walmart's terrible prices...

Status
Not open for further replies.
we were at walmart, looking at all the khrap, and saw an old friend, which happens to be an employee.

Us: how are you?

Worker: fine, how are you?

Us: o, we're fine, just shopping. Sure do have a lot to get.

Worker: prices here sure are high, you sure are going to pay a lot

Us: (surprised) yes... they are. (glad somebody agrees with us, just a worker there saying that is unusual)

So, workers can turn aganist there own place of employment!

This really isn't funny, just suprising.

From now on, when we see an advertisment about walmart on TV, we have to laugh when they say low prices....

07.gif

Quote:
This really isn't funny, just suprising

So why is this in humor section? I work at Wal-Mart and most people cant believe our "low prices" I work in the pharmacy and their $4 and $10 pricing for medication is a godsend to a lot of medicare patients who before were reaching their "donut" hole before the year was up and had to choose between food or medication. One extreme example is Terbinafine 250mg(Lamisil) for discolored nail from foot fungii, and most insurances don't cover it and cash price for that drug is over $100. At Wal-Mart its $4 dollars and at cost pricing is well above $100. So Wallyworld takes a big hit on this drug.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
If Walmart is expensive, who is cheap?

I wonder where the Walmart employee shops when he receives his monstrous Walmart paycheck? Neiman-Marcus, perhaps.

deven: after hanging here for over 1,100 posts, you should realize by now that some BITOGers temporarily build their puny self-esteem and self-worth by bashing Wal-Mart.

Let's quickly and conveniently ignore the fact that over 75% of the goods I've purchased or looked at in the past five years were made in China. That includes "high-end" and "low-end" products. But, only Wal-mart is singled out for ASSassination.

And if it were all "khrap" (tennessee speak?), why was fordboy in Wal-mart to begin with? Hanging with the lower class just before his shopping spree at Nordstrom?

At least that Wal-mart employee had a job. Maybe the conditions there are so bad he should consider quitting and hooking up with a high paying, high benefit job. Perhaps the UAW? Or a local GM dealership? Chrysler dealership? Wall Street?

shop around wal mart is not always the lowest and their prices are getting higher it seemsi found oil at advanced auto cheaper than walmart 5 qts of pennzoil yellow and a pureone oil filter $19.99

Be intellectually honest, don’t shop there ever again if Walmart is so horrible.
As for me, they are cheaper than of the competition on 95% of the items I purchase there. For the others I go elsewhere, who said ONE retailer has to have the cheapest prices on EVERYTHING?

For a few more months, possibly years depening on what forethcoming legislation, the consumer still has some input on prices. Proof enough, I have seen falling oil prices, ranging from $2- $4 a 5qt. container depending on producers. If you don't buy it, prices have to come down to liquidate stock.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
shop around wal mart is not always the lowest and their prices are getting higher it seems

I worked there for a number of years. You're not imagining things, it is indeed impossible to remain number one without a decent margin to continue expanding. Alot of "loss-leaders" are sold at/near/below wholesale cost (keep in mind, break-even cost at walmart is wholesale + 8%). Target percentage is between 10-12% over wholesale to return a profit. They hope your purchases will be about 20% (or less) of the loss-leaders, with the others being profitable purchases. Yes, the net profit margin margin at Wal-Mart hovers between 2-4%, you read that correctly...

Partially why the TLE can make so much money around x-mas time, and still lose out.

Yeah, TLE is a pretty consistent loss or break even. They want you inside the store buying profitable [censored] while you wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: dkryan
deven: after hanging here for over 1,100 posts, you should realize by now that some BITOGers temporarily build their puny self-esteem and self-worth by bashing Wal-Mart.

Let's quickly and conveniently ignore the fact that over 75% of the goods I've purchased or looked at in the past five years were made in China. That includes "high-end" and "low-end" products. But, only Wal-mart is singled out for ASSassination.

And if it were all "khrap" (tennessee speak?), why was fordboy in Wal-mart to begin with? Hanging with the lower class just before his shopping spree at Nordstrom?

At least that Wal-mart employee had a job. Maybe the conditions there are so bad he should consider quitting and hooking up with a high paying, high benefit job. Perhaps the UAW? Or a local GM dealership? Chrysler dealership? Wall Street?

I think "khrap" was to avoid the censor.

I find many things WalMart is cheaper, some not. But I find Big Lots is often more expensive than other stores and I don't see Big Lots bashing, etc.

John

My WM has removed one more reason for me to darken their door. They used to sell really nice, thick microfiber towels and I bought them like they were going out of style. Well, I guess I was right - they went out of style. I went in there yesterday to replenish my supply to find that they've replaced them with those [censored], ultra-thin ones with the white stitching on the outside edges, and they're the same price as the really nice ones.

I'm down to just motor oil and sunglasses now, and they nearly lost me on motor oil with their lack of PP 5W-30 on the shelves.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
shop around wal mart is not always the lowest and their prices are getting higher it seemsi found oil at advanced auto cheaper than walmart 5 qts of pennzoil yellow and a pureone oil filter $19.99
It's hard to beat Wally World prices on 5 quart bottles of motor oil. Although clearance sales at auto parts stores are often cheaper, they only come along ~ once a year. I do notice that WalMart charges more for air and oil filters than most auto parts stores.

Basically it comes down to intelligent pricing. WalMart is always competitively priced on those items whose prices are easy to recall (eg: 2 liter bottles of Coke, a quart of Mobil 1, etc.). They recoup their profit by pricing less competitvely on those items whose prices aren't as easily remembered (eg: air filters).
That's the way it's supposed to be done.

Advance Auto Parts is an example of how not to do it. They gouge you on synthetic oils. These items never leave the shelves and they gather dust over the years that they remain there. Then they have blowout sales where they price synthetic oils at $0.95 a quart. Very stupid and inefficient pricing for the retailer, but great for the consumer.

Last edited:
Wally's prices aren't allways the cheapest. Yes their prices have been rising.
Weekly specials, sales, and even auto parts store special deals can beat W/M prices if you shop around.
I'm talking food, auto supplies, and some health and beauty stuff.

Every day low pricing retailers, like Wal-Mart, don't always have the lowest price. Low doesn't mean lowest. They have consistently low prices overall though, which is their appeal.

WM is sneaky snarky, they won't match walmart.com which is more competitive when you cross shop against other online discounters (amazon etc).

I remember almost overpaying for super glue of all things. Who knows what super glue costs off the top of their heads? Exactly.

Cat litter, laundry and dish soap, and other household stuff is sometimes cheaper at Target... I am as suprised as the next guy.

WM like most other stores master the "cheap hamburger, expensive buns" sale on Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc.

They are real expensive on beer for some reason.
frown.gif

The issue with walmart is (a) the caliber of people - slobs, rude, lazy people and most do not speak english; (b) the fear that WalMart's leverage on suppliers to meet a price target cheapens and reduces the quality - how can it not?; and, (c) The ridiculously long lines to check out if you are in there at any reasonable hour.

So Im stuck in a line with slobby, rude people, many who do not even speak english or care if they hit you with their cart, something their kid throws, etc., waiting hours to save 5c, on a product which may potentially have inferior quality or be contributing to the reduction in the quality of the product?

Their oil selection is good, and walking to that, sometimes something will catch my eye, but otherwise, no thanks.

And it has nothing to do with "class" in terms of richness or earning power. People who don't have a pot can be courteous and friendly just like everybody else - alas, you go to EITHER end of the spectrum, and it is worse than inbetween, which isnt very nice and getting worse as well...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino

They are real expensive on beer for some reason.
frown.gif

The local Supercenter seems to be on par with the grocery stores on beer, which is about as cheap as it gets. However, WM does have one very generic beer called Country Club malt liquor. It's $3.40 or so for a six pack. I have almost bought it, but haven't because I can't imagine it being any good (and I will drink King Cobra).

I'm kind of with JHZR2 on this. One of my main gripes with WM is the other customers. People seem to be at their worst when they are in that store. Only concerned with themselves, content to make a mess or let their kids make a mess, and generally rude. I can't stand to go there anytime other than weekdays.

Simply shopping around his the best thing you can do....

5 qts of Napa synthetic 15 bucks

AAP-cartridge filter for 4.39 (cheapest around)

See, didn't even need to shop WM for that....

I find alot things at big box stores are overpriced. But like others have said, shop around. I've found honeywell oil filters for $3.50 at my local auto parts store. FRAM's are $6-7 here...
One thing I am tempted to buy at walmart is breakfast cereal as it is overpriced at all our grocery stores. The shreddies I bought there I suspect were made in China though, they have the "imported by" tag which means khrap quality most of time. I'll have to check at my regular grocery store and see if they are different or the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back