Walmart's new Super Tech air filters use their own part numbering system

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do not use the numbering system of Fram, Purolator, Wix, or any other manufacturer.

The ST part numbers are a four-digit number starting with 1 or 2. For example, 2255. On the back, the comparable Fram part number will be listed. Also, most of them seem to be made in the USA
34.gif

So now Walmart has Supertech and Fram Ultra air filters along with ST cabin filters. Gone are the Fram fresh breeze cabin filters with the charcoal and baking soda. The ST cabin filters do not have the charcoal layer.

There is catalog available for them yet, and they are not yet listed on walmart.com

You can see pictures of the ST air filters photobombing 53 Stude's pics of the OEM oil filters they now carry

[Linked Image]

Fram is going to have to redo their packaging, they are rated for only 12K miles on the box. By that logic the supertech must be better!

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Fram is going to have to redo their packaging, they are rated for only 12K miles on the box. By that logic the supertech must be better!

What makes Fram so good?

Originally Posted by CT8

What makes Fram so good?

I think you are misinterpreting what I was referring too. The Supertechs in the photo are rated for 30,000 miles, while the Frams are only 12,000 miles. Most people would look at both filters packaging and think that the Supertech is obviously a better filter based off of mileage claims.

Originally Posted by CT8

What makes Fram so good?

I think you are misinterpreting what I was referring too. The Supertechs in the photo are rated for 30,000 miles, while the Frams are only 12,000 miles. Most people would look at both filters packaging and think that the Supertech is obviously a better filter based off of mileage claims.

I doubt they're "rated" for 12,000 miles. If they meet the manufacturer spec they should be able to be used for the manufacturer specified interval.

I just picked up a Fram CA8911 for my wife's 2002 Honda Civic LX. Less than $13 at WM. Asked how much at a Honda dealer and they wanted $29 for an OEM filter. I looked up the recommended maintenance interval and it said every 30,000 miles regardless of time. Didn't say anything about conditions, although maybe there was fine print somewhere about dusty conditions. The filter did look nice and gray. It was a Pep Boys house brand that I got maybe 5+ years ago. I wasn't thinking about it and then all of a sudden I realized I should have a look at it. It wrote down the time and mileage on the filter when I installed it. So it's been a bit over the recommended mileage although I doubt it's at the point where anything bad happened. The side on the throttle body was absolutely spotless while the intake side was somewhat dusty. I also found a few leaves and a candy wrapper. I guess that must have added restriction.

But what does it mean by 12,000 miles which is on every single box of air filters? I thought that most filters actually filter better when they're somewhat loaded. But then that increases air restriction. I doubt that they did some sort of test on a fleet of vehicles, especially when a ton of their filters are bought from some supplier in Asia or Eastern Europe where Fram had nothing to do with the design or manufacturing. To me that's like Pennzoil or Jiffy Lube marketing 3000 mile oil changes. They're just trying to sell more on the basis that "we're good, but change it often because we think it's better".

I was tempted to get a new Fram air filter for my WRX, but I'm not sure. The OEM ones from Subaru all have this rigid frame and a hard surround covered with paper. The Fram is their traditional white dry media with a radioactive orange soft foam surround. The OEM filters are oiled. I was tempted because it was less than $7 at WM. For

As for their rationale, I looked it up and I don't think it's necessarily to protect the engine. They're claiming it's to improve performance.

https://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/air-filters/
Every 12,000 miles we change the engine air filters in our vehicles. This simple task helps increase airflow, horsepower and overall engine performance, even in tough driving conditions. And FRAM engine air filters are the best in the business.

Just a clarification - wasn't a Pep Boys house brand. Was a Purolator, but I think I bought it at Pep Boys. It was just a commodity part made in China that could end up with any one of a dozen different brands.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Are those Toyota oil filters? At Walmart?

Yeah. Been looking recently and besides ACDelco, Mopar, and Motorcraft, I've seen Toyota and Hyundai OEM filters on the shelves at WM. A few (but not all) are listed as being sold by WM on their website.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toyota-Genuine-Oil-Filter-90915-YZZF1/856443473
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toyota-04152-YZZA4-Oil-Filter/105431873

I was looking at AutoZone recently and I saw OEM Honda, Subaru, Nissan, and Toyota filters. Some looked like they had to slap on a UPC code because the dealer doesn't have one.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Years ago I was told by one in the know at Fram that the 12k AF interval recommendation was more/most about selling filters than an actual need to replace. Unlike the 10k mile ST OF recommendation, I'd actually agree with the ST 30k AF recommendation. As compared to OFs, AFs do become more efficient with use. That was also noted/confirmed by the previously noted Fram individual.

Like the stocking/selling of OEM OFs another interesting development in WM automotive dept. Some competition for the former Fram AF monopoly at WM, a good thing imo. I don't see a price. Wonder who's making them for WM/ST.

As an aside, don't understand the thumbs down in the topic. I couldn't care less if the ST's have/use thier own numbering system. If they don't have a catalog yet, they soon will. And seems like box labeling with make on box and the stated comparable Fram number on back, if interested in purchase, will get you there until catalog available. All things considered, I give this event a thumbs up.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As an aside, don't understand the thumbs down in the topic. I couldn't care less if the ST's have/use thier own numbering system. If they don't have a catalog yet, they soon will. And seems like box labeling with make on box and the stated comparable Fram number on back, if interested in purchase, will get you there until catalog available. All things considered, I give this event a thumbs up.

What are the big ones to piggyback off the numbering? I guess Fram, Wix, and Purolator. I don't even think they necessarily source from any one company, but it's pretty easy to just find one to make it easy.

^^^ As you mention, Fram, Wix and Purolator would be the biggest. At AZ, STP is popular but no idea who their numbering system based off if any. However, unlike OFs I couldn't tell off the top of my head what the application numbers are for the vehicles I own. Replacing every 30-35k miles not something I keep track of, just look it up anyway. As noted, ST having their own numbering system not a big deal imo. I'll be more interested in pricing and seeing how they compare construction wise to equivalent Fram at WM and others.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
why use oem, if you can get a fram ultra

The Fram Ultra air filters are awesome! The only problem is their applications are limited. The worst part is that there are no Fram Ultras for the cars where the OEM air filter media is oiled
mad.gif

Ahh my Fram Ultra air filter was pre oiled... 4309 one. It was in a wrapped plastic wrap.. and it was oiled lightly.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I doubt they're "rated" for 12,000 miles. If they meet the manufacturer spec they should be able to be used for the manufacturer specified interval.

Exactly. This should never be forgotten.

Looking in a couple WM stores today, no ST AFs have arrived here. Did see a Hyun/Kia and Toyota OFs for the first time, price much better than AZ. Hoping the ST AFs arrive and take the space now occupied by Fresh Breeze CAFs. Be no loss there, solution in search of a problem imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back