want to take sample w/o changing oil....where to get pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to take a sample of my oil without having to change it, how do I go about this? I assume you have to buy some sort of pump that has a hose that will fit down the dipstick tube, correct? If so, where do I find such an animal? Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Paul

Tooslick recommended, and I have taken his advice, and just bought a Fumoto drain valve. Check them out. I should have had one of these things a long time ago. I could have saved time, oil and messy clean ups. Thanks Ted!

I would be worried about it somehow moving to the 'drain' position and draining all my oil out while I'm driving
shocked.gif

BTW, how is one supposed to get a 'good' sample from draining just the first little bit out of the petcock when you are taking a sample w/o changing the oil?

Paul

Tim Mills(see ad at top of page)can get you a little pump sold by Schaeffer. I think Bob uses aquarium tubing from Walmart with his, & puts new tubing on for each new sample. Sorry, I don't know the cost.

Drain the crankcase into a clean bucket, catching the sample midway. Then just pour the whole bucketload back in with a funnel.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Drain the crankcase into a clean bucket, catching the sample midway. Then just pour the whole bucketload back in with a funnel.

I've got a Fram Sure Drain on both of my cars, and I plan on taking a mid interval sample on my wife's car next week, but since I don't want to have to use any top up oil, I'm going to first drain one quart into an empty oil Royal Purple bottle, then take the sample, then pour the oil back in. This way I only lose 100ml of oil, so I don't need to top up. Then I'll continue on to 5000 miles before I do the final sample (and oil change)

By the way, I've decided to continue running Royal Purple for a while.

You can get small pumps that cost between $4 and $20 at any automotive supply store. Some come with a clear hose that fits in a dipstick tube. A $12 pump is good for transferring tranny fluid, too.

Instructions for taking sample say to let the oil drain for some time before taking a sample. If you take it right away all you will get is what has settled to the bottom.

Amsoil sells a hand pump. You slide a plastic tube down the dipstick and pump it out in a container that screws onto the pump. Its part number G-1206 MSRP $24.50

I have one.
 -

quote:

I would be worried about it somehow moving to the 'drain' position and draining all my oil out while I'm driving

It's actually very safe. It is approved by all the Japanese auto makers and now it comes as a OEM part for certain Jap and US (Ford) cars. It was tested by them to ensure the quality and durability was good. I agree though, that a sample shouldn't be taken right away but it still seems like the best method to change you oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back