Walmart SuperTech oil source info... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys. I've got some info here...

Those of you who have speculated that Exxon/Mobil is making the Walmart Supertech oil in certain parts of the country are correct. If you're in VA, NC, SC, PA, NJ, NY, OH, and other surrounding states you're probably seeing the Exxon/Mobil produced oils. The larger bottle cap (like you see on Mobil's oils) should be the tip off.

Here is Warren Distribution's (Warren Performance Products) website: www.wd-wpp.com These folks used to handle pretty much all of Walmart's Supertech oils. And they still handle the synthetics and the blends in all areas, according to my source.

As far as the packaging:

Constar packages Supertech oil for Pennzoil/Quaker State and distributes it in the Texas and surrounding area Walmarts. That's right, Pennzoil/Quaker State is one of three suppliers for Walmart's Super Tech dino oils. As mentioned, Warren Performance Products makes all of the synthetic and synthetic blends.

If you see the letter "C" with a star inside it on the bottom of the container that's a Constar package. It is rare, but sometimes WPP does use Constar packaging when they run short on their own bottles. WPP bottles will have "WPP" on the bottom in most cases.

But the real way to identify a WPP produced Supertech oil is to look for a white rectangle on the front or back of the label. It could have the label code inside the white rectangle, or it could be blank. But either way, if you see a white rectangle on the front or rear label it's a WPP product.

As far as the Supertech synthetic blends... I'm informed that 18% of the blend is actual group 3 synthetic, with the remainder group 1. Apparently there are several synthetic blends on the market under various labels which are using this same group 1/group 3 blend. Not saying that's good or bad, but that seems to be the case.

So anyway, to recap: There are three manufacturers making Walmart Supertech dino oil these days--Pennzoil/QS, WPP, and Exxon Mobil. The Pennzoil stuff will always be in Constar ("C" with a star in it on the bottom) packaging. It's rare but possible that you'll find WPP made oil in Constar bottles, but look for the white rectangle on the front or the back of the bottle and that will tell you it's WPP made. The big bottle caps resembling Mobil oil's packaging, and distributed in the eastern US mean it's an Exxon Mobil produced oil.

By the way, the other Warren company, Warren Oil Company does produce power steering fluid for Walmart, but does not produce motor oils.

Hope this helps...
smile.gif

Dan

Now the 85 Cent question (price difference between 5 quarts of Mobil DC and Supertech).....Is the Supertech Exxon/Mobil same as the Mobil Drive Clean?

Eric

I called Walmart this morning, and after jumping through a few hoops and making a follow up call or two I got hold of the right individual. During our conversation I told him about this forum, and he gave me the info on the condition that I didn't reveal his name or company since he didn't want any grief from his superiors for sharing the info.

As far as whether the Exxon made Supertech oil is the same as the Drive Clean I can't say; my source was not an Exxon Mobil employee.

He did say that he was going to check out BITOG, so maybe he'll check in here in the next few days. I will say that he would be able to provide some valuable info, being an industry insider and all...

Dan

Yeah I wonder also how close the new big mouth bottled Supertech oil is to Mobil DC or Exxon Superflo?

I posted this before but in NH the Walmart standard issue price sign for Supertech motor oil has Exxon-Mobil shown in smaller letters across the bottom. Good enough for me especially for an oil burning or leaking
dunno.gif
Civic we own. It meets spec who cares who produces it for a 9 year old vehicle in my case.

Fuel Tanker Man - Nice job of running down all the leads.

My only remaining question is what is the Supertech blending/packaging source on the West Coast?

With all the refineries located in California, it is hard to believe that Gulf Coast base oil is bottled at Warren PP in Nebraska & trucked to LA & Frisco.

Blue,

Check the label and look for the white rectangle (with or without the label code inside it) on the front or back of the bottle. If it has the white rectangle, it's a WPP product. You might also find "WPP" on the bottom of the jug.

As mentioned, WPP presumably supplies all of the syn and syn blends for Wally, so nationwide distribution must not be considered a problem.

I suppose that Walmart simply grew too large for one supplier to continue providing all of their house blend of motor oil. That's just a guess. Anyway, as a rule of thumb (and taking my source at his word) you could pretty much divide the country into thirds with the West coast getting the WPP Supertech, the midwest getting Penn/QS, and the eastern US getting the Exxon Mobil produced stuff. This of course might vary from area to area...

I'm sure that all blends are good. It just seems that so far, most of the UOA's and VOA's here were done on the WPP produced oil, and most folks like what they see. Perhaps the other two blends of Supertech will soon garner their own reputations.

I can't help but think, though, that a major motor oil producer isn't going to sell their best oils and add packs to any competing label (especially a label as proliferate as the Supertech label which prominently fills the shelves of the world's largest retailer
shocked.gif
). This might continue to advantage the WPP produced oil, since Warren Performance Products would not be competing against its own product, if you see what I mean...

Dan

A couple of things to keep in mind...

Shell, owner of Pennzoil/Quaker State, also makes lower cost Wolf's Head oil, and maybe private label products other than Wal*Mart.

Wal*Mart buys in such big volume that any oil blender could make a custom blend for them. We don't know exactly what goes into each of these bottles, but Wally's past practice is to cut every cost corner possible while maintaining usually-adequate quality.

Ken

The mid-nineties Consumer Reports story on oils commented that Shell was a different product in different parts of the country so even the big boys sometimes play that game. That explains why the QS subsidiary was still on some of the spec. sheets-- they always kept two regional distributors-- now three.

Very interesting post.

Went to Wallyworld today.

Supertech was bottled in a WPP bottle. However, I didn't notice your white rectangle on either side. What would this oil be? Pennzoil/QS?

Thomas,

You've got me there. Possibly some old packaging. The white rectangle, remember, might have the label code printed inside it and it might not have. If you didn't overlook it, and it actually isn't there, I could only assume that's an older label.

Dan

Hmm, I think I might have been more tired than I thought. I was looking for a small rectangle with something, not the large one with the scanning code thing.

Actually it is a pretty small rectangle. It's not the UPC pricing (bar code) thing.

On a jug of the 10W30 high mileage syn blend I have the white rectangle is about 3/8" tall and about 3/4" wide (give or take a bit).

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
As far as the Supertech synthetic blends... I'm informed that 18% of the blend is actual group 3 synthetic, with the remainder group 1. Apparently there are several synthetic blends on the market under various labels which are using this same group 1/group 3 blend.

Dan

I'm curious to see which companies are using this 18% GroupIII / 82% Group I mix...

I don't know that answer to that, specifically anyway. The source for the info above indicated to me that it is not uncommon to find Group 1/Group 3 blends in those proportions.

I too would like to know which other oil (if any) are blended thus...

Dan

The Mobil made Supertech 5w-30 uses

Solvent Dewaxed 64742-65-0
Solvent Refined 64741-88-4

Vi @ 40c 62
Vi @ 100c 10.5
Pour point -38F

For me at least , there are other and better 5w-30 dino's these days using group II base oils only for buck a quart or a tad bit more .

There are also some very good primarily 64741-88 oils with group II blended in that have very heavy additive treat rates that I would prefer over this oil . JMO

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

There are also some very good primarily 64741-88 oils with group II blended in that have very heavy additive treat rates that I would prefer over this oil . JMO

But Motorbike , are you talking about the second version of Motorcraft 5w-30 that used Moly with > 60% Solvent Refined Heavy Paraffinic CAS 64741-88-4 ?

Nope , Motorbike is speaking of Mystik 5w-30 . Citgo UltraLife 10w-30 among others .
smile.gif

The add pack of the Motorcraft was kinda...weak
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back