Was there a personal all time best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best oil is a loaded question. However since really getting into this forum, Ive wondered if any of you have a brand/grade of oil that is NO LONGER MADE, that ranked high on your list. Every automaker has had that engine that was low maintenance, and just wouldn't stop. Was there an oil from yesterday that "just wouldn't stop" or had a very good blend for its time?

My personal one was Kendall when made in Bradford. Loved the formula, and used it for years and years.

Chevron 5W/30 synthetic. I used it back in the '80s, and it produced measurably better fuel economy than even Mobil 1. When it was no longer easily available retail, I went back to Mobil 1. I would try it again, if it were ever easily available.

Yellow bottle slick 50 Full synthetic oil in the 90's in a Subaru Loyale 1.8L; then, in the mid 2000's (expensive) Yardman White 5w30 snowblower synthetic in the Yaris. A good third rank was Mobil 1 5w30 REAL SYNTHETIC PAO/POA/AN tri syn formula 5w30 in (?) IDK the car (!)

Best recent petro oil was QSGB 5w20 and a shell 5w30/10w30 Formula shell/ Triple protect Rotella mixture in the '09 Subaru EJ253. A decade or so ago Mobil Clean 5000 or EXxon superflow 5w30 was GUD EARL.

Last edited:
A few years ago oil prices were rising but my local grocery store carried a no name oil that met the latest specifications. It must have been old stock as it seldom sold and the price lagged behind. I could simply pick up a conventional oil anytime I went shopping for about %40 off.
Not the "best" oil but a convenient and money saving option.

Oil is better now than its ever been, so no. There's no oil I would even remotely consider going back to.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Oil is better now than its ever been, so no. There's no oil I would even remotely consider going back to.

Wholly agree. There may have been oils in the past that were beyond the minimum oil spec, but in general it wasn't until about API SL oils were released that ANY SL oil was beyond the needs of 90% of people.

I primarily hung around bitog forums to check used oil analysis results of SL oil which were all turning out great. Years passed, API standards became EVEN more strict and we're on SN now.

Tropartic 10w30 semi syn, circa 2005, from Dollar tree, $1/qt. I dumped the shelves into their little picnic shopping baskets whenever it was in stock, which was about half the time. Paid for it, brought basket to car, returned.

It was just when syn blends were starting to filter down to everyman's oil. DT also had dino 10w40; they didn't carry 5w30 synblend as it must have been a couple cents over the line.

So 10w30 was where it's at. BITOG loved the stuff at the time along with Motorcraft, Kendall, and ConocoPhillips.

Exxon Superflo 20W-50 in a Cadillac 7.0L (425 c.i.) V8. That was match made in heaven. The engine was so quiet, all you could hear was the air getting sucked into the carburetor and the accessory drive belts rotating around the pulleys. Unreal quietness.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Amsoil SSO 0w30

In which engine and what was the affect of the oil on the engine?

You gotta tell the whole story like I did.
grin.gif

GTX 20W50 in my 1987 Oldsmobile Toronado Trofeo FE-3 with 3800 V6. At over 300,000 miles,engine purred like a happy kitty :^)

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: zpinch
Amsoil SSO 0w30

In which engine and what was the affect of the oil on the engine?

You gotta tell the whole story like I did.
grin.gif

Was quieter than AZO, burned less oil than AZO, and had a more robust TBN retention it seemed. Has Amsoil taken a turn for the worse? I don't know. 1999 Civic EX w/D16Y7 engine

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Amsoil SSO 0W-30. Only have 1 gallon left.
frown.gif

Maybe it was imply the engine aging, but it changed as soon as i used AZO. When i first used SSO, i was like, serious, how can oil make that much of a difference for noise?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back