Want to Loose Weight but.... I am HUNGRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dieting is not the solution, you need to make lifestyle changes.

Adjust your diet to a healthy one, and be more active.

Their is no magic, people just want to hear that its easy.

All a diet does is cause you to lose weight, but it doesn't chance the lifestyle that caused you to gain weight in the first place.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Dieting is not the solution, you need to make lifestyle changes.

Adjust your diet to a healthy one, and be more active.

Their is no magic, people just want to hear that its easy.

All a diet does is cause you to lose weight, but it doesn't chance the lifestyle that caused you to gain weight in the first place.

Lifestyles do need adjustment sometimes. But as I've witnessed, becoming active and eating a more balanced diet also isn't a "magic" solution for many people.
Metabolism and physical limitations can play a big part. So does the willpower often required to stick to a healthy diet. Not everybody finds it within themselves to be able to live a particular lifestyle (kind of an ambiguous term anyway) that allows them to lose weight and maintain it at healthy levels. Sometimes, accepting who we are as individuals is healthier in the long run.
One of my points about a ketogenic diet that I didn't make very well is that it is one of easiest diets to get on, lose weight, and maintain...than the majority of other diet changes. It doesn't involve a complete metamorphosis from couch potato to athletic health-nut. That's why a lot of people fail, in my opinion. They have lived a "lifestyle" for decades...maybe since birth...and changing that isn't easy in the slightest. Even mildly changing it can be too much for some people. The keto thing is actually very simple and only really involves not eating many carbs/sugars. That's really about it. Those with poor willpower (my guess is that this describes the OP) often find this diet easier to undertake.

Everyone is different, but I have found sugar and anything my body treats like sugar to be poison. I avoid anything that has enriched flour in it - bread, crackers, pretzels, cookies. Might as well just eat a candy bar.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Everyone is different, but I have found sugar and anything my body treats like sugar to be poison. I avoid anything that has enriched flour in it - bread, crackers, pretzels, cookies. Might as well just eat a candy bar.

My best friend's wife has Sjogren's (SHOW-grins) syndrome. Her docs have told her that sugar is a poison for her. She ignores the advice and results are predictable. Simple sugars is a mild poison for most people.

Last edited:
I'd love to have the OP's problem. I just got a call from my doctor's office two days ago with results from my latest lab work. I was informed that I am pre-diabetic. My life as I knew it is now over. Gone are all of the breads, pizza, pasta, and deserts, and anything carbs I love so much. My doctor recommends a Mediterranean style diet, which is mostly fruits and vegetables. It isn't that I don't like fruits and veggies, but that can't be my main source of food. I've gotta have something substantial, like meats. This gonna be a huge lifestyle change for me. I've been so used to eating whatever I want. This days are over...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'd love to have the OP's problem. I just got a call from my doctor's office two days ago with results from my latest lab work. I was informed that I am pre-diabetic. My life as I knew it is now over. Gone are all of the breads, pizza, pasta, and deserts, and anything carbs I love so much. My doctor recommends a Mediterranean style diet, which is mostly fruits and vegetables. It isn't that I don't like fruits and veggies, but that can't be my main source of food. I've gotta have something substantial, like meats. This gonna be a huge lifestyle change for me. I've been so used to eating whatever I want. This days are over...

Heck no! Breakfast with scrambled eggs and cheese, sausage and bacon. Lunch with a chicken breast, dinner of steak and broccoli. Sound tasty to me!

I think you should think as this as an opportunity to change your life for the better...more protein fewer carbs, no sugar, limited limited deserts. In addition more exercise. When I turned 60 I started on this stuff. My sugar was always 100++, Its now usually in the 80's. By every indication I am in as good or better shape than when I was 60 (10 years ago). Its honestly not that hard!!

Good luck
cheers3.gif

Heck no! Breakfast with scrambled eggs and cheese, sausage and bacon. Lunch with a chicken breast, dinner of steak and broccoli. Sound tasty to me!

Cheese is full of carbs, the rest I can do though!

Originally Posted By: Al

I think you should think as this as an opportunity to change your life for the better...more protein fewer carbs, no sugar, limited limited deserts. In addition more exercise. When I turned 60 I started on this stuff. My sugar was always 100++, Its now usually in the 80's. By every indication I am in as good or better shape than when I was 60 (10 years ago). Its honestly not that hard!!

Good luck
cheers3.gif

You know it's for the better, I know it's for the better, but tell my cravings that! I've already got the exorcising part down, I've been using an elliptical trainer 4 times a week for the last 12 years, it's just that my poor eating habits are finally starting to catch up with me...I'm sure this will make me healthier, but the change in diet is going to be kind of like quitting smoking cold turkey....only more difficult!

What cheese are you eating?
smile.gif

A serving or two of most cheeses (Blue, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Cheddar, Gruyere) are low in carbs. You can eat lots of cheese on a keto diet...no issue at all. Now sometimes different sausages can use ingredients like sugar or maple syrups...that's a big no-no.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

A serving or two of most cheeses (Blue, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Cheddar, Gruyere) are low in carbs. You can eat lots of cheese on a keto diet...no issue at all. Now sometimes different sausages can use ingredients like sugar or maple syrups...that's a big no-no.

I'm finding out the most important thing about this is to READ THE LABELS!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Now sometimes different sausages can use ingredients like sugar or maple syrups...that's a big no-no.

Man I LOVE maple bacon and sausage,YUM!! I bet that's a triple whammy of bad,but oh so good!
laugh.gif

I've already got the exorcising part down ...

Man, it must be tough getting those carb craving demons out of the system.
laugh.gif

Some carbs are just fine. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

Protein,carbs(sweet potatoes,etc) and lots of green veggies.

You need all three,and diets are an over-used term these days.

Diets are a temp fix,nothing more,nothing less.

Instead think about a healthy eating plan that you could live with and enjoy for life.Eating healthy coupled with regular exercise. To lose weight, eat less and exercise more.

No easy fixes,it's all a choice and it's up to you.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Some carbs are just fine. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

Protein,carbs(sweet potatoes,etc) and lots of green veggies.

You need all three,and diets are an over-used term these days.

Diets are a temp fix,nothing more,nothing less.

Instead think about a healthy eating plan that you could live with and enjoy for life.Eating healthy coupled with regular exercise. To lose weight, eat less and exercise more.

No easy fixes,it's all a choice and it's up to you.

The word "diet" isn't only a verb, it's also a noun...when I use it, I'm using it as a noun...you're right though, diets as a verb don't work...when a person has high blood sugar, their diet has to change permanently...it's more of a life style change...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xfactor9
I know someone who swears by Aktins diet because he lost a ton of weight on it. But I'm not sold on its long-term safety. Dieting is more than just weight loss; it's also a healthy, nutritionally-complete diet. He doesn't eat fruits because of the sugar content, and he doesn't eat many veggies. His diet is lacking in fiber and certain nutrients like Vitamin C, so he has to supplement with daily vitamins and fiber. A diet can't be considered healthy if you have to take daily pills to prevent scurvy

If your friend doesn't eat many veggies, he is not eating the way Dr. Atkins recommended in his book.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
Originally Posted By: xfactor9
I know someone who swears by Aktins diet because he lost a ton of weight on it. But I'm not sold on its long-term safety. Dieting is more than just weight loss; it's also a healthy, nutritionally-complete diet. He doesn't eat fruits because of the sugar content, and he doesn't eat many veggies. His diet is lacking in fiber and certain nutrients like Vitamin C, so he has to supplement with daily vitamins and fiber. A diet can't be considered healthy if you have to take daily pills to prevent scurvy

If your friend doesn't eat many veggies, he is not eating the way Dr. Atkins recommended in his book.

This is true of Atkins and any keto style diet. You DO eat vegetables as you've said. Just not mass amounts of high carb ones. Even during the induction phase, a few vegetables are allowed. My girlfriend has been on a keto diet for months and eats bell peppers, broccoli, green beans, spinach, avocado, nuts, etc. Just not a high volume of such foods with the focus being on high protein, higher fat foods like steaks, salmon, chicken (skin on), etc.

Last edited:
Is there anywhere that states the carb content of meats? I've tried looking it up, but all that's given is calories...nothing about carbs...maybe it's because meats of any type don't have any carbs at all to speak of? I don't know. Also, where can I find the carb content of fruits a veggies? I'm finding out that some fruits have a very high content of carbs...I know fruits and veggies are supposed to be good for me, but not if they're going to be spiking my blood sugar...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back