Warning!! Jiffy lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was posted a little earlier in a different thread. I already avoided Jiffy Lube (and other quick lube places) after several unpleasant experiences, but I can safely say I'll never let a quick lube monkey touch any car of mine as long as I live.

well its good to get it out to as many people as possible. i know i do my own fluid changes ( of course) but alot of people out there go to these places faithfully.

chris

and some of them are perfectly fine. not all jiffy lubes are like this, i worked at one. it just seems like they are because only the bad ones get exposed and no one shows the good things that the good ones do. jiffy lube also seems to have the biggest target on them.

F***ing lousy way to do business and treat customers. I'm glad I know enough to do my own repairs and maintenance.

When Gypie Boob's internal policies sanction employees who don't meet the "budget"* consistently, I take with a grain of salt the notion not all Gypie Boobs are like the San Fernando and Burbank area shops. As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between those two area shops and the rest is that those two areas were put under video surveillance and the goods were got on 'em. The report also noted that these shops had failed the taste test on two previous reports over the past three years - mute evidence the problem goes higher than local wildcat "policy". (I loved the part about the corporate "training" to avoid such problems in the future: the "training" consisted of counseling on how to recognize KNBC's news team before it had a chance to set up for any future stings.
smile.gif
)

*"pushing" unrequested extra services on gullible customers - whether the work is ever performed or not.

I have yet to see in the 4 years i've been living in South Florida one honest quick lube place or an honest tire shop.My SisterPOP>Friends all have been victim to these RIP-OFF artists.I trust none of them and would like to see all go out of buisness.

The problem here in Florida most elderly people believe their line of crap and let them do the work which most likely isn't even getting done.The most famous line they give down here is LADY YOU JUST MADE IT IN HERE.The sad part is they believe these idiots.

In fact there is one super rip-off place here that has done so good on ripping off customers they opened 7 more rip-off shops in Broward and Miami-Dade county.

They also have a big add for oil change for 8.88 and the customers never leave with a whopping bill of under 800 bucks.

At least i got my family away from these ripoffs and now they ONLY go to the dealer.

i still say do it yourself if you can but in defense of one quick lube place ( mobil express ) or something like that its mobil regardless they work on your car while you sit in the car. pretty hard to screw you over while you are right there. lol but as far as jiffy lube goes no way! hahaha the mobil that i did go to at one point would even right the date they did the service on the product themselves such as the oil and fuel filter.

quote:

Originally posted by mcrn:
i still say do it yourself if you can but in defense of one quick lube place ( mobil express ) or something like that its mobil regardless they work on your car while you sit in the car. pretty hard to screw you over while you are right there. lol but as far as jiffy lube goes no way! hahaha the mobil that i did go to at one point would even right the date they did the service on the product themselves such as the oil and fuel filter.

What can you see either with the hood open or underneath the vehicle from a closed door, interior cabin view of your car???

Answer?..... absolutely nothing!

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

quote:

Originally posted by MIAMI-DADE:
At least i got my family away from these ripoffs and now they ONLY go to the dealer.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire...

Yeah but at least when they get their oil changed now nobody comes back and says they need 10 million different things.Every ounce in awhile they might say you need something down the road but no high pressure and most times they say you need nothing.

At all the other places it was a nightmare to get the oil changed as they never ever wanted you leave without a 800 buck bill.

I'm not saying all dealers are good.You just have to ask around with people who have the same car as you and get information on who they like.

All this stuff is a good arguement for the small independent mechanic, that has a couple of employees and depends on word of mouth and return customers. You can find these guys if you do some research, and it's worth the trouble.

Typical, and the dealerships are no better. Finding a good honest mechanic can be tough, but they do exist. If I bring a car in for service, (not often I do must if not all work myself whenever possible). I watch and make sure the work is being done.

I worked in dealerships with mechanics and learned all the ways they use to rip off the public. IT SUCKS!

Frank D

quote:

Originally posted by demarpaint:
Typical, and the dealerships are no better. Finding a good honest mechanic can be tough, but they do exist. If I bring a car in for service, (not often I do must if not all work myself whenever possible). I watch and make sure the work is being done.

I worked in dealerships with mechanics and learned all the ways they use to rip off the public. IT SUCKS!

Frank D

The problem with a independent shop is when you can find one they open at 9am and close at 4pm and their closed on Saturday. At least here in Florida.So you have no way was getting to work especially if you work 50 miles away and have to be there at 7am and they close before you can pick it up.Sounds minor but its a big problem.Plus they don't want you to leave it there the night before because they have no room and most are in a high crime area.

At the dealer you can leave it there the night before or early like 6am pick up your rental car right at the dealer from Enterprise rent a car and your off to work and you can pick up your car till around 7pm.Plus their open in Saturdays all day.

You can't take a day off every time the car goes in the shop.

quote:

Originally posted by demarpaint:

Frank D

I am friends with a couple of the independent mechanics that have their own shops in my area. They are basically decent guys, but limited in their technical resources. I have used two local dealers here in Sheboygan, the Chevrolet dealer and the Ford/Suzuki dealer lately for a few jobs that needed equipment I didn't have (alignment, suspension, body shop, etc.) I found them to be very polite, knowledgable, honest and fair. They have the latest equipment, and tech support from the manufacturers. They have convenient hours, and a shuttle to drive me to work. Maybe they can see that I am not easy to fool and are treating me differently, but I doubt it. Being in a smaller community, they are bound to be more honest . . . a bad reputation would spread quickly here.

PRE-BITOG: Out in the Midwest (Wisconsin/Iowa) - Several oil change places I went to actually had you sit in the car while they did everything - You had mirrors that showed you everything they did. Never had a problem with these places.

Now, out here in California you have people changing your oil that can't speak English and couldn't find the oil filter on a 2.2L Ecotec (cartridge filter). They proceed to dump oil all over your engine and never check the oil level. Besides that, I got my air box screws stripped beyond repair.

Now: I change my own oil. Recently, I've started changing oil for my family as well (Sister, parents, etc...). Nothing beats knowing you did it right.

I can't stand knowing how many people drive out of these quick oil change places with 1-2quarts low on oil, stripped drain plugs, and missing oil caps. Just for kicks - look at how many people drove out of those places leaking oil like a wounded beast. Scary!
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
PRE-BITOG: Out in the Midwest (Wisconsin/Iowa) - Several oil change places I went to actually had you sit in the car while they did everything - You had mirrors that showed you everything they did. Never had a problem with these places.

Now, out here in California you have people changing your oil that can't speak English and couldn't find the oil filter on a 2.2L Ecotec (cartridge filter). They proceed to dump oil all over your engine and never check the oil level. Besides that, I got my air box screws stripped beyond repair.

I can't stand knowing how many people drive out of these quick oil change places with 1-2quarts low on oil, stripped drain plugs, and missing oil caps. Just for kicks - look at how many people drove out of those places leaking oil like a wounded beast. Scary!
freak2.gif

Sounds like all of South Florida.Plus the help at these places changes every couple of days.

Just last week a friend wanted to go to a quick lube against my advice.They started putting the oil in before the guy underneath got done putting the plug back on and the filter.All the oil poured on the guy underneath.
pat.gif

Also he found out later they used recyled oil.

I started life as a car mechanic after high school. Went to a program at a Jr College and all that stuff. I liked the job and was good at it, worked at a dealership for British cars. The quality of those cars keep me busy. One day the general manager came to me and said there was a new program and we had to meet a goal on every car we worked on. While he was talking I was putting my tools away and cleaning up, late on a Friday. At the end of his pitch, which included a pay raise, he asked what I thought. I said something to the effect that he was an sob, and now I'm out of a job and have to start over, somewhere else, that I would, now have to do it without getting a reference from my current job. I loaded up my tools and left. I liked my job and he took it from me. I saw the look on his face. He was confused and did not understand a word I said. I might as well have spoken to him in Greek. I did get a great recommendation from the Service Manager, and did find another job. The car business is full of general managers like him, and they are rewarded for their deeds. Jiffy Lube is not an auto service business, it's a balance sheet, and you must never forget that, if you are ever tempted to do business with them. Find the small, honest, clean independent shop. If the owner charges a little more, pay it. Buy him a Christmas present, and a birthday card. Treat him like a friend, and tell your friends. It's a better deal than any coupon or sale.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back