Want a longer filter than stock for an 06 Hemi Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how to find out what longer than stock filter would fit my 06 Hemi Dodge Ram? I use a Wix #51085 or a Napa Gold #1085 but I can cross most any filter number on the Wix filter site. Is there a procedure to find longer filters for other cars and trucks?

Thanks!

I have a chart that lists the thread size and gasket size for each oil filter, along with dimensions. if your Ram uses the standard mid-sized Mopar filter, then you should be able to use a standard Ford/Chrysler full-sized filter, given there is clearance for the length. I have used the longer filters on my Jeep GC, Ram Van for years. I have not tried the longer filter on my hemi durango yet..... for instance, I think the Fram number for the mid-sized is PH16, whereas the full length is PH8. or cross reference a motorcraft FL1A.

When I was looking for the larger version of the OEM size M1 filter I called them directly and was given the information. You might be able to find the M1 application and give them a call. You can either run the larger M1 or reference the part number back to WIX or other brand. WIX may be able to provide the same info as well.

A Wix 51515 should work providing there is clearance.
It has the same diameter and specs as the OEM recommended filter just a bit longer.
I use the equivalent on my own dodge truck (Non Hemi)
and Caravan with no issues.
51515 interchanges with a Fram PH8A and a Ford FL1A

Yup, on an 06 5.7L you can run the bigger Ford style filter( FL1A )as the poster above mentions. 08+ 5.7L's swapped to metric threads so you can't but on the earlier ones you can. Very slight differences but they mount up and work fine. Quite a few guys report using them on the Dodge sites. Just a note - I have not personally done this but I have researched the spec's and all seems good.
thumbsup2.gif

Did they just do a nipple swap on the 08+ ?? If so, then it should be easy enough to find the older nipple and get the flexibility back.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Did they just do a nipple swap on the 08+ ?? If so, then it should be easy enough to find the older nipple and get the flexibility back.

The Pre-08 filters for the 4.7L and 5.7L were the equivelant of a Fram PH16. On the new 08+ 4.7L and 5.7L engines there are 2 different filters out there. There is a new part # specific to these engines from Wix( # 57899 ). Then you have 99.9% of other filter mfg's recommending an older short Ford filter( MTC #FL820 / Fram PH2 )which works as well( I know as I am running one RP 20-820 ).

Base gasket/seal diameters are a little different between them all but they are so minute it is not an issue. They seal ok. The big difference I see spec wise between them is the bypass valve PSI rating( varies from mfg to mfg ). Much higher on the 08+ filter design. The newer filters seem to have a higher flow rate as well( I have checked many mfg's - only going to list Wix here ).

Here are the fiilter spec's using Wix filters as the examples...

Pre-08 Filter:
Part Number: 51085( PH16 )
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.790
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes