Walmart tires and oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine is telling me he thinks Walmart is possibly getting out of the tire and oil changing business. He is basing this on some new Walmarts not having tire and lube centers. He travels to many towns across the USA, anyone got any input on this?

That sucks. Seemed to be the only place I could go to get a tire mounted cheap.

I was in one Walmart over the weekend and they didn't have any oil on the shelves. Went to one last night and it was the same thing.

Not much oil in the Epping store, but tons of oil in our Plaistow store. That's where I got the 0w20 VSP for the Forester OCi#1 I just performed this weekend. And yes , the filter on top of the engine was empty of oil.

The stores here in Toronto are definitely backing out of the auto service business. They have leased out the auto service bays to a popular auto/service/lube chain. Also, Costco looks like it is scaling back.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
The stores here in Toronto are definitely backing out of the auto service business. They have leased out the auto service bays to a popular auto/service/lube chain. Also, Costco looks like it is scaling back.

But they will still be present in the walmart stores? As long as they keep the price cheap.

But it's strange to think they would be getting out of it. Seems like it's a good loss leader to get people in the store. My guess is they aren't making enough on using it as a loss leader and they realize hat if they raise the prices to the point of being competitive, people will stop using it.

As long as they keep selling AFE and Ford filters for a good price, I'll be happy!

Too many lawsuits when their disgruntled 8-10$ an hour employees destoy cars by accident?

If that's the case, too bad as more limited choices aren't good for the consumer. Years ago Target had about the same as Walmart today-now look at it-very little left. I now think of Target as more of a 'gals store'. I worked at Target #5 for a while selling photo equipment and a number of the staff were moonlighting photographers. I learned a lot and the customer, too with great help on their purchases-

Well, nothing stays the same forever. Seems like the Walmart I go to has about the same amount of oil as it ever did.

I can see letting go of the TLE. Walmart is really good a moving boxes of cheap stuff. In one door, out the other. Stuff that sits on a shelf, that is usually no good for anyone's business. Running a lift and dealing with potentially expensive mistakes? Seems hard to make a profit, not when Iffy Lube etc already have a foot in the door. Yeah, great idea, get some groceries, plastic junk and an oil change all at once: but I'd be hardly surprised if it didn't work out. Not all ideas pan out.

Shame though as I just got a set of rims for my truck, and am now thinking of what tires to put on; and I might have used Walmart for mnt/bal.

I've bought plenty of sets of tires over the years and had Wal-Mart install them. They have always done a good job. Cant say the same about Discount Tire. YMMV

Crossed-up conversations going on this thread.

OP is talking about oil change service (and tire service), not selling oil over-the-counter.

Seems to me that making a decision to stop selling oil over-the-counter would indicate Walmart management has lost their minds.

This might be true. A brand new super Walmart just opened by me. Huge auto section but no TLE. And they specifically said there never will be.

They do have the best selection of oil and atf I've ever seen though.

Originally Posted By: babbittd
Crossed-up conversations going on this thread.

OP is talking about oil change service (and tire service), not selling oil over-the-counter.

Seems to me that making a decision to stop selling oil over-the-counter would indicate Walmart management has lost their minds.

Definitely crossed conversations, but my observation last few times I went into Walmart was that both of them were almost sold out of oil. Real strange.

I hope they won't stop selling oil. Otherwise no more synthetics for me!

I think I reported a year or two ago that our local Wal*Mart TLE was re-branded/co-branded Jiffy Lube.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
The tle's were going to be sold to another company.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
It would wise be to keep their TLE so customers can spend $$$$$ inside the store while their car is being worked on.

But if leased out to some sort of quick lube, the liability is no on someone else! Seems like a win-win.

Hopefully prices on tire balance don't rise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back