Walmart Tech2000 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that past posts indicate that Tech2000 is PetroCanada and that SuperTech isn't QS but a separate company bought by QS to PZ to Shell and that quite likely the new ST will be the same as Shell to make up for the lost Equilon market.

I spoke to people at Walmarts in Cambridge and Mississauga. They told me that Tech2000 (in Canada) is made by Safety Kleen and is made from recycled oil. They said it defiantly is not made by Petro Canada. I also emailed Petro Canada and asked them if they made Tech2000 and their reply was no. The store in Cambridge in fact has a sign in front of jugs of Tech2000 oil advertising the oil as from Safety Kleen.

[ July 12, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Bones ]

tech2000 is made by safety kleen. i think there is one synthetic report in the UOA forum. i used the 5w30 in my honda for a while with no problems.

quote:

Originally posted by Rick:
Yes but Petro Canada doesn't make 0W-30.

Actually I believe they do. TooSlick has mentioned a 0w30 PC oil in the past. It's not at the gas stations though, I believe it's special order.

Similar confusion between Warren and Specialty Petroleum in U.S. I believe that Warren, like SafetyKleen has the packaging contract from Wal-Mart.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001365

"posted May 02, 2003 02:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got of the phone. It took a while but I got the information. Tech2000 in Canada?s Wal-Mart is made by Petro-Canada. It?s their 100% synthetic oil(Passenger Car Motor Oils, Petro-Canada Synthetic). Repackaged by another company (Safety Clean) and sold as Tech2000 at Wal-Mart. What do you guys think about the quality of that oil. It sales for $22CAN for 4 L.
Here is the link to the info on the oil.
http://www.htlubricants.com/eng/prodserv/lubesgreases/6886.htm

Excellent forum. Lots of information. Thanks."

Is this oil any good. For cold winters that is.
Can this oil still be a Hydrocracked oil with a 0W?

Keep in mind that Rick is up here in Ontario, so our supplier for Walmart oil is probably not Quaker State.

It would be interesting to see how this oil performs, however when it's on the same shelf as the 0w30 Castrol Formula SLX, it's hard to turn that oil down, even if it's a dollar or two more per liter.

quote:

Actually I believe they do. TooSlick has mentioned a 0w30 PC oil in the past. It's not at the gas stations though, I believe it's special order.

I have seen it on Petro-Canada (gas station) shelves in Nova Scotia. The last time was in May, just outside Mahone Bay. They had two lines of synthetic, one noted as hydrocracked and a second identified as PAO.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

It would be interesting to see how this oil performs, however when it's on the same shelf as the 0w30 Castrol Formula SLX, it's hard to turn that oil down, even if it's a dollar or two more per liter.

Well, even though I said this a while ago, I decided to pick up some of this Tech 2000 0w30 today to try in my mom's car. I'll be sticking with 3-4k intervals anyways, since it takes her about a year to go that distance. It was $21.98 for a 4.4L jug (which coincidentally is her oil capacity!), which is $4.99 per liter, vs $6.66 for GC. I know GC would show her good results, but I'm just curious to see how this oil does, especially after I heard it was supplied by Petro Canada (so this stuff could be their Duron 0w30, which is 11.5cst at 100c)

I'll be draining her current oil (5w30 GTX HM) in a week or two, and putting in this stuff. Unfortunately, it'll be next fall before we see the results from it. So hopefully someone else will try it and do a UOA before me.

They also had some really old 0w30 synthetic there, called Walmart's finest, which was SJ rated and supplied by Syn-Oil of Toronto.

I was also happy to see more GC 0w30 on the shelf there (Meadowvale Walmart), 12L worth (last week there were only 6 or 7L) and strangely enough only 7 of the 10 old bottles of 0w30 remain now. Who would've bought only 3L of 0w30? (and why would they buy the old stuff too, when it's buried behind the GC!?)

You guys are the only ones who understand how I can get entertainment from visiting the oil aisles at Walmart and Canadian Tire!
grin.gif

I doubt PC let's Walmart market their Artic 0W30 exactly as it they make it for themselves. It's probably quite close, base stock etc. with a different additive package.

PC has been selling Artic for years.

Wouldn't it be much easier for them to repackage an existing oil for Walmart than to specially reformulate a new one though?

So you think it's Arctic 0w30 they use instead of Duron? Do you have the specs on Arctic 0w30?

Duron 0w-30 (from memory)

Vis @ 100C, 12 Cst
HT/HS of 3.5 Cp
PP of -60F
FP of +440F
TBN is approx 10.0

The 0w-30 is a PAO/Group III/Group II blend ....about 20% PAO to get the 0w-xx rating.

The Duron 5w-40:

vis @ 100C, 15.4 Cst
HT/HS of 4.2 Cp
Vi of 177
PP of -45F
FP of 451F
CCS @ -25C, 5500 Cp
TBN of 11.0 (ASTM D-2896)

Pumping @ -40C, 47,000 Cp (meets 0w-xx req)

I think the 5w-40 is the superior oil, FWIW ....

Ted

[ November 01, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Here is some of what is written on the back label of this oil:

-JASO (Japanese) valvetrain wear performance
-recommended for extreme conditions including competitive racing
-adheres to metal surfaces to eliminate dry starts
-made with superior low volatility synthetic base oils that help reduce oil consumption

and then the final line on the label says:

"The Ultimate Oil for the Ultimate Protection"

It sounds impressive, but then again, advertising jargon can do wonders. I didn't check to see if these same words all appear on their 5w30 and 10w30 synthetic too.

I found it especially interesting how they claimed this oil is good for competitive racing. You won't see too many "house brand" oils trying to make this claim.

Who knows, maybe this oil will surprise us all.
dunno.gif
I wish my mom drove as much now as she did when she wasn't retired (she used to drive her car over 500 miles per week, and I changed her oil every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 10w30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back