Walmart's Bosch Distance Plus, can you spot holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, I went to Walmart and decided to see if they still had any clearance Bosch filters. They did! D3422 (PH3600-type). I bought the last 3.

Only look at the bright areas, it's hard to take a representative picture because of shadows. Can you spot the holes?
vSBrI8C.jpg

kCW84ji.jpg

SgqlNDD.jpg

Me neither. However I am now a firm believer in Purolator's slogan of "Nothing Gets By Us".
whistle.gif

All 3 were like that, one slightly better but still not open enough to see the filtering media.
XNf4U22.jpg

H and G year date codes so 2015 and 2016. The 2 worst ones were made on Jan 19 2016, same line same shift. Learn from me, and open the box while in store, guys, before purchase. I'm debating if it's even worthwhile to return $2 filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
LOUVERS!
wink.gif

To add ... some pretty closed up louvers.

I thought about calling them louvers, enough to look for a dictionary definition. Would it still be called louvers if it's closed and nothing can pass through? The first two were just completely closed solid.

each of a set of angled slats or flat strips fixed or hung at regular intervals in a door, shutter, or screen to allow air or light to pass through.
a domed structure on a roof, with side openings for ventilation.

Last edited:
I thought the guy who was obsessed with this sort of thing past away.

I don't want to take up the anti-louver mantle, but I do want to call out Purolator and it's QC. Especially on a $11.97 MSRP "premium"-level filter.

If the bottom-facing louvers are just as closed as the top-facing ones, then this filter would be running in bypass 100%, without doing any filtering.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Crazyoildude would not approve!

Not a loaded question but, would you use a filter that looks that way? I'm asking seriously because I think the D+ clearance filters that I bought have 'tight' louvers.

I've also never studied the inside of an oil filter until I came here.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

Not a loaded question but, would you use a filter that looks that way? I'm asking seriously because I think the D+ clearance filters that I bought have 'tight' louvers.

I would. Two points-If it was running in bypass mode for one OCI-it wouldn't hurt a thing. Second point-my car wouldn't blow up from using it.

It would be interesting to send a filter to the factory. Your pictures are not detailed enough to email the picture to Bosch to get a finding.

Without a finding from the factory-I would run those filters every other oil change (just in case) until I used them up. I would use a quality oil filter between them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata

Its hard without having the filter in my hands, I can't tell how much is angle and lighting. If it truly looks that tight in my hands , i would not use it. But i don't run puro products now. I used to.

Sorry, it's difficult to get a clear picture.

1ZkV7Hu.jpg

2ZAHAPG.jpg

I wouldn't use a filter if it doesn't do any filtering, though.

Originally Posted By: ruhroh
Alright. That was the best I could do, so I guess I apologize for the useless thread.

Not your fault, there is no way to decently light and photograph that through a 1/2 inch hole. You did the best you could, i appreciate the effort.
I think disassembly photos will be necessary to judge this filter. Perhaps someone here will volunteer to cut it open for us?

Last edited:
Couldn't the "open" part of the louvers be facing away from us? Hard to tell from the pic...

If you'd like to donate them, they'll fit my '97 Tracer wagon commuter car lol.

Looks like a failed stamping on the louvers to me. The shiny part of the metal is where it's been stretched upward, but not opened.

Cut one open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back