Want to buy some 10 gauge lower pressure shells-

Low base does not mean low pressure. The length of the base is more of a "My base is bigger than your base" thing. Back in the day, you'd see loaded shotgun cartridges with mostly high bases when commodities were cheap and there wasn't nearly as much competition as there is today. Today, you don't see many high bases and if you do, you're paying premo $ for them.

If you think the older shotgun can't handle the standard maximum SAAMI pressure, then you shouldn't be shooting any loads through it.

Then maybe I should have called them 'trap loads', but I never saw anybody shooting a 10 g in trap or skeet.

Chances are if they're loaded with smokeless powder, and not black powder, they are loaded to modern SAAMI pressure levels. Not, "low pressure". People wrongly confuse brass and shell length with, "power".

These 2, 10 gauge shells are loaded with modern smokeless powder. The shorter 2-7/8" shell has slightly more pressure because it is loaded with a faster burning powder. This is because it has a lighter shot payload.

Neither one can be safely fired in a old Damascus barreled 10 gauge shotgun, that was designed for black powder only. The length of the shell, or the brass has nothing to do with its "power", in relationship to the chamber pressure it generates.

It's much the same with "Trap Loads". They are loaded to a variety of different velocities, shot size and payloads, as well as pressures. All have, "low brass".

pIShZbx.jpg

Circumstances like this are why people invest in reloading tools. You could make your own low-pressure loads.
I was going to bring that up, but the cost of entry into reloading is probably prohibitive in this case.

The other issue is, fine you load low pressure loads, but what is the end goal? Is the owner going to work up to higher pressure loads and test to failure? The whole exercise seems a bit silly. Take the shotgun to a gunsmith and have it inspected, either it will or won't support standard SAAMI pressure loads.

I did quite a bit of metallic reloading 40-50 years ago, but not shotgun. I was hoping to find someone that had some 2 7/8"shells-or a loader that would build me some. Thus far, no luck. This is a Winchester 1901 made in 1906. I did some trap shooting with my Rem 1100 semi auto years ago. With that, trap loads wouldn't allow but single shot while hunting loads would operate the action.

I'm thinking that 120 years ago, 10 gauge shot shells were 2 3/4" paper hulls.
That would be 2 3/4" after firing, not the unfired length.
Would a modern plastic shell eject after firing?
Your other option instead of a 10 gauge is a M777 air burst or flechette round.

Last edited:
....... I did some trap shooting with my Rem 1100 semi auto years ago. With that, trap loads wouldn't allow but single shot while hunting loads would operate the action.
Your 1100 should eject trap loads just fine. Check the O-Ring that fits over the magazine tube. (If you remove the forend you should be able to see it). It's common for them to dry out and crack, or split.

Also check to make sure both of the gas rings are installed correctly, and not reversed. That can cause ejecting and feeding issues as well. I always keep a few extra O-Rings with the gun.

Back