WalMart TLE mandating synthetics for newer cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a former TLE employee moving on to a higher paying factory job. Yesterday in one store, I came across a posted sign behind one of their registers noting that "All 2011 and newer model year vehicles require synthetic oil to maintain your warranty." I can provide a photo of it as soon as I can.

Aside from being cheap enough to take a 2 year old car to have it serviced at WalMart, does this sound like an unfair money grab or is it a questionable method to prevent them from inadvertently voiding a customer's powertrain warranty? I cannot recall my TLE ever having access to a manufacturer's specific warranty conditions aside from GM's, so it wasn't a huge deal to me then.

I'm also wondering if other WalMarts have this signage posted in their TLE.

Are they mandating (so they will not service your car unless you choose it), or advising that this is the case to maintain your warranty?

Saw a sign in the massena NY walmart in the automotive department stating all 2011 and newer GM products will only be serviced with synthetic oil, no mention of GM's dexos approval though. How can they dictate which oil you can use.

Last edited:
Love to see the picture when you get it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Are they mandating (so they will not service your car unless you choose it), or advising that this is the case to maintain your warranty?

Questionable either way. They're making a blanket statement for all vehicles that will require a more expensive product. I'm sure there will be lawyers ready to line up on this once the news is out.

I'd put it in the "questionable method to avoid voiding customer's warranty" category. So many new cars have synthetic oil requirements and Wal Mart has cheap enough synthetics, and so many doltish employees that its just easier to do it that way.

Agreed Jim. To reference the cheap SA oil thread, perhaps it's to keep "inattentive" employees from grabbing ND SA motor oil for a new vehicle.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Looks like another WM bash a comin.
27.gif

if they are doing something wrong/stupid/misleading, is that bad? I cant understand the need to protect wally at all costs...

But if you use synthetic that doesn't meet the manufacturer's specs and your engine pops ... doesnt matter if it's synthetic or not ...

Just got back from Walmart and checked into what was going on.

Yes they have a sign that says (in some many words) that if your vehicle is a 2011 or newer it MAY need syn oil to protect the warranty and the tech will discuss it with you. Talked to a tech and he showed me a 11x17 laminated sheet with all vehicles that have 0w oils (so some Toyotas, etc) and vehicles like GM with dexos (or whatever they call it) spec.

He said for 0w-20 they are using Quaker State and for Dexos the same in a 5w-30.

Sounds like good business practice to me. If someone buys a vehicle that "needs" the spec they will use it. It WILL cost more ...

I did not have my phone with me so sorry no pics....
06.gif

Bill

Ummm sound like a case of someone half reading the notice, or maybe just the parts they wanted so they could create a agenda...

I should add that the list was pretty complete..

Some Toyotas, Subarus, Fords (looked to be the Raptor and Mustangs) and others were listed.

Also they go into the store (now there is a waste) and pull it off the shelf when they need it. So I'd expect you to pay for the jug and single quart prices when you need more than a jug? (I forgot to ask and my wife was ticked that I spent time with them since I never have them touch our vehicles....)

Bill

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Love to see the picture when you get it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Questionable either way. They're making a blanket statement for all vehicles that will require a more expensive product. I'm sure there will be lawyers ready to line up on this once the news is out.

Why would a lawyer be involved? They are a private company(as opposed to Gov't), like any other oil change company. If Juffylube wanted to have X brand filters, they can. If they wanted to only carry X oil, they can. If they wanted to say that all Saturn Ions manufactured from 2003-2004, ending with the full moon in December get Quaker State 0w30, they can. It's a private company policy, they can do whatever they want. If you don't like their service, don't go there. It's not a legal issue.

Sounds like they are just trying to keep the customer out of trouble....

Many local lube places here do the same thing.....

If you think it's a money grab, either change your own oil, or don't buy a 2011 or newer car....

It's pretty much that simple.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Thanks Bill for clearing this WM's sign "newer model year vehicles require synthetic oil".

+1

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Thanks Bill for clearing this WM's sign "newer model year vehicles require synthetic oil".

+2. Looks like the lawyers will be staying away in droves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back