warranty claims and diy oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have problems doing your own oil, keeping all receipts and making an engine related warranty claim. I really don't want to go to the dealership for routine maintenance if I don't have to.

I read somewhere on the web that its not a good idea to buy oil far away from the date that you do the change. (Sorry, I cannot find the link) The reasoning is the dealership has no way to verify the oil was actually changed.

I know I'm being paranoid, but I'd like to hear the opinions on this.

Thanks

Just keep the receipts, filter box lids with the mileage and date written and a log.

I buy oil on sale and use it up years later.

Unlike others, I HAD a car MFG warranty an engine problem (and ask for proof of oil changes) and the above worked well. Just make sure the oil you buy is the correct oil as they did check UPC numbers.

Take care, Bill

Thanks Bill.

I forgot about the filter lids... good idea

did they give you a hassle about non-oem filters if you were using them?

Originally Posted By: mozart
Thanks Bill.

By US Federal Law, they cannot hassle you about the filters or the oil if they meet manufacturer specs.

Quote:
By US Federal Law, they cannot hassle you about the filters or the oil if they meet manufacturer specs.

But they can stonewall until they go bankrupt and you're stuck paying the bill.

Another alternative to dealership maintenance is to have the work done at any licensed motor vehicle repair shop and save the receipts that detail the work done, date, and mileage.

The law is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and you make a very important point, "...if they meet manufacturer specs." The items used MUST meet the published specs. In the case of oil filters, they specs aren't published, so you're relying on the oil filter maker to cover any engine damage caused by a defective filter...which only is valid if you use the listed filter for your engine, not a "superior" oversized filter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

On my computer, I keep a detailed log of mileage and work done to each vehicle. I print out what has been done, and place a copy in the glovebox, and store it with other important papers. This way, I have a copy of oil changes and other work done in case I have a problem while I travel.

I buy oil and filters on sale, and keep the receipts. I buy the manufactures approved weight of oil, and I use brand name filters that are reccommended for my car. When I change oil in my car that is under warranty, I save the top flap of the box that shows the model number and manufacture of the oil filter used. After refilling the crankcase with oil, I use a sharp knife to cut the UPS code from the plastic bottles, and after wiping the oil from them, I tape them to the oil filter flap. On that flap, I write the date, mileage, and oil used for this change. I keep this in a drawer in my toolbox.

Overkill? I don't think so. This way I have detailed records of vehicle oil and filter changes. it only takes me a few extra minutes, and I sleep well knowing that I have the records if needed.

The Dealership charges me about $12 when I bring the oil and filter; I get the dealership service receipt with the VIN, date of change etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Patrick M at Hyundai of Wesley Chapel charges me about $12 when I bring the oil and filter. He also gives me the dealership service receipt with the VIN, date of change etc.

I know a few people who do that with their hondas and fords...

Just be smart and take the car to the dealer for the oil changes to document warranty compliance.

In my Ford maintenance book is says "Ford Motor Co. will not deny a warranty claim simply because there is no documentation".

i have a 07 focus and i am going to change it myself...i have kept most of my receipts for OCs..40k and no problems....it is easy to tell if engine has been abused, i always maintain my engine

I've been cutting the label out of the oil bottle and the oil filter box and putting them in a envelope with the date, mileage and work done. Hopefully that will be enough for the warranty.

Originally Posted By: mozart
Thanks Bill.

They did not. All they cared about was I followed recommended OCI with proper oil and filters.

I actually did better then what they recommended.

Change it your self and be SURE that your vehicle is being done RIGHT. No stripped or over tightened plugs, no double oil filter gaskets and proper level for oil.
01.gif

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: 65cuda
I've been cutting the label out of the oil bottle and the oil filter box and putting them in a envelope with the date, mileage and work done. Hopefully that will be enough for the warranty.
Not needed. Just keep the receipts, filter box lids and log it in a book or spreadsheet.

Date, amount, mileage and what was done is all you need.

My entries look like;

4-20-09 130,850 changed oil with 4 quarts of Pennzoil conventional 5w-30 and Supertech ST4967 filter.

Take care, Bill

I keep an Excel spread sheet and the invoices for the oil and filter. I also buy what is on sale, and in advance since like other BITOG'ers I have an oil stash. I've been doing the Excel spread sheet for years and it is very detailed. I can't imagine them giving me a problem with the kind of records I keep. I can even tell you the last time I waxed one of my cars based on my records. I also keep the box tops from the filters, and the label with the UPC code from the oil bottles. HTH

Part of the Law is that if they specify a specific Manufacturer Part to maintain warrenty, they must furnish this part FREE while the car is under warrenty. This keeps them from specifying just their part.

I had a GM engine warranty claim where they wanted to see proof of maintenance. I showed them my spiral notebook with dates, mileage, receipts of bulk oil purchases, bar codes from the oil containers and factory filters. They had no issue at all with it. FWIW if you have an OLM and reset it. The ECM stores the mileage at reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back