want a floor jack-low profile+longer lift arm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was going to tag on the older jack post, but new seems better. Anyway, long arm would mean higher lift, but not the main goal. I have some low lighter-midweight sports/summer cars that I either can't get to the center front jack point, or if I can, then not have enough room to be able to pump the jack handle as the pivot is still under the car. I hate messing with other jacks/ramping to deal with these cars. The only thing I've in the past were some really old comercial grade 'monsters' with high capacities. I can do fine with a reduced lift rating due to the increased lever arm, but haven't seen such. The 'racing jacks' that I've seen are low, but not long.-thanks

Check out Costco. They have their jack on clearance right now at $80 down from $100 near me. Its a low hybrid alum/steel jack with a long handle.

How low and how long? My low-profile steel HF jack will get under both of our fairly low cars just fine and has a 18" maximum height. They also sell a 21" max height one. It only has a 2-ton weight capacity. Not an issue since both cars are lightweight, and only half the car is getting lifted.

If I were in the market for a new floor jack I'd skip the made in China garbage and invest in a jack made in the USA. Hein-Werner, US Jack, Milwaukee Hydraulics all make extremely good quality floor jacks.

I don't care about the handle length-it's the length of the lifting arm that matters. I've looked at some other sports car forums, and really only seen one unit and it's China with an iffy rep per a few Northern Hydraulics buyers. Hard to believe there's no competition to this Omega 29023 unit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If I were in the market for a new floor jack I'd skip the made in China garbage and invest in a jack made in the USA. Hein-Werner, US Jack, Milwaukee Hydraulics all make extremely good quality floor jacks.

+1 The physics gets harder and harder when you talk about low profile (can be weaker) and longer length (more torque on notionally weaker parts). No way Id want to trust a made to the lowest cost point item, because if it fails, it can be very expensive...

IIRC: at least some...

Hein-Warner jacks are no longer american

its American assembled ""made in usa"" with chinese parts. at 350$

I'll take the michelin brand one from samsclub@100$

Last edited:
Nothing appears to match up to the low height and 'lifting arm' length of that Omega-and that's what's needed to reach under some of the low cars with 'long hoods'-trans am 350z lower Fiero in my case. It's a lot more dollars than those jacks I have that are shorter-all a bit over 100lbs=they need some competition! When some of our crushed out cars went offshore and came back to us as these products, I was interested in things such as weld qualities and metalurgy, but not seen problems in this area-I have some of the engine stands and a 'cherry picker'=no problems-and I've done some overtesting to verify safety. Also, I've never particularly bought into the old'you get what you pay for' that gramps always spouted-sometimes you do and sometimes not.

there are several other options, there is a clone version of the omega its atd brand(iirc)

and another one that is about 600$

normal long jacks are around 4" shorter than those 3.

Originally Posted By: Rand

I was thinking more like compac, which though Danish, at least is first world.

yep, I was replying to POPS_RIVET
but somehow failed.

OH and fyi dont google "LONG JACK"
smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-29023-Profil...ong++reach+jack

the omega jack. 45"? not sure if thats 100% correct

ATD Jack 42"~
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Design-Mo...ong++reach+jack

They are extremely similar.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

yep, I was replying to POPS_RIVET
but somehow failed.

smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-29023-Profil...ong++reach+jack

the omega jack. 45"? not sure if thats 100% correct

ATD Jack 42"~
http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Design-Mo...ong++reach+jack

They are extremely similar.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not according to the Hein-Werner website.

And just a few notes-"American" is always capitalized. USA is always capitalized. "Don't" has an apostrophe in it (as in "don't forget the apostrophe"). And indeed, among all the other failures, you failed to correctly quote my post.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

And just a few notes-"American" is always capitalized. USA is always capitalized. "Don't" has an apostrophe in it (as in "don't forget the apostrophe"). And indeed, among all the other failures, you failed to correctly quote my post.

Yes, I admitted to failing to quote your post.

Yes, I don't care about perfect punctuation and grammar police when typing from a cell phone on a internet forum.

smile.gif

OT: That reminds me of when a guy in one of my early college classes was checking out sporting goods and told us he tried to type in the URL box what he thought was the website for ****'s Sporting Goods and got more than what he bargained for.
crazy2.gif

This was early on in the www before search engines were available and one had to know the actual web address.

Slight OT:

My car's not wicked low, but my HF hand-me-down low profile jack won't reach under to the front jacking point. I have a set of 2x10" "steps" that I made up to pull the car on first. I gain 4.5" of clearance if I go to the top of the third step. It's low enough that I can jack the car up all the way and pull the steps out completely for wheel rotations. I usually only use the second step, as I don't need to go to full extension on the jack to clear the tires of the ramps.

Rear jacking point is easy, so I only need one set. Each step is about 18" long, which works for me, and means I can make each ramp out of 2x10 8ft stock. I could drive off the end and pull the steps out the side if I over shoot. With a real low front spoiler, you might need more lead in, or only want 3" total rise, 2 steps. I cut the ends 45* bevel for a nice transition. I can't pull my car on Rhino ramps without a block leading on to the ramp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back