Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ed_T
uh oh

needs a new title badly, did you even watch the video?

IF you use seafoam or do other types of induction cleaning you may blow the turbo seals etc.

They aren't frying turbochargers or melting cats, that guy is a moron.
Top tier fuel and really use the engine, as in an Italian tune up is all that's needed to keep the valves clean enough to not cause cold drivability concerns.

But the concern with carbon on the rear of the valves seems to be a problem on these engines like most of the other DI engines.
What i find weird is they say replace the heads. Why not closed valve walnut shell blasting with vacuum system?
I would use this before swapping the heads.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682116

EcoBoost, DI, no thanks. Part 2. It sounds like a low Noack oil or PCV direct to exhaust might be helpful although the latter is definitely not EPA approved and would take a bit of doing as i am sure it probably has a ecm controlled PCV.

PCV is still stuck in the old carb'd days, where fuel could actually wash the intake manifold and not cause carbon buildup. Port injection just washes the intake port/valve, DI is worse. Just my opinion though, after all these years of advancing fuel delivery technology we would use a better crankcase scavenging system besides draft tubes.

IMO PCV is the devil to DI engines. Even modern engines still and engineers haven't come up a way to solve that.

I have never understood why these deposits were bad. On lightly driven engines it should not impeded airflow that badly.

But on this misfire engine is the problem from small bits of gunk getting dislodged and landing on the seat and causing momentary low compression?

The moral of this story is that if you keep a vehicle don't start with a DI engine until these problems are solved for sure. What ever gain there might be with such an engine it might not be worth the risk. If you change cars before the warranty then it probably makes no difference except for the possible down time at the dealer. I certainly would not buy a used vehicle with a DI engine. For me, simple is better. I can live without the latest whatever.

{removed insult}

If you watched the video, you'd see it is if you use cleaning agents in the intake. Which kind of makes sense if it raises the EGT or gets through unburned.

There is no evdence that cooked turbos or cats are an issue on the Ecoboost.

I've got an 81k example, fed the cheapest swill gas I can find that runs as well as the day I drove it off the showroom. Same MPGs all these miles, and a hoot to drive. I'm really not concerned about valve deposits on the 3.5 - seems to be doing just fine. According to the snake oil and catch can salesmen I should have low fuel economy and be on the verge of engine death which isn't the case.

The 3.5 has been out since mid 2009 and failures are few and far between just like any other modern engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasted 16 minutes of my life to listen to some hack speculate about the way ahead for Ford and how to upsell "induction services". Induction services which, by the way, are not endorsed by FoMoCo and identified as the root cause of multiple turbo and cat failures.
I cannot see how a cold misfire could be attributed to intake valve deposits when the compression readings were the same across all four holes. Makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
"There is no evdence that cooked turbos or cats are an issue on the Ecoboost."

Listening to the FordTechMakuloco video, I thought I understood him to say that pouring cleaner down the hatch has been destroying these items according to Ford Engineering. Did I miss something?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'm almost curious if the carbon absorbs fuel & then boils it back off when hot-not sure how it does that when the fuel is directly injected.

I recall reading on a BMW forum some time ago that the carbon accumulations were so bad that engine output was noticeably reduced. BMW's cure was walnut-shelling the intakes and charging $2,500 as it was not covered by warranty the original poster stated. As the first video stated, Ford is starting to see carbon accumulation now that mileages are racking up. It will be interesting to see just how they're going to handle things. Are they really going to swap cylinder heads every 20k miles? I kind of doubt it.

I found it odd that the tech said something about how they were finding this as miles racked up. Didn't this mill get hundreds of thousands of miles and hours of testing? I hate to give into my typical FUD but that is contradictory messages.

Originally Posted By: supton
I found it odd that the tech said something about how they were finding this as miles racked up. Didn't this mill get hundreds of thousands of miles and hours of testing? I hate to give into my typical FUD but that is contradictory messages.

Yes, but like anything, not just the Eco-boost, testing can only do so much...
smile.gif
. It is the public that really lets you know how good something is.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

Can't really argue with real world feedback. Who knows "how" F really did that testing? It's a great lineup of engines, but nothing man made is perfect that's for sure.

They spend all sorts of time/resources testing how it will do when overloaded and screaming uphill for miles on end, but not when it's used for multiple short trips for weeks at a time.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The moral of this story is that if you keep a vehicle don't start with a DI engine until these problems are solved for sure. What ever gain there might be with such an engine it might not be worth the risk. If you change cars before the warranty then it probably makes no difference except for the possible down time at the dealer. I certainly would not buy a used vehicle with a DI engine. For me, simple is better. I can live without the latest whatever.

That's how I feel. These threads about DI issues keep popping up, when they stop it should be safe to jump in.

Originally Posted By: Ed_T
"There is no evdence that cooked turbos or cats are an issue on the Ecoboost."

Listening to the FordTechMakuloco video, I thought I understood him to say that pouring cleaner down the hatch has been destroying these items according to Ford Engineering. Did I miss something?

That is not a normal operation mode for ANY engine. And nowhere in any Ecoboost owner's manual does it say to "pour cleaner in the intake". You can safely pour whatever you like as far as additives in the gas tank.

So therefore doing something outside the normal operating mode and experiencing failure is not a defect or even an issue to concern yourself with.

Don't use things like Seafoam, Berrymans, etc in the intake and you will have nothing to worry about. Plenty have hydrolocked their engines with Seafoam through the master cylendar vaccuum line. But those don't make cool headlines for you.

Where is this "proof" that EB's are regularly spitting cats and puking turbos when driven and used as intended?

As my removed comment said, this looks like a troll, walks like a troll, and grunts like a troll.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
They spend all sorts of time/resources testing how it will do when overloaded and screaming uphill for miles on end, but not when it's used for multiple short trips for weeks at a time.

I don't see why that would be hard to test for. Set the dyno to start, run through, say 10 minutes, shut off for 10, repeat for an hour. Let it sit, then repeat, etc. To me it seems like just another test that can be automated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back