Warren Dexron VI vs. Valvoline Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ST products will perform as promised and save you $$$ at the same time. Advertising and marketing add to the cost of most products and ST doesn't 'play that game'.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Here's another stir of the Dexron-VI battle.

After a lot of Googling, I dug up a Warren Distribution - Warren Performance Products (same company, different branches) info sheet for their MAG1 Dex-VI. I can't help but think that SuperTech Dex-VI made by Warren has to be the same stuff in a different bottle (made by WPP).

You are right--at least for the gear oils. I've verified that the sku numbers for MAG1 and SuperTech gear oils are identical. No reason to think when it comes to motor oils and ATFs Warren would blend up something different for Wal-Mart. I'm sure their MAG1 and SuperTech stuff is the same across the board.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
I have 13K on the ST DexVI and my Maxima tranny has recieved all kind of OTC soups except Amsoil on my tranny.

Nothing, I mean nothing holds up beyond 20K, u can take my word on it. Almost all miles are highway and to be honest I don't drive it like a 60yr old, I drive it well for what it is designed for (though I never abuse it with WOT etc).

I have 170K on it and the reason it has lasted this long is becoz the fluid has been exchanged frequently.

All ATFs worked the same on my tranny, the best results were Castrol Import ATF, all others including M1 suck when they hit 15-20K miles, period.

Well dang man I guess I better change the 200K factory fill that is in our 4L80E in our 98 K2500 work truck that has towed a landscape trailer full of mowers its whole life then. I mean if your trans lasted to 170K because of fluid changes every 15 to 20K ours must be slightly overdue huh?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
I have 13K on the ST DexVI and my Maxima tranny has recieved all kind of OTC soups except Amsoil on my tranny.

Nothing, I mean nothing holds up beyond 20K, u can take my word on it. Almost all miles are highway and to be honest I don't drive it like a 60yr old, I drive it well for what it is designed for (though I never abuse it with WOT etc).

I have 170K on it and the reason it has lasted this long is becoz the fluid has been exchanged frequently.

All ATFs worked the same on my tranny, the best results were Castrol Import ATF, all others including M1 suck when they hit 15-20K miles, period.

Based on what? UOA?

I put M1 is my Silverado AT and don't like the way it shifts now. At very light throttle it shift too hard.

Originally Posted By: rob6773
I put M1 is my Silverado AT and don't like the way it shifts now. At very light throttle it shift too hard.

Some Dex VI should fix that...

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Here's another stir of the Dexron-VI battle.

After a lot of Googling, I dug up a Warren Distribution - Warren Performance Products (same company, different branches) info sheet for their MAG1 Dex-VI. I can't help but think that SuperTech Dex-VI made by Warren has to be the same stuff in a different bottle (made by WPP).

You are right--at least for the gear oils. I've verified that the sku numbers for MAG1 and SuperTech gear oils are identical. No reason to think when it comes to motor oils and ATFs Warren would blend up something different for Wal-Mart. I'm sure their MAG1 and SuperTech stuff is the same across the board.

-----------------------------------------------

Warren Oil company is just a marketing company. They get oil and other fluids from the big oil companies and bottle it and stick a label on it. You can have a label printed up with, "Joe Bob's Magic oil" or "Mother Moby's Good Time oil", but the oil inside the bottle is Shell or Exxon oil or some other company. The advertising is what makes the oil cost so high in name brands (...when is the last time you saw a NASCAR or SPRINT car with "Super Tech Oil" on it?
55.gif

Their Mission statement (from their website)
"..Warren Oil Company, Inc. is dedicated in providing quality private labels and all major brand lubricants to our valued clients. In addition, we offer our clients an economical way to take advantage of all their oil and lubricants needs, while offering one hundred percent satisfaction with our service..."
-------
A lot people think it's an oil company like Exxon, BP or Ashland Oil (Valvoline) but it's a company that the BIG oil companys send oil to them to sell cheaper, but the BIG oil companys still make a profit on this.
33.gif

Alan

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: acme

Warren Oil company is just a marketing company.

from the Warren Unilube Website

Our world-class manufacturing facility along the Mississippi produces over 55 million gallons of lubricants and chemicals yearly. Our in-line computerized blending system formulates orders from 2,000 gallons up to over 84,000 gallons in a single pass. ...

Manufacturing Capabilities
- 50 Million gallons of Lubricants
- 5 Million gallons of Antifreeze
- 5 Million gallons of fuel additives and brake fluid
- 16 Million gallons of working storage capacity
- Highly automated high-speed lines plus several highly versatile semi-automatic lines
- Over 100 product formulations including synthetic blend capabilities
- In-line computerized blending from 2000 to 84000 gallons @ 350 gallons per minute.
- Manufacturer of the Coastal Products

Just because they do private label doesn't mean they aren't an oil company.

Last edited:
The ST Dex-VI has WPP stamped on the bottom. I believe it's a product of Warren Distribution.

In my mind the Dex VI is so vastly SUpior to Dex-III,T-IV,WS and a host of other's that even if Warren pinched it a tad tight one day it should still grossly exceed what it is replacing! Toyota's T-IV and WS suck more then a Hoover Vacuum Cleaner! I have never seen a good UOA ont hem even at a modest 30K mile UOA!

So in my applications 2002 Tundra and 2007 Camry that get's their ATF fluid changed every 15,000 miles drain and fill something like Generic Dex-VI is not a big issue!

I do wish Warren would improve it quality control so I could trust them a bit more but unlike the gear lube this stuff only has to last 15,000 miles for me to be happy.If I had a transmission that did not have a drain plug and was not getting fresh fluid infused every 15,000 miles I would opt for something like Redline D4 or AMsoil or Castrol Syntorq etc.......Life is simpler though when you have a drain plug!

Or my Buick that has a dipstick tube big enough to snake a hose down to pump out the pan.

So far my car is enjoying the ST Dex-VI. Smooth shifts and better cold performance. Even if it isn't the "best" Dex-VI out there, it's better than all the cheap Dex/Merc fluids!

I did a drain and fill on my car this past weekend with Super Tech Dex VI (4qts). M1 aft came out with 35k on it. The ST aft is shifting perfectly and I plan on keep using this fluid from now on. I will just do yearly dran and fill with this fluid because I don't plan on paying $9qt for M1 atf anymore.

I then changed my mothers aft in her maxima with 2qts of ST Dex-6 and 2qts of Castrol Dex-6. She told me she immediately can tell the difference in shift peformance. She is happy!

Super Tech???? Bottom of the barrel fluid choice not worthy of the saving based on only 4 quarts investment vs a full synthetic premium atf like mobil 1/amsoil/redline in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Super Tech???? Bottom of the barrel fluid choice not worthy of the saving based on only 4 quarts investment vs a full synthetic premium atf like mobil 1/amsoil/redline in my opinion.

Have you used the ST Dexron-VI yourself? It works great as the sole ATF in my Buick.

Go back to Nico...we can debate over there
23.gif
No really I didn't want to use the expensive M1 atf again. My tranny got to 175k WITHOUT USING M1 full syn atf, just dino atf. My car has 212k now with the M1 atf.

ST Dex VI is a very good fluid and I will be doing another drain n refill in 3k miles so I can have 70% new fluid in my car and do yearly drain afterwards (15k oci). It is well noted that ALL Dex VI has a tight leash on what oils/additives can be used to make this fluid. I'm happy especially since I added Lubegard Red to help with the heat...

Have you used the ST Dexron-VI yourself? It works great as the sole ATF in my Buick.

How can anything run great in a buick????

That begs the next question: have you driven a full-size Buick since 1995? You haven't seen my posts or Benzadmiral's posts about how we really enjoy our Buicks. Solid engines, comfy ride, okay handling for being large cars, and astounding highway fuel economy.

Go test-drive a 2010 Buick sedan with Dex-VI in the transmission. You'll be surprised.

If you do some research on Dex-VI, you'll also find out why many folks on this board are pleased with Super Tech Dexron-VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back