Warren Dexron VI vs. Valvoline Dexron VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another stir of the Dexron-VI battle.

After a lot of Googling, I dug up a Warren Distribution - Warren Performance Products (same company, different branches) info sheet for their MAG1 Dex-VI. I can't help but think that SuperTech Dex-VI made by Warren has to be the same stuff in a different bottle (made by WPP).

MAG1/likely ST: http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/61296sheet.pdf

For comparison, here's Valvoline's Dex-VI info sheet: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Valvoline_DEXRON_VI_ATF.pdf

Long story short, the specs on the Dexron-VI fluids are eerily similar. What that means I'm not sure.

What do the rest of you think?

Same additive package from the same company, such as Afton with same base oil spec will produce very similar end products. Dex VI spec is very specific as to additive package and from which company. I have used Supertech DexVI since it has a license number on it and have had good results.

I think I'm in the same boat you guys are in. I want to do a fluid change in my Silverado, yet can't decide what to go with. The cost side makes me lean towards super tech, but the anal side makes me lean towards amsoil or a brand such as valvoline or castrol.

Decisions...decisions..

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I think I'm in the same boat you guys are in. I want to do a fluid change in my Silverado, yet can't decide what to go with. The cost side makes me lean towards super tech, but the anal side makes me lean towards amsoil or a brand such as valvoline or castrol.

Decisions...decisions..

I know how you feel..

In America there is a price attached to everything. I am no expert in fluids but I can bet that Valvoline will be better than ST.

BTW, I have ST DexVI in my 00 maxima and have been quite happy with the results, nothing remarkable but on the same not nothing negative to say too.

All ATF fluids "suck" once they hit the 15K mark. Having said that, I would use ST with OCIs.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
In America there is a price attached to everything. I am no expert in fluids but I can bet that Valvoline will be better than ST.

BTW, I have ST DexVI in my 00 maxima and have been quite happy with the results, nothing remarkable but on the same not nothing negative to say too.

All ATF fluids "suck" once they hit the 15K mark. Having said that, I would use ST with OCIs.

I think that would depend on a person's drving habit...

The Dex VI in my Balt is doing pretty good at 40k....car has done mostly highway driving.....

How many miles have on the ST aft in your car? My M1 atf is still shifting perfectly in my tranny since I've changed it at 175k. I've been afraid to use that fluid since they had spec issues with their gear oil. Is there a license num on the ST Dex VI?

I have 13K on the ST DexVI and my Maxima tranny has recieved all kind of OTC soups except Amsoil on my tranny.

Nothing, I mean nothing holds up beyond 20K, u can take my word on it. Almost all miles are highway and to be honest I don't drive it like a 60yr old, I drive it well for what it is designed for (though I never abuse it with WOT etc).

I have 170K on it and the reason it has lasted this long is becoz the fluid has been exchanged frequently.

All ATFs worked the same on my tranny, the best results were Castrol Import ATF, all others including M1 suck when they hit 15-20K miles, period.

That's a pretty severe fatigue rate there. I can see many fluids shearing after xxxx miles ..but that's totally normal ..or was normal. Being trashed and needing replacement? No one would buy that trans nor buy a used car with it. Way too expensive to own.

GM set a tight spec for Dexron-VI. The cheap stuff will meet GM's spec...if they blend it right, and don't screw up the blending as happened with some ST gear oil.

I'll stick with a top brand and not roll the dice to save a coupl'a bucks.

(this isn't a response to anyone particular, the board automatically makes this a response to the last poster)

Valvoline-vs-Wal-Mart ATF

With the Valvoline oil you are paying extra for that NASCAR soap box you see on TV going around in circles. I would rather save the money and spend it on something else like a dinner at a nice restaurant. Both ATF's are made in USA or at least in North America. If it makes you feel special to use Amsoil, Red-Line, Royal-Purple, etc, than buy it.

Last edited:
Seeing how the specs are very close I'll go with the ST. Well, I've already voted with my wallet and bought it. Even if they've screwed up the blending, I'm pretty sure the 4T65 in my LeSabre will truck on.

I have 13K on the ST DexVI and my Maxima tranny has recieved all kind of OTC soups except Amsoil on my tranny.

Nothing, I mean nothing holds up beyond 20K, u can take my word on it. Almost all miles are highway and to be honest I don't drive it like a 60yr old, I drive it well for what it is designed for (though I never abuse it with WOT etc).

I have 170K on it and the reason it has lasted this long is becoz the fluid has been exchanged frequently.

All ATFs worked the same on my tranny, the best results were Castrol Import ATF, all others including M1 suck when they hit 15-20K miles, period.

I understand that. I'm going back to dino aft since that's what I had in there to get me to 175k. I can get two ST Dex VI for the price I would be paying for 1 M1aft(marketing). Do you just perfore a pan drop every xxx miles or do you change the TC fluid too? I plan on doing just a drain & refill when I change my oil tomorrow with ST Dex VI. I will just do it every 5k with my oci since I'll be under the car.

Oh, do you have documents that ALL fluids are worn out by 15-20k? If so I would like to read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back