Want a low VII content 0w-20? Rejoice!

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Or, alternative title: Is M1 EP 0w-20 a monograde?

Running entirely contrary to the previous "uber high VI" fascination with TGMO, we have this beauty:

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 5.48.07 PM.jpg

Which we know is majority PAO-based:
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.59.09 AM.jpg

Of course Mobil doesn't list the VI for this oil, so I calculated it using the Widman calc:
Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 5.50.46 PM.jpg

Yes, that's a VI of 131.

That points to this oil having basically no VII content and probably one of, if not the closest to a monograde 0w-xx available.

If we look at the 'ol Mobil Blending Guide:
Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 6.07.34 PM.jpg

That 0w-20 has only 2.6% VII and a VI of 161.

With basically no VII to shear this is likely the most stable 0w-20 on the market.

Running entirely contrary to the previous "uber high VI" fascination with TGMO, we have this beauty:

View attachment 89055

View attachment 89056

Of course Mobil doesn't list the VI for this oil, so I calculated it using the Widman calc:
View attachment 89057

Yes, that's a VI of 131.

That points to this oil having basically no VII content and probably one of, if not the closest to a monograde 0w-xx available.

View attachment 89060

With basically no VII to shear this is likely the most stable 0w-20 on the market.
thanks for putting that out here

Good stuff! In essence, that 0W-20 can be used the full extent of a normal interval (not severe) in vehicles calling for this viscosity.

The old KV@40c was 44.90. I think the VII from Gokhan's table was 4.46%. If they all have less VII's now, that's good news IMO. Idemitsu reduced the VII content on their 5w30 SP oil.

Here are the new viscosities:
Screenshot 2022-02-15 194303.gif

Last edited:
At 5k OCIs would this oil have any benefit to say a Valvoline 0w-20 EP with a savings of roughly 25%? I imagine this recommendation is geared toward longer OCIs?

thin oils have their limitations!!! great in very cold BUT not so much as they continue to get even thinner in very hot climates + heavy use, not to mention fuel contamination!! savage geese in his fine print vids notes that as oil temps rise + can be causing issues, typical oil analysis shows NOTHING!!!

I'm all down with much lower viscosity indexes. I don't find Botox good looking on anyone and neither does oil botox look pretty when it reduces the stability, hths, and flash point.

The oil heats up rather quickly, In 10 minuites of driving your engine would rather have an oil that has a higher hths and is more stable all round. The oil fully heats in at least a half hour or more depending on the engines efficiency and engineering. A Cst difference of 7 at 104f isn't a big deal.

I would happily use a pure sae 20 with a VI of 90-100 like a true monograde and with an hths of 2.9 to possibly 3.0 if its a heavier on the scale 20 grade and not ever worry or use a 30 grade in my new engine.

I'm all down with much lower viscosity indexes. I don't find Botox good looking on anyone and neither does oil botox look pretty when it reduces the stability, hths, and flash point.

The oil heats up rather quickly, In 10 minuites of driving your engine would rather have an oil that has a higher hths and is more stable all round. The oil fully heats in at least a half hour or more depending on the engines efficiency and engineering. A Cst difference of 7 at 104f isn't a big deal.

I would happily use a pure sae 20 with a VI of 90-100 like a true monograde and with an hths of 2.9 to possibly 3.0 if its a heavier on the scale 20 grade and not ever worry or use a 30 grade in my new engine.
The PAO base oils have VI's around the one of this finished product, so it's extremely close to, if not a monograde.

Who will switch to this one? I am going to get some soon. I was cruising the Walmart oil aisle again today. Another older guy pathetic hobby .... can't go in there without ending up in the auto section. Looking to see if anyone offered 0w30 I been trying to talk myself into using something else in place of 0w20 in my tiny 1.5 Di turbo. They were well stocked with M1 and all kinds of Castrol + Valvoline. Not so much PYB in this area.
After that report I am going to this M1 0w20 next oil change. I will just run my stock of Amsoil and the Shaeffer's I have in stock in my indestructable 2009 Accord. We really got lucky with that car as I know some folks had lots of issues with them.

View attachment 89055

View attachment 89056

View attachment 89057

Yes, that's a VI of 131.

View attachment 89060

Sorry if I missed it. When can yo get this> Is this on store shelves already?

Who will switch to this one? I am going to get some soon. I was cruising the Walmart oil aisle again today. Another older guy pathetic hobby .... can't go in there without ending up in the auto section. Looking to see if anyone offered 0w30 I been trying to talk myself into using something else in place of 0w20 in my tiny 1.5 Di turbo. They were well stocked with M1 and all kinds of Castrol + Valvoline. Not so much PYB in this area.
After that report I am going to this M1 0w20 next oil change. I will just run my stock of Amsoil and the Shaeffer's I have in stock in my indestructable 2009 Accord. We really got lucky with that car as I know some folks had lots of issues with them.

Yep! Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20, it's widely available, I have a fair bit of it on-hand, will buy more the next time it is on sale.

Here:
Walmart.com - Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w-20

ok..... Sorry for confusion. Thanks all. I did not understand if this was a coming & new , "improved, updated formula or not?" I got it now. A good. indepth report on the current oil itself.
I am lucky too as all the Walmarts here are stocked full of near every oil you could want. M1 and Castrol seem to be most popular here with Valvoline close behind. Supertech has the most shelf space. :) The M1 section 2nd with the most selections of grades / weights in our store.

Last edited:
Is M1 EP 0w-20 a monograde?

we know is majority PAO-based:

Yes, that's a VI of 131.

Wow! Good pick up Overkill. Well spotted!

Did you tell your wife?

Back