Wanna find a deceased friend or relative...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The work my wife and I do (cemetery mapping and digitizing) goes into that database, along with the city/township records.

I have used the site and it is great. I had a question for Pop_Rivit though. For a few of my ancestors, Find a Grave shows them buried at a specific cemetery, but when I went there, not all headstones could be found. My question is, "Do you have access to other cemetery records to put on the website other than just reading the headstone info?

Thanks

Heh heh, maybe I'll look Charlie up. He's interred in Jamaica Plain, IIRC My father had more degrees than a thermometer. Charlie was endowed with common sense. I was very lucky to have them both as father figures.

Skip tracers have this info also i was looking for someone who bounced a check a few years back and we used a skip tracing program and it worked great.

sorry to hear about your best friend passing at 39..
frown.gif

You made my day.

My grandfather passed in 1991 and was last time I saw grave. That site had a picture of his grave stone and I was able to dig s up more detailed info on his B17 squadron where his role was weatherman on board in World War II.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: wayne50
I have used the site and it is great. I had a question for Pop_Rivit though. For a few of my ancestors, Find a Grave shows them buried at a specific cemetery, but when I went there, not all headstones could be found. My question is, "Do you have access to other cemetery records to put on the website other than just reading the headstone info?

Thanks

Sometimes.
When we contract with a city or township to do the cemetery, we ask for all of the records available for that cemetery. On some older cemeteries there are no paper records, on a couple it has been a bunch of paper records thrown together in a box, and on some the information is somewhat organized.

Once we have all of the paper records that exist, we organize and walk the cemetery with them and note any discrepancies. We also look for any grave markers that have been moved and try to match them up with the correct location and reset them (one cemetery had half a dozen civil war era markers leaning up against a tree). We combine what's on the headstone with any paper information we have.

After we create a map that is as accurate as possible with the information we have, it gets entered into the application that I wrote-the application allows the city/township clerk to add and lookup information, produce a map of the cemetery that shows unsold, sold (unoccupied) and occupied plots, and create deeds for unsold plots, print out lists, etc. Various organizations and interested people can then use the data to put on the website, along with photographs they take of the headstones.

In your case I would suggest contacting the managing entity for the cemetery and inquiring with them about the data they have available. It's not uncommon for grave markers to get misplaced or moved, or the existing records to indicate that someone is buried in cemetery A when they are actually buried in cemetery B. We've found that, especially in minimally managed cemeteries, the records can be very misleading and inaccurate. Also, when you go to the cemetery, look around for grave markers set up against trees, fence lines, etc. Especially with the older civil war era tombstones, it's common for them to fall over from frost heave or break. They then seem to get tossed in a pile somewhere in the cemetery in hopes that someone will someday fix it.

It can also be extremely difficult to read some of the older tombstones-we had to do quite a few rubbings in order to match the tombstone to a name. The soft stone they often used in the 19th century weathers very poorly.

Thank you Pop_Rivet for answering my questions. The info you provided was very interesting.

For what it's worth, one of my ancestor's headstones had a very clear and legible picture on FindaGrave, and when I actually found it in the cemetery it had weathered to the point of almost being unreadable. So I don't know how long ago the picture had been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back