walmart = zero bicycles

Originally Posted by JTK
Yep. This complete lack of box store online bicycle availability started about a week into April.

The last few days of March, my wife and kids suggested they wanted to get me a bicycle as a very early father's day gift since everyone was home and the weather was nice.

Not wanting to spend a lot because I haven't owned a bike in like 35yrs, I mail ordered myself my Mongoose dolomite 26", 7spd fat bike off walmart for $259. I got it like 2-3days later. There were many bikes to choose from online and in-store at that point.

A week after that I saw the bike I ordered online for ~$600. Another week beyond that nothing available aside from $700+ wally-world bicycles and kids bikes.

Seth's Bike Hacks on youtube kinda liked it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9JGxBJ5hw8
Sounds a bit like my fat bike, which had similar issues. Once there is normal shipping from China you can have fun upgrading for dozens of dollars! I found a $29 7spd MEGArange rear freewheel cassette with a 34t large cog, and bought a $9 32t narrow wide front chain ring, which improved the gearing from the original 36t front and 28t rear, so it climbs almost as well as my normal bike, using the extra fat tire traction. I stuck my old flat pedals on, learned how to tune up the mechanical discs, and its actually quite capable on the trails, just not that fast on the climbs. My next upgrade is a bigger front tire as the rim is actually too wide for the 4.0" tires it came with and if you run the tire too soft it self steers and the tire bottoms out on the inside rim in the corners... I found a 4.9" tire for $50 including shipping which I think is pretty decent.
[Linked Image]

Two days ago I went to several local bike stores for parts. My findings: shortage of new bikes, parts, tires and tubes sold out. Dealers cannot get new stock in to replenish empty parts shelves. Service on bikes has a 4-5 week wait. My advice, take care of what you may have and lock it up!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyIan

Sounds a bit like my fat bike, which had similar issues. Once there is normal shipping from China you can have fun upgrading for dozens of dollars! I found a $29 7spd MEGArange rear freewheel cassette with a 34t large cog, and bought a $9 32t narrow wide front chain ring, which improved the gearing from the original 36t front and 28t rear, so it climbs almost as well as my normal bike, using the extra fat tire traction. I stuck my old flat pedals on, learned how to tune up the mechanical discs, and its actually quite capable on the trails, just not that fast on the climbs. My next upgrade is a bigger front tire as the rim is actually too wide for the 4.0" tires it came with and if you run the tire too soft it self steers and the tire bottoms out on the inside rim in the corners... I found a 4.9" tire for $50 including shipping which I think is pretty decent.

Here's mine. At some point I'd like to replace the freewheel on mine to upgrade from the factory 28 tooth. 1st gear isn't low enough for off pavement. I'm not equipped for serious riding, but have put some pavement miles on her with my kids the past few months. It gets ridden almost daily for at least a few miles/day. I have noticeable tread wear already. Like I say, I haven't owned or done any real bike riding in like 35yrs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by IndyIan

Here's mine. At some point I'd like to replace the freewheel on mine to upgrade from the factory 28 tooth. 1st gear isn't low enough for off pavement. I'm not equipped for serious riding, but have put some pavement miles on her with my kids the past few months. It gets ridden almost daily for at least a few miles/day. I have noticeable tread wear already. Like I say, I haven't owned or done any real bike riding in like 35yrs.

Looks pretty sharp with those blue wheels! I like the fat bike for riding with the kids as well, its good to have a little extra drag to give you a bit more of a work out. Is the front chain ring replaceable on your bike? If not you could just replace that side crank arm with one that will allow replaceable, we have a guy that is basically a bike wrecker and stuff like that is $5-10. I wouldn't worry about the tires wearing, I think unless you are trail riding on wet clay soil, its just the amount of surface area that gives alot of the grip. We have a tricky climb in our pine woods and I got off line into the pine needles and the back tire still held somehow to my surprise. Also I found that the big tires howl really good if you lock the back up on smooth concrete, or hardpack dirt.

I've thought a few times about getting a fat bike but the weight of the lower end ones keep me away. Maybe this winter when I want a slow bike that keeps me warm.

My boss brought his fat bike to work once. I was immediately jealous when I realized it was lighter than my road bike!

The constraints on the supply chain plus the rampant theft of bicycles are likely the two reasons for the shortage.

Bike theft in the metro areas of the PNW is very common. I imagine it's the same everywhere else.

It's just another reason not to shop at Walmart.

Personally I'd look elsewhere as I wouldn't have trusted the bikes they were selling anyways.

Originally Posted by supton
I've thought a few times about getting a fat bike but the weight of the lower end ones keep me away. Maybe this winter when I want a slow bike that keeps me warm.

My boss brought his fat bike to work once. I was immediately jealous when I realized it was lighter than my road bike!

Yeah, I was kind of surprised how light they can get, but the bike industry is pretty proficient at making stuff to spend more money on!
Mine is ~39lb with an aluminum frame, seat post, cranks. The fork is steel so I guess that would be a spot to save weight cheaply, and messing around trying to go tubeless and lighter tires but I could spend more on tires than the bike. I think my normal freeride bike is ~35lbs and I prefer it to my lighter but more flexy XC bike. Also lots of people are happy with $2-3k 32-34lb all mountain hardtails or dual suspension, so its not too far from that. The tires are fun though, they find grip on loose stuff and roll over things that my other tires would slip or stop on.

I'm glad I got my bike buying itch scratched for a while last year.

Of course, looking for a smart trainer for those days when it's rainy or I'm on call and can't be 20+ miles away from home is just as challenging...

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
It's just another reason not to shop at Walmart.

Personally I'd look elsewhere as I wouldn't have trusted the bikes they were selling anyways.

I agree with ya, but they probably sell 100x more bicycles than anyone else. During 'normal' times that is..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
was in walmart a few times over the last couple months, they have zero bikes on the racks. It amazes me how certain "hobby" items are almost impossible to get because of COVID. You would think WM would have a supply chain robust enough to make bicycles as fast as people can buy them.

Bikes are pretty complicated items that require many parts not produced at same place. Walmart had trouble stocking simple household items.

for what it's worth - I was looking for a cheap schwinn to run around with my kids. my walmart online order sat for about a month before they cancelled it.

I learned my lesson about Walmart bikes the hard way and it took me 3-4 bikes to learn it. All simple beach cruisers but the Huffy and Schwinn Chinese offerings are garbage. Our beach house environment eats them up. Plus, the basic components are crap... Chains, sprockets, coatings.
I bought a Fuji beach cruiser from the local bike store and beach bike rental place one year at their Labor Day sale when they unload all of their summer rental bikes. World's of difference in quality compared to the Walmart junk. Think I paid $225 for mine. Still had plastic film on the crankset. Still going strong after sitting outs for 6years.

We have 2 Cannondale bikes, street types,,,no problems,,,from a real bike store, not Walmart...yes if you have kids Walmart cheap stuff is for you,,,been there done that when my kids were young 30 years ago,,

Originally Posted by eyeofthetiger
I got two mtn bikes. I only need one. Good time to sell?

Excellent time to sell.

I sold several bikes last month that I had hanging around quite quickly for very good prices.

Try finding a women's bike! In this area = impossible. Yes we are looking used as well for my wife. Her last bike she never rode - but she is getting back into it, she is already fit, and wants to go far on local trails. Old bike was victimized as yet another test bed and eventually was thrashed. Bikes definitely have a finite life anyway, start stripping them all the way down, 2 stroke, then 4 stroke, then e-motors On and Off, they die an inglorious but useful death from 12 years of testing - smashed tubes, stripped threads, cracked frames......not normal stuff.
crazy2.gif

Anyway - no luck on women's bike, so we are just going to be patient for 2021 models.

Me? I want to finally get a good suspension mountain bike that is also good for a geezer. Not really anything available either, but I have my eyes on a $2000 Specialized Stumpjumper ST Alloy 27.5, small. So tempting...........I want a bike this time that is a bit smaller (S) than my recommended size (lower end of M), full suspension, dropper seat post, etc
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Pablo

Me? I want to finally get a good suspension mountain bike that is also good for a geezer. Not really anything available either, but I have my eyes on a $2000 Specialized Stumpjumper ST Alloy 27.5, small. So tempting...........I want a bike this time that is a bit smaller (S) than my recommended size (lower end of M), full suspension, dropper seat post, etc
grin2.gif

Take a look at Canyon for a little bit more, but check the components. Back in stock soon it says
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/neuron/neuron-al-7.0/2515.html?dwvar_2515_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY

My wife asked for a new bike from me as well, she was on a 26" MOTOBECANE
shocked2.gif

Anyway my local LBS was able to hook me up considering I have been a long term client. But wow they were really short on bikes, I guess I got lucky. She loves her new bike and I am jealous of the color it looks great
https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/pique-29-3

[Linked Image from images.giant-bicycles.com]

Last edited:
Common parts are getting scarce in the bike stores. Can't find tires in my area. A Craigslist listing got me the needed tires at a good price to keep me going well into next year.
I was told by two local bike dealers that there is a 4-6 week wait for anyone needing repairs. It's a good time to learn how to do repairs yourself.

Back