Was Volvo the last auto manufacturer to gift the world its patent to save life and limb?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
335486099_736991518019554_1121521943808333059_n.jpg

Did Mercedes give a patent for anti lock brakes for all to use? I could Google but I seem to remember something like that.

Heresy, but I actually found 3-point seatbelts a step down from the separate lap- and shoulder-belts in my '68 Chev.

I realize that I was one of the few who used both belts, but maintain that when used properly they are superior to 3-point belts.

The American manufactures only do safety when forced to.
We can thank Chrysler for designing a wheel that retains the tire after a blowout, the first minivan with rear cross path detection, blind spot monitors and obstacle detection for power sliding doors. They also had the first production 4 wheel computer controlled ABS system…. In 1971.

Chrysler invented/ took credit for split channel hydraulic brakes, which everyone else copied. (I am sure someone else made them earlier but Chrysler marketing stood up and took credit.)

It was only for a few years, when they had 4-wheel drums and diagonally split master cylinders. Front discs require radically different pressures (and, usually, power boosting) so they quietly changed it to front & rear axles. The feds didn't require dual-pot MCs until 1968!

Remember these (GM 1st Gen W-Body)? Supposedly, they were designed to allow the driver/passenger to exit the car without unbuckling the belt; default auto-belt system. The unfortunate thing was if the door ever opened in a wreck.....

1992-chevrolet-lumina-z34-7366-miles-black-coupe-v6-5-spd-manual-12.jpg

Remember these (GM 1st Gen W-Body)? Supposedly, they were designed to allow the driver/passenger to exit the car without unbuckling the belt; default auto-belt system. The unfortunate thing was if the door ever opened in a wreck.....

1992-chevrolet-lumina-z34-7366-miles-black-coupe-v6-5-spd-manual-12.jpg
The Toyota motorized belts, a silly invention due to DOT regulations for “passive” restraints was known to slice people open in a crash - the belt would get hard due to UV exposure and in effect become a knife.

There were other door mounted shoulder belts-- VW Rabbits come to mind. They put some padding in the dash for the driver's knees so they didn't "have" to wear lap belts. And, if worn, the lap belt protected the driver in roll overs, side impacts, doors opening etc. It was a better cludge.

If manufacturers had their way they wouldn't have any safety features still and let people die once their money was exchanged

If manufacturers had their way they wouldn't have any safety features still and let people die once their money was exchanged
I don't think that is entirely true.

However, it costs $$$$$ to manufacture and implement safety for vehicles. So a typical penny pinching company (or customer) would often opt for no safety.

My 59 Ford had the option of padded dash, and lapbelts. So few customers ordered it, Ford dropped it a few years later. Then Nader came along and in 1968 things began to be mandated.

So it's not just the manufacturers, it's the consumers too.

Back