Want F-Secure AV 2006 for free???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free F-Secure 2006

License expires in July of 2007.

German magazines are ALWAYS giving away free licenses; a couple months ago they did Nod32. Apparently they're going to do another Nod32 giveaway in the near future.

If you keep checking Wilder's security forums, there is always free antivirus/antispyware/firewall licenses posted.
smile.gif

Save that money for OIL!!!

Here's another good one for free: Active Virus Shield

It's basically Kaspersky 6 for free! This one's likely better than F-Secure. F-Secure makes you uninstall products like Adware and Bitdefender free so that's a no go for me. But, F-Secure has the Lavasoft engine built in for spyware protection.

It's definetally thorough! Kaspersky is right with Nod32. Kaspersky's heuristics currently kind of suck but they are going to update them in September, and with the way the KAV engine works, Active Virus Shield users will get it.

Pablo, did you install the toolbar??? Apparently, it may be spyware, so don't install that with the AVS. Actually, some of the guys at Wilders are thinking the Active Virus Shield may "phone home"
frown.gif
They are all testing the heck out of it to make sure it's just the stupid toolbar.

I'm trying it as well, and if it turns out to not be spyware, then it's by far the best free antivirus out there I think.

Check out the Wilders thread.

No I didn't install the toolbar. First I hate those kind of things (AOL!) and I figured it wouldn't work in Firefox.

I don't have time to follow the Wilders thread - can you keep me posted??? (Please
bowdown.gif
)

Hey Pablo, I've been keeping up with the Wilder's threads.

Check out the 4th page.

Also read the Cnet review

At the very minimum, you'll get spam (although you can decline further spam upon the 1st one you receive, and the dudes at Wilders haven't received any yet). They give email to advertisers. It also collects stuff about your PC and phones home, including info. about ads and surfing habits. You won't get outright pop ups and there's no spot in the interface for ads like Kazaa.

It's fine and definetally not malicious, but they bury the stuff about collecting info. deep inside the End User License Agreement.

I trust you found the automatic scan?

It's better than Avira Antivir in pure detection (but lacks in heuristics but Kaspersky is releasing a maintanance package in September which will really beef up heuristic capabilities). I'd say it's likely the best free antivirus you can get. Has all the detection of Kaspersky, including adware/spyware and the super nasties like keyloggers and trojans. I don't know about rootkits though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back