Wasabi Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago we went to a Japanese restaurant the food was interesting and delicious. Then I learned the hard way that Wasabi paste is to be eaten in tiny amounts. That stuff was head snapping hot.

Yeah I make severely hot, hot pepper sauce and it doesn't phase me but strong wasabi or fresh horseradish sauce gets fumes up in your nasal cavity and kicks arse.

I love horseradish and it certainly will clear the sinuses.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Many years ago we went to a Japanese restaurant the food was interesting and delicious. Then I learned the hard way that Wasabi paste is to be eaten in tiny amounts. That stuff was head snapping hot.

You probably got the "Real stuff"

I think 99% of the "wasabi" in the USA is just Horseradish with green food coloring.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My wife loves Chinese hot mustard. She coats her egg rolls with it.

It's soooo hard to find GOOD Chinese hot mustard... when it's good, it's just to die for.

Few years ago I was taken to an upscale Japanese restaurant here by a prof I'd done some proof-reading work for.

I'd said I liked Japanese food, but forgotten to mention that, as an ex-biologist who'd done invertebrate parasitology courses, I didn't eat raw fish.

Sho nuf, as the most expensive thing on the menu, thats naturally what I got. Too late to say anything, so the work around was to put A LOT of wasabi on it (its an antiseptic) and chew it a lot.

People looked on in horror as my face went purple and wax ran out of my ears. "Are you OK?" says mine host, reaching for his phone to call an ambulance. "Fine" I croaked through cracked lips.

Havn't got as much waitress attention since just after eating a wild mango in Borneo (all the skin comes off your lips when exposed to sunlight, you bleed from the mouth a bit and your hands go black. Its not really a very good look).

Last edited:
Only once in my life I have eaten real wasabi and it was miles apart from what I knew wasabi tastes like.

Like stated above, the paste commercially available it's just horse radish with some green tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back