Want to Loose Weight but.... I am HUNGRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Is there anywhere that states the carb content of meats? I've tried looking it up, but all that's given is calories...nothing about carbs...maybe it's because meats of any type don't have any carbs at all to speak of? I don't know. Also, where can I find the carb content of fruits a veggies? I'm finding out that some fruits have a very high content of carbs...I know fruits and veggies are supposed to be good for me, but not if they're going to be spiking my blood sugar...

Meats generally have zero carbohydrates, with the exception being processed meats (sausages, bacon, jerky, etc) that have added sugar or other carbs.

As for fruits and veggies, the glycemic index is more important than the amount of carbs in a given food. The glycemic index number indicates how quickly a food will increase your blood sugar. There are some online references if you do a simple Google search.

My doctor recommends that I go with a Mediterranean style diet. I didn't know what that was, so I looked it up. Most of the foods on this diet are plants, and it really limits red meats. I can't do this. I've got to have SOMETHING substantial to eat. Plants just don't fill me up, and I can't stand walking around hungry all the time! If I've gotta give up carbs, then I gotta be able to eat meat! She might as well tell me to give up breathing!

My doctor recommends that I go with a Mediterranean style diet. I didn't know what that was, so I looked it up. Most of the foods on this diet are plants, and it really limits red meats. I can't do this. I've got to have SOMETHING substantial to eat. Plants just don't fill me up, and I can't stand walking around hungry all the time! If I've gotta give up carbs, then I gotta be able to eat meat! She might as well tell me to give up breathing!

The Mediterranean diet is indeed a healthy one. I really don't think a person will lose much excessive body weight with it though.
My girlfriend was pre-diabetic before she got on a ketogenic diet. She tried just about everything out there to lose weight and fix her diabetic leanings. I assisted her as much as I could. Nothing worked that made any significant difference in her health or body weight. She exercised a lot....miles on a treadmill and the same on our local walking trails. No results were ever noticed more than a few pounds.
After doing more research for her (she was giving up...feeling a failure...doomed to become a diabetic), I discovered that a Keto diet was worth a try. I knew she loved red meats, cheese, eggs, butter, etc. The data I came across, regarding it's health benefits, I found to be dubious at first. I just didn't buy it. I could not believe a person could eat fat and lose weight...and reduce the symptoms of becoming a diabetic.
Boy was I wrong!!
She's lost 30 pounds....is never hungry...has improved and seemingly reversed her pre-diabetic state, gotten more energy, improved her self esteem, gotten rid of her stomach issues, and just generally feels more alive than she has in decades.
Being that all things have a negative side, I think the only real one is that she will very infrequently miss tortillas and other higher carb foods. Not very often though and certainly no cravings for them. But being from Mexico...beans, tortillas, rice, etc. was something she always ate. It took her a while to realize she didn't need those foods to feel satisfied.
As for carbohydrate info on meats? Look up Ketogenic diets (or even Atkins) and search within those sites the carb content of various meats. You'll find that meat in general has extremely low carbs....and it's only the processed meats that can contain too many carbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg

The Mediterranean diet is indeed a healthy one. I really don't think a person will lose much excessive body weight with it though.
My girlfriend was pre-diabetic before she got on a ketogenic diet. She tried just about everything out there to lose weight and fix her diabetic leanings. I assisted her as much as I could. Nothing worked that made any significant difference in her health or body weight. She exercised a lot....miles on a treadmill and the same on our local walking trails. No results were ever noticed more than a few pounds.
After doing more research for her (she was giving up...feeling a failure...doomed to become a diabetic), I discovered that a Keto diet was worth a try. I knew she loved red meats, cheese, eggs, butter, etc. The data I came across, regarding it's health benefits, I found to be dubious at first. I just didn't buy it. I could not believe a person could eat fat and lose weight...and reduce the symptoms of becoming a diabetic.
Boy was I wrong!!
She's lost 30 pounds....is never hungry...has improved and seemingly reversed her pre-diabetic state, gotten more energy, improved her self esteem, gotten rid of her stomach issues, and just generally feels more alive than she has in decades.
Being that all things have a negative side, I think the only real one is that she will very infrequently miss tortillas and other higher carb foods. Not very often though and certainly no cravings for them. But being from Mexico...beans, tortillas, rice, etc. was something she always ate. It took her a while to realize she didn't need those foods to feel satisfied.
As for carbohydrate info on meats? Look up Ketogenic diets (or even Atkins) and search within those sites the carb content of various meats. You'll find that meat in general has extremely low carbs....and it's only the processed meats that can contain too many carbs.

I'll have o ask my doctor about the Keto diet, that sounds more my speed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back