War of the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else watch this three part series on PBS? I watched it off my PVR last night and I thought it was very good. I can't think of a historical documentary that I enjoyed so much. It gave me a new perspective on much of the military conflict of the twentieth century, which may not be saying much as I am a novice when it comes to history.

I'm surprised there was no mention of the Lusitania in the documentary. He didn't get into too many details of what happened during WW1 though.

Everyone wants to look back and say the that WWI was caused by this or that, but the world was a tinderbox at that time. After 6 decades of relative peace and quiet things were bound to start happening. Nobody makes any money when stuff isn't happening as railroad building had matured. Any time you have a lot of idle young men hanging around you can bet there will be action, soon, somewhere.

So then, is that justification to sink the boat carrying civilians...

Why not stop it, and have the "evidence" in hand?

Certainly the mistake was thinking the Germans wouldn't sink a civilian vessel...or are you with the Germans here, that a civilian vessel with little capacity to defend itself is fair game if suspected of carrying munitions?

Incidentally, the 4M rounds sounds like modern western civilization bashing through propaganda.

Sounds awfully like the use of human shields to me.

You know what sort of barbarians use them.

Are you serious?

I don't recall hearing the Lusitania firing shots at anyone then and using human sheilds to hide behind.

There's a difference between shipping weapons on a boat full of private citizens and firing a gun from behind them.

And besides, it's debateable as to if the Lusitania was carrying any weapons at all.

And don't tell us you KNOW. You believe what you want to hear, you don't know unless you were there and you weren't.

Ok, and for clarity's sake, because you weren't there and you don't know...you're provided the license to propagate this human shields theory?

If you can have a theory based on your review of third party evidence provided by long dead people with an agenda, then surely I'm entitled to the same liberty.

Claiming neutrality, while hiding ammunition in a civilian vessel, counting on England's enemy not to fire...what else would you call it ?

I agree, the German's shouldn't have sunk it....they should never have been given a reason.

LOL, where did I say I have a theory on the subject.

Oh, so it's the USA conspiring against the citizens of England now is it?

Ok, how about this....the Australians meddling in Japanese far east affairs caused the deaths of 200,000 Americans in the Pacific....how's that for theories?

Ok an non-response....no argument...theory confirmed.

Australia's meddling into the Japanese far eastern affairs dragged us out of "neutrality" and got 200,000 of my fellow Americans killed.

With the quality of "news" these days...posting such a ridiculous statement such as this might gain traction. Creating a website and posting it there would immediately transform it to a historical fact in the little minds of conspiracy theorists who look to the web for the "alernative truth". LOL, pathetic.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Ok an non-response....no argument...theory confirmed.

LOL, some of us have a real life. I left the computer to walk to the shops, buy some food, and shoulder ride my son home.

Talk about pathetic.

LOL, well guess what fella...by your very own definition of "having a life" I must have 4x the life you have based on a ratio of posts per day. The fact that you didn't recognize that little tidbit is in indeed pathetic.

No, you were using my absence from posting as some sort of agreement or acceptance of defeat to your inane postulation, when I simply wasn't there.

Where did I compare my life to yours, imply that mine was better ?

(except we all know that being in Oz it must be better by default)

Where did I say the USA conspired against the UK ?

BTW, what IS a digital sniper ?

point your finger and say "bang", like schoolkids do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back