have a prob. I got my 03 dakota in 04 and be surpised at how dirty it gets. I was shocked it looks like its about 5 years old.

just becareful and if you want use an engine cleaner like gunk. this way you dont have to spray it as much .

Personally old GERMAN cars and engine washing is a bad idea. Most likely a vacuum hose is cracked somewhere and water gets in.

In my case my Dad powerwashed my 300D mercedes one day and knocked a vacuum line off. That line happen to be a vacuum that shuts off the engine.

But for the most part, any car within the last 10-15yrs is pretty safe, just cover the distributor cap and any sensitive electrical components

Well, I have a Gurkha which is basically the G Wagen made in India with OM616 turbo, wash it every week as I do offraoding frequently,never faced any probles whatsoever.

I spray with my garden hose, without covering anything up on all my cars.

Power washer spraying is different though.

I've been washing my Cherokee's engine since 1997 and never had any problem. I don't usually use the hi-pressure setting if I go to a car wash, and I don't intentionally spray the electrical stuff. I just spray some cleaner--whatever I have at the moment--on a slightly warm engine,let it soak a minute or two, then water it down.

BTW: "Interesting, I always thought Gurkha's were a military brigade."
The British have a Gurkha regiment, and I think the Indian Army may too. But I thought Norsemen were from Scandinavia, not Mississippi....
tongue.gif

"But I thought Norsemen were from Scandinavia, not Mississippi.... "

They are, this one ended up here. Not a problem though, I Love it here.
tongue.gif
patriot.gif

The safest way is to cover all electrical connectors twice. You can never be too careful! This is what I do: First, cover ALL electrical contacts, fuse box, air filter box, dist.caps(if you have one) and most important, cover your ALTERNATOR!!! with aluminum foil(the cheap ones will do just fine), then get some zip lock bags and cover the alternator and other stuff that can be covered by zip locks.

Don't use pressure washer of any kind! Spray your favorite engine cleaner( I prefer the citrus base type or solvent free type) let it soak and rinse with running water(no pressure). Turn on your engine or wipe them dry.

Around here, if you go to a used car lot and look at the engine compartments of the cars, they always look new. That means they wash the engines all the time and they always come out OK.

Last year I did the engine in my Intrepid for the first time ever. I borrowed a high pressure washer with the soap dispenser attachment. I used Simple Green detergent(really good stuff) and I used way too much. I turned the thing on, aimed it at the engine and pulled the trigger. Within seconds the entire engine compartment was a giant white foam. Foam puffing up to the underside of the open hood, pouring over the fenders, foam puffing out from underneath the car, foam everywhere. I was shocked. I figured, "what the he**, it's too late now", so I blasted away some more and then let it sit for about 15 minutes. I then blasted with clear water. The entire driveway was foam right down to the street. But the engine and compartment looked like it had come right from from the factory - absolutely like new !

I towel dried all the standing water from the nooks and crannies and then let it sit for an hour to dry out. It was a hot summer day and the engine had been just warm before I started cleaning. After an hour, I turned the key and it started right up like it always does. I was really surprised.

Next time I definitely will cover some of the electrical stuff. I think I just got lucky the first time around.

Phil

I've been using degreaser & the garden hose on these two engine for years. I cover the alternators on both. I've never had a problem.

'00 VW GTI 1.8T

-

'97 Ford Expedition

-

-

I'm 51 years old and have pressure washed the engines in every car I've ever owned two to three times a year with NO problems at all. Spray degreaser, soap, let sit for a couple of minutes then wash off using PRESSURE WASHER. Just use a little common sense where your directing the spray.

I keep my engines clean enough you could practlicly eat off them. (similar to above pictures)

I've been through a lot of cars and never had a single problem from washing the engine and in fact think I've eliminated problems simply by keeping them clean.

I used to use steam to clean them after soaking them with 'gunk' brand engine degreaser.

this was a tool I used when I was working as an auto mechanic, and would come across dirtier than usual engines.

very rare that I had problems caused by this.

if there were problems, the customer was already complaining about a rough engine during damp/wet weather.

FWIW, the customers always appreciated seeing a clean engine compartment. didn't take very long and it really didn't cost much, either.

Been an engine washer for years too.
Always use Al foil to cover things that don't like water, and let the engine cool so it's just warm.
I use car soap - but only a tiny bit with a sponge and I don't really rinse it any more - just use clean water with the same sponge and a microfiber towel.
I then use silicone spray on the plastic/rubber bits and it's good for a bar-b-q!
Then, maybe once a year, a good steam-clean to get the lower bits.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back