Wanting Moly in My German Castrol Syntec 0w-30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I'm finishing an interval of Redline oil, Im wanting to try a new oil for testing which may not be quite as expensive as Redline. The German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 is right up my alley, however I'm one of these guys who are a sucker for moly. If I want to get moly into my oil, would it be worthwhile mixing 3 quarts of Castrol 0w-30 with one quart of Redline 5w-30 on a 4 quart capacity ?. That should get me about 125 ppm of moly in that ratio since Redline has about 560 ppm or moly based on my last test. Any opinions on this ?, or am I unnecessarily worried about moly in this oil.

Joey

When someone posted a VOA of Mobil System-S, it was first thought that this oil was almost totally made of ExxonMobil's "next generation" esters. This was subsequently shown to be a false assumption. However, when everyone thought this was an ester based oil, the criticism that it didn't have moly was answered with "It doesn't need it." I think the same can be said of the German Syntec. It's pretty much been settled that this oil IS based on advanced esters, so maybe it simply doesn't need moly. Obviously, the chemist and engineers who designed it don't think it does.

Try Lubro Moly MoS2 antifriction engine treatment. I don't know if it works or not. I wouldn't use it if car is still under the warranty. I honestly believe that good synthetic oils don't need any additives, because, as it has been repeated for million of times, additives basically throw off line carefully balanced additive pakage in oils. If you really so crazy about Moly just stick with Redline or try Mobil. It seems like Mobil has some moderate amount of Moly in it.

I removed the link as it goes against our board rules. Please take a moment and read these so we do not continue to have this problem. Thanks.b.

[ June 27, 2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

How do we know it doesn't have moly in it? I thought other lines of Syntec did...eg. 5-50...does the 0-30 not have it already?

I think there is a high probablity that Polymer Esters (a special class of synthetic esters) are being used in this new German Syntec. The polymer ester is a special alfa-olefin-acrylic acid ester copolymer.

What leads me to that conclusion?

A paper in Lubrication Engineering describes a combination of low levels of ZDDP with polymer esters with resulting less wear than with high levels of ZDDP alone, using Falex Pin and Vee tests.

In addition, one of the author's was a German, the other British. Castrol is owned by BP, and marketed as a German Syntec!

So the combination of a boron free, overbased calcium concentrate, coupled with low levels of ZDDP and polymer esters, may give AW/EP performance commensurate with an oil that has borons, ZDDPS, and moly's.

I found it interesting that the Valve Train Wear Tests were done on a Nissan K24E engine.

[ June 27, 2003, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Molakule, you know the players, their vehicles, and the driving habits of many of the members here pretty well. What are your predictions for the quality of performance of this oil, the variables involved notwithstanding?

quote:

Obviously, the chemist and engineers who designed it don't think it does.

The state of the art in AW/EP esters and AW/EP suspended solids (calciums in this case) is such that a formulator may elect not to use the older type of AW/EP adds.

However, if the wear numbers from UOA's for this oil begin to look poor, you may see old moly appear, as we did with M1 SS.

BTW, while the zinc sulfur-phosphate types (types similar to ZDDP) are usually incorporated in the new formulations, these ZDDP's are actully the new zinc dithiocarbamates or ZnTDC, which are more stable and long-lived than the older types. So even the zinc sulfur-phosphates are of the newer type as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back