Want a low VII content 0w-20? Rejoice!

Been using this in my CRV'S for some time, with the oil dilution, it's usually below grade in 2500 miles or so. Not so good. Switching to Mobil1 0W-30 AFE to see if it will run a bit longer. Some of these 1.5t engines are real diluters.
Honda does have an updated calibration for the 1.5T to reduce fuel dilution. But it’s not a Honda issue exclusively - GDI has enabled small turbo engines to run on regular - spraying fuel directly provides a small “intercooling” effect but it’s not “lean”. But more fuel has to be sprayed.

That’s a reason why GM was pushing for premium to be the new standard.

Honda does have an updated calibration for the 1.5T to reduce fuel dilution. But it’s not a Honda issue exclusively - GDI has enabled small turbo engines to run on regular - spraying fuel directly provides a small “intercooling” effect but it’s not “lean”. But more fuel has to be sprayed.

That’s a reason why GM was pushing for premium to be the new standard.
My CRV was checked for all current updates about 3 weeks ago and was pronounced up-to-date, anything new more recently? Very much aware of the gyrations Honda went thru with the attempts to get faster warm up on the 16-18, but the problem was supposedly "fixed" on the 19's & later models. I have heard rumors of an improved injector, but dealer has no current TSB on that.

Last edited:
I suspect the AN's bump up the pour point a bit on the M1 product (why it's -54C) being used as a visc adjuster. I suspect this oil, if not VII-free, is so close that it functionally is.
Im picking up a few gallons for my Gti, was going to run ravenol ECS but this M1 looks good now. Its not 508/509 spec but im curious how it looks after 7500 miles in the EA888 Gen4

Or, alternative title: Is M1 EP 0w-20 a monograde?

Running entirely contrary to the previous "uber high VI" fascination with TGMO, we have this beauty:

View attachment 89055

Which we know is majority PAO-based:
View attachment 89056

Of course Mobil doesn't list the VI for this oil, so I calculated it using the Widman calc:
View attachment 89057

Yes, that's a VI of 131.

That points to this oil having basically no VII content and probably one of, if not the closest to a monograde 0w-xx available.

If we look at the 'ol Mobil Blending Guide:
View attachment 89060

That 0w-20 has only 2.6% VII and a VI of 161.

With basically no VII to shear this is likely the most stable 0w-20 on the market.
How does the HM version of M1 EP 0W20 compare?

Low-VII 5W-20 should be easier to achieve than 0W-20. That doesn't mean they'll make it, when there's a lower-cost solution.

Where's all the wear from fuel-diluted, viscosity-lowered 0W20 ?

I am much more worried about turbo failure, reportedly a problem with Honda 1.5T @ ~ 150k miles.

High PAO content and no VII's would be the preference for turbo cleanliness.

JMO.

Low-VII 5W-20 should be easier to achieve than 0W-20. That doesn't mean they'll make it, when there's a lower-cost solution.
You can get close to a 5w-30 with mostly straight PAO, but not quite there, whereas you can use what is essentially straight PAO to make a 0w-20 (as evidenced by this thread). The reason is that in order to get the xW-30 part of the 5w-30, you have to use a heavy enough base oil blend that you'll likely fail CCS for the 5W-xx Winter designation. So, you would need to use a slightly lighter blend and a splash of VII.

I’m 1,400 miles in on my latest interval using Mobil1 EP 0W20. I plan on running it 10,000 miles (first time doing that). The thing I’m curious about is oil consumption...I’ve never had oil consumption on this particular engine, so I’ll be curious to see if this oil gives me a little of that. I’ve read that the first time you use this oil it may happen, we shall see.

You can get close to a 5w-30 with mostly straight PAO, but not quite there, whereas you can use what is essentially straight PAO to make a 0w-20 (as evidenced by this thread). The reason is that in order to get the xW-30 part of the 5w-30, you have to use a heavy enough base oil blend that you'll likely fail CCS for the 5W-xx Winter designation. So, you would need to use a slightly lighter blend and a splash of VII.
That's logical in itself, but says nothing about 5W-20, the subject of my post to which you replied.

That's logical in itself, but says nothing about 5W-20, the subject of my post to which you replied.
For some reason I thought you had put 5w-30, lol.

Yes, you can obviously get a 5w-20 with straight PAO too, though it doesn't appear that this approach is being taken, given the VI's of the finished lubes available.

The Mad Scientist in me wants to blend Mobil 1300 15W-40 (EHC Base) with M1 EP 0W-20 (PAO Base) to come up with a cheaper alternative to a Schaeffer's 7000 GII+/PAO Blend 30 Grade.

Last edited:
The Mad Scientist in me wants to blend Mobil 1300 15W-40 (EHC Base) with M1 EP 0W-20 (PAO Base) to come up with a cheaper alternative to a Schaeffer's 7000 GII+/PAO Blend 30 Grade.
They'd be similar in that neither one would have any licenses, certifications nor approvals.

This caught my eye on the Schaeffer's website:

"engineered with the finest quality, severely hydrotreated polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic based fluids"

They'd be similar in that neither one would have any licenses, certifications nor approvals.

This caught my eye on the Schaeffer's website:

" engineered with the finest quality, severely hydrotreated polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic based fluids"

Pretty sure Schaeffer's is API Licensed. They used to be anyway. Just looked, the old Schaeffer's 9000 5W-30 Bottle has an API Starburst on it and is SN+ GF-5. Don't know if they have tested to SP GF-6A but their website may be out of date.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Schaeffer's is API Licensed. They used to be anyway. Just looked, the old Schaeffer's 9000 5W-30 Bottle has an API Starburst on it and is SN+ GF-5. Don't know if they have tested to SP GF-6A but their website may be out of date.
Yes it is sp rated and gf6. The bottles i have show it

Back