Want To Buy A CMP 1911? Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
CMP will have absolutely no problem selling these.

As most of us who post here regularly, I already have a nice 1911 (Dan Wesson RZ-45 "Heritage"). Bought for around $1100, and it has zero MIM parts, everything on it is high-quality. Few thousand rounds through it and it's never even hiccuped.

I don't feel the need for another 1911; mine is a range/target-shooting/prestige pistol for me, and it serves that purpose quite well.

But I'm sure people will line up to buy these, despite the hoops they'll have to jump through.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: billt460
And don't forget about the, "Random Number Generators". What are they going to do, run this like a bingo parlor at the retirement home? Who comes up with this silly nonsense?

By the time you are down with all their hoops and nonsense, you could build a time machine and get one brand new.
wink.gif

laugh.gif
Exactly. In PA I could have shopped for, bought, gone through the background check and been out the door in the time it took me to read the list of requirements.

Originally Posted By: jstert
i find it more than a tad insulting that cmp won’t allow an atf c&r license for a purchase.

Me too! That's just stupid.

Originally Posted By: Toros
laugh.gif
Exactly. In PA I could have shopped for, bought, gone through the background check and been out the door in the time it took me to read the list of requirements.

It would be easier to buy a handgun here, and that's no walk in the park.
wink.gif

Another thing is, are any or all of these things going to even be certified as shootable? I haven't read anywhere that they are. I can't imagine anyone paying into 4 digits, for what amounts to a non firing relic. Or one they have to pay a gunsmith to go through before taking it to the range. And like millions of other mostly old, obsolete stored military weaponry, a lot of these things have got to be pretty well shot out junkers. It's the nature of the beast.

And even with what they are going to be allegedly charging for these things, how much can the CMP possibly afford to put into them? Assuming they even have the parts to return them to safe shooting condition. Remember, you can purchase a beautiful 1911 pistol, brand new in the box for a lot less than what the CMP is going to charge to send you a beat up, scratched up, shot out relic. I'm looking for all of the mass "appeal" these things are supposed to have, that would make people want to line up, and wait to buy them. And I can't find any. And you'll have to look long and hard to find someone who likes things that go bang more than I do.

Unless you get really lucky, you are not going to get a good pistol. Those 1911's were completely used up by the time the M9 came out. They have been taken apart and put back together so many times with different parts, they are not even close to original. I had to qualify on those toward the end of their run and it sucked. They shot all over the place.

Question for those of you who watch the gun market - do you think these 1911s will sell to the history buffs? Quality of firearm aside, is there value in them? I have a friend that wants to buy 10-15 of them thinking he can flip them for a good profit.

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick
Question for those of you who watch the gun market - do you think these 1911s will sell to the history buffs? Quality of firearm aside, is there value in them? I have a friend that wants to buy 10-15 of them thinking he can flip them for a good profit.

A few might sell for their supposed "history". In spite of the fact most every part has been replaced several times over. There are others who will buy most anything the CMP sells, because they think they're just so wonderful, and can get something they can't get anywhere else..... Beat up or not. But I would tell your friend to hang on to his money. If he's looking to invest in guns for profit, there are a lot of better ways to go. Old, historic guns are much like old historic coins. They are a lot more valuable if they're in pristine condition. THESE ARE NOT.

Originally Posted By: FloatingBrick

That right there is PRECISELY why CMP puts the sort of requirements they do in place.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they pull the best ones and put them on CMP auction like they did with some nicer/rarer M1’s either.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Wouldn’t surprise me if they pull the best ones and put them on CMP auction like they did with some nicer/rarer M1’s either.

It wouldn't surprise me either. Because that's exactly what they are going to do. Which is why I wouldn't waste the time and money to buy a gun from them. You not only have to jump through all of their silly hoops. Then wait for God knows how long. But in the end they are not only going to pull every gun that's worth anything. In the process they'll ship you a worn out, junk rattletrap. That you as the purchaser have zero control over, and cannot get a refund if you are unsatisfied. I personally can't think of worse conditions to purchase a weapon under. Especially for what they are going to end up charging you for it. And anyone who thinks they are going to flip these things for a "profit", is dreaming. Worn out G.I. 1911 pistols ARE NOT M-1 Garand's. They are as common as dirt. And still being produced by everyone and their brother by the boxcar load.

Not a customer for one, but something in the regulations stuck out at me-

The regulations specify that you must have it shipped to an -01 FFL. Most of the stores I deal with are under an -02 FFL(Pawnbroker). Even if they do a good business in new guns, having an -02 is relevant on the state level since it makes buying used guns easier for them.

In fact, I'm not sure if I know of any non-big-box store around here that is an -01. I just checked the copies I have for the half dozen different ones I use for transfers and all that I can check readily are -02s.

Given how sticky they are being about everything else, I'm guessing that IF I wanted one I'd have to find on -01 to ship it to.

BTW, I also agree on it being an additional burden that they won't ship directly to -03s. That cuts out a lot of headaches for me on this sort of gun. Anyone who buys this sort of gun regularly probably has an -03-for the small amount it costs it saves a lot of headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back