Was I wrong here? AITA?

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I was approaching a red light with two cars in the left lane when a Buick Encore moves over to the empty right lane as I approach. Light turns green and the driver accelerates like a snail! So I'm on their bumper and they eventually move over to the left lane and the woman driver in her 30's or early 40's gives me the finger only to make a left turn anyway!

Why move over and get in my way just to be a slow poke when you're making a left anyway?

I use to get angry at people like that, now I wait for the derogatory gesture and then I smile and wave very friendly. Some are just shocked, others you can see the smoke coming from their ears. It seems they really want you to be as angry as they are and when you are not they cant handle it.

Maybe she didn't want to drive slow in the left lane? Don't sweat the small stuff and that's small.

We went to Surprise this morning to watch granddaughters play soccer and went home north on the 17 at 11 am. Stop and slow from New River to Bloody Basin exit.🤬 I wouldn't recommend you do that for your mental health. 😉

I use to get angry at people like that, now I wait for the derogatory gesture and then I smile and wave very friendly. Some are just shocked, others you can see the smoke coming from their ears. It seems they really want you to be as angry as they are and when you are not they cant handle it.

Oh I wasn't angry, I was just perplexed especially when she flipped me off!

Maybe she didn't want to drive slow in the left lane? Don't sweat the small stuff and that's small.

We went to Surprise this morning to watch granddaughters play soccer and went home north on the 17 at 11 am. Stop and slow from New River to Bloody Basin exit.🤬 I wouldn't recommend you do that for your mental health. 😉

Oh I avoid I-17!

Don't bother trying to figure it out. A lot of mental cases behind the wheel. Could be she did not like that you drove a truck , suv, prius, etc. Could be your vehicle looked like an ex's , who knows. A lot of people who have little control in their daily lives, but desperately need control, seek it on the roadways.

I think she never learned how to make turns properly! She likely moves 2 lanes to the left when she needs to make a right turn!

That happens all the time. Many times people will try to move into my lane and not realize I'm in their blind side, then flip me off afterwards like it was my fault for being there and they should be able to switch lanes anytime they wanted.

Or the nut jobs that are in a lane that turns left or right but they want to go straight and they don't have a lane to do that and they need to move into mine and they go nuts thinking I'm taking over their lane when they don't have one.

Just part of normal daily driving here.

I think in driving, they should teach Lead, Follow or Get out of the way.

I do the opposite. As I approach a red light I move into the left lane as a courtesy to others that might need to make a right on a red. A simple explanation for your experience is that she's a selfish driver that is unable to see or think long term, just at the current scenario. Often, I find those drivers at upcoming lights anyways, despite all the lane surfing and driving like idiots and, she's probably running late, AGAIN!

Last edited:
A lot of people are just out of it behind the wheel, but in their minds can do no wrong. She probably thought the people in the left lane would hold her up, but then her phone was more interesting, and then you annoyed her while she was trying to do whatever.

I was approaching a red light with two cars in the left lane when a Buick Encore moves over to the empty right lane as I approach. Light turns green and the driver accelerates like a snail!
Aren’t slower drivers SUPPOSED to be in the right lane?

I don't know that being on their bumper (ie tailgating) is a good idea even if they're driving like a granny. I don't drive like a granny but some knucklehead is always going to want to tailgate everybody that's moving too slow for their tastes and my general reaction is not to speed up.

Back