Was this the right thing to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought our Chevy Venture (3.4) with 11 miles on the odometer. At 2,500 miles (first oil change) I switched it over to M1 5w30. The van now has 10,000 miles and I change the oil around 3-4000 miles because the oil has been getting dirty so quickly. I have around 3,000 miles on this oil and it isnt nearly as dirty as it usually is at this mile interval. I realize that I probably could have ran the synthetic longer but I cant stand to have black oil in my engines. The oil life monitor generally reads 70-80% when I change the oil. Was the reason for the dirty oil because of the engine breaking in? Did I switch to M1 too soon? What would you experts have done? Any input is appreciated.If I am a fool lay it on me. I can take constructive critisizm. Thanks.
cheers.gif

M1 can be switched to early in the engine's life and is factory fill for Corvettes. You did nothing wrong, but can probably extend drains to at least 5,000 miles.

[ May 21, 2004, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

MY and only mine, procedure. others do what they think is best. No synthetic oil of the group 4 or 5 flavor Until dino has been run for the first 10,000 miles (oci at 3,6 and 10k). Others will argue about the point that rings have seated but if I run dino for 10k I have no doubts. Then and only then, treat your vehicle to the best. Just my opinion. But blow-by has a tendency to darken the oil a bit. In your case Just keep running it, It will still work ok ....same difference in the long run.

What sort of driving/ conditions? I change my oil every 5,000k (3,000m) as I almost exclusively drive short trips, with almost no highway driving.

If you do short trips that will make the oil dirty quicker and I believe require shorter change intervals. Have a look at the manuals severe service recommendation. If you do a lot of highway driving then extend it out.

Currently running Motul 300v.

Suggestion: Get A UOA done to confirm oil condition and take it from there.

[ May 21, 2004, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

Mostly short trips. I think I will do a UOA when I change it this time. I think I will go 5k on this round. I have had numerous 60 degree GM v6s and none have ever blackened the oil like this one does. It kind of has me concerned but the dealer said it is normal for the oil to crud up faster until the engine breaks in. I wouldnt know because this is our first brand new vehicle purchase. How long does it take for an engine to break in?

If oil color is your criteria than use dino and change out at 3000 miles. Oil color is no indication of its performance. Dumping Mobil 1 at 3k miles based on color is a waste of money but of course its your choice.
smile.gif

Keep in mind that M1 starts out a little darker than most motor oil, due to the addatives.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back