Warehouse robots

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cnet.com/news/meet-amazons-busiest-employee-the-kiva-robot/ watch the robot clip
13.gif

It is a bit scary, I recently drove around the end of Lake Ontario through the GTA and you can see millions, maybe billions of square feet of retail business, all paying high commercial rate municipal taxes and employing local people.
Probably 80% of that retail space could be eliminated by online retailers... I don't know what the local economy looks like then.

Mobile picking locations. Sure seems like there'd be a lot less human error too.. Less "missing" inventory.

I worked at Kraft Foods and they had a huge refrigerated warehouse for the finished cheese products. It was all robot picked by two pallet loaders.

A lot of sensors that can go bad but it was 1990s technology.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Mobile picking locations. Sure seems like there'd be a lot less human error too..

Possibly true, but I have gotten the wrong stuff from Amazon plenty of times anyway.

The local hospital has tugs (I think that's what they're called) that roll around the hallways, use elevators etc. to deliver meds and food to patients. They basically look like a drink cart on an airliner.

Back when they were first in use, 2 had each other cornered in a hallway. Both were confused and wouldn't move until they had the clear.

Its pretty funny, but this sort of thing is expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back