WARNING of Amazon glitch (STATUS: remedied)

We have had Prime for years.
I ordered 4 things yesterday (2 of one item and 2 others), one of which arrived today.
I got an email today telling me I was enjoying a 30 day free Prime membership and that I'd be billed $14.99/month thereafter.
I freaked, collected myself and foraged around their website.
I found a "Request for a phone call" selection and entered my number. They called immediately.
That call dropped after 20 seconds.

I reentered my phone number on the same page and they called immediately again. I let it ring twice.
My rep (call center in Manila, Philippines) was very nice and looked me up.
She found our long standing account number, verifying it with our street address and email address.
She also found my order from yesterday -and the "auto-renewal" contract attached to it- and it.

I was pleased and relieved.

However, I forgot to nail down the status of our existing Prime account as I was bubbling with happiness over killing the "automatic renewal" nonsense.

PLAN: I will go back to their website later today or tomorrow and see if our long standing account is reestablished.

THOUGHT: I think this is when our annual membership expires. This could be the source of the mistake.
Still, I'm happy I caught it promptly.

Glad it works for you. I don't know how much money I saved not joining.

I ordered 4 things yesterday (2 of one item and 2 others), one of which arrived today.
I got an email today telling me I was enjoying a 30 day free Prime membership and that I'd be billed $14.99/month thereafter.
I freaked, collected myself and foraged around their website.
I found a "Request for a phone call" selection and entered my number. They called immediately.
That call dropped after 20 seconds.

I reentered my phone number on the same page and they called immediately again. I let it ring twice.
My rep (call center in Manila, Philippines) was very nice and looked me up.
She found our long standing account number, verifying it with our street address and email address.
She also found my order from yesterday -and the "auto-renewal" contract attached to it- and it.

I was pleased and relieved.

However, I forgot to nail down the status of our existing Prime account as I was bubbling with happiness over killing the "automatic renewal" nonsense.

PLAN: I will go back to their website later today or tomorrow and see if our long standing account is reestablished.

THOUGHT: I think this is when our annual membership expires. This could be the source of the mistake.
Still, I'm happy I caught it promptly.
Sounds like your account is compromised. Amazon doesn't send out those kind of emails...period.

This sounds suspect. And now whomever sent you that email has your phone # and quite likely a good amount of information about you. I would look long and hard at that email and I'd probably start changing passwords and **enabling 2FA/MFA on every online account I have**.

I got an email today telling me I was enjoying a 30 day free Prime membership
You're already a Prime member, you get an email giving you a 30-day free membership .... and you didn't think this was suspect ?

I got an email today that verizon got my payment and here is a free gift for my loyalty......

Hint I dont have verizon.

But KIRa did say they looked up the number on amazon to get callback. they didnt respond directly to email.
So might be ok.

I got an email today that verizon got my payment and here is a free gift for my loyalty......

But KIRa did say they looked up the number on amazon to get callback. they didnt respond directly to email.
So might be ok.
NO-they wouldn't have to look up the number to call back. The original phone call was returned twice-and hung up once. That's when they had the phone number of who was calling. Any email I received from "Amazon" when checking the return address was determined to be FAKE. EVERYTHING Amazon does is conducted through their website-they have absolutely ZERO REASONS to send you an email. People who try to scam you do this for a living. They are very articulate and can think fast. Faster than most who fall for such a scheme.

So might be ok.
Well my Wells Fargo account was suspended and I don't have Wells Fargo.

It's tax season. Watch out for ALL scams!

The scam is ohio didnt sent out 1099 yet.. yea the ones supposed to be mailed jan 31.
3 phone calls and still processing it.(not mine just helping with taxes)

Allow me to fill in some cracks.
Over a 4 to 6 week period I let a "cart" with a laptop case, a bug deflector for my Ranger and 2 cans of Berryman's sit. There was no rush.
In fact I was mixed over the hood mounted bug deflector.
Neighbor smashed his car's key head and feared a huge dealership bill.
I found repair shells on Amazon instantly. The deflector was deleted and I added the repair shell. Order sent.

What I did was sign in as normal. Amazon took the order and had both current and expired card numbers.
"Ship it Prime...." The graphics looked good. Offers related to the price increase were on the page.

Remember, I got one of the items (key head shell) today.

I went to customer service on Amazon.com (me go, not link) and requested they call me as per their selection menus.
The dropped phone call could've been my 1 bar. During the second, after re-requesting a phone call, I walked nearer a window and got 2 bars and a clean call.

The rep said she cancelled the auto-renewal. A personalized email came restating her name, what she had done (cancel auto-renewal) and included the expiration date of our current Prime membership. There was a familiar survey attached.

I think I'm OK. I didn't know clicking "ship it Prime" led to the Prime offer as I thought it was just the next step.
Had I known any confusion was afoot I' would've gone directly to customer service.

We are watching the card like a hawk. I'll post any developments.

Allow me to fill in some cracks.
Over a 4 to 6 week period I let a "cart" with a laptop case, a bug deflector for my Ranger and 2 cans of Berryman's sit. There was no rush.
In fact I was mixed over the hood mounted bug deflector.
Neighbor smashed his car's key head and feared a huge dealership bill.
I found repair shells on Amazon instantly. The deflector was deleted and I added the repair shell. Order sent.

What I did was sign in as normal. Amazon took the order and had both current and expired card numbers.
"Ship it Prime...." The graphics looked good. Offers related to the price increase were on the page.

Remember, I got one of the items (key head shell) today.

I went to customer service on Amazon.com (me go, not link) and requested they call me as per their selection menus.
The dropped phone call could've been my 1 bar. During the second, after re-requesting a phone call, I walked nearer a window and got 2 bars and a clean call.

The rep said she cancelled the auto-renewal. A personalized email came restating her name, what she had done (cancel auto-renewal) and included the expiration date of our current Prime membership. There was a familiar survey attached.

I think I'm OK. I didn't know clicking "ship it Prime" led to the Prime offer as I thought it was just the next step.
Had I known any confusion was afoot I' would've gone directly to customer service.

We are watching the card like a hawk. I'll post any developments.
I would put in as much effort in changing your password(s) as you are posting on this forum. How long does it take to change your Amazon password? I mean really......

And don't freak out. The scammers want you to freak out so that you're not thinking clearly.
I could write a book about what they do.

I had many talents when I was younger; writing a book was not one of them. Not like there would be money or worth my time TO write a book, but. If you want a firehose/spigot, we can discuss lol.

Scammers play on the emotionally weak and gullible, I'm still somewhat dealing with one in real life (they guilted me into taking down my accurate, "This person got me for $xxx.xx and here is the proof" review I left, that's how they operate) under the guise of making it right.. eh, I'd rather hold out a flickering candle of hope that is true than crush it with a rock and reaffirm my bias that it is lost forever. Shutting the spigot off there.

I could write a book on scammers. Ugh. Hate them.

Then they tell you it's your fault for giving it to them.. lovely people, these.

On the Amazon site, click on My Account at the top, then the Prime button, then Manage Membership (Update, Cancel, and More) and click End Membership (Cancel). I don't know where Request a Phone Call might be but I'm certain they make it harder than that.

On the Amazon site, click on My Account at the top, then the Prime button, then Manage Membership (Update, Cancel, and More) and click End Membership (Cancel). I don't know where Request a Phone Call might be but I'm certain they make it harder than that.
I've had very good success with Amazon chat function to customer service. No worries about accents or misunderstandings, either. It's very easy and the chat people are very empowered to make things right for you.

Oh yeah during covid I signed up for Prime, but then every delivery would take 3-5 days or more and I got tired of everything being late instead of 2 days so I went online and complained thinking that they'd just extend me a month or two, but then they just refunded my entire prime purchase which wasn't what I wanted but that was good enough for me. They also delivered a package to the wrong address and I didn't get it for several days after they said it was delivered, but then I found it in the building next door and told them to cancel the shipment as I found the package and they went ahead and refunded me anyway even though they didn't need to do that.

Back