Walmart selling opened jugs for disct rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Walmart (or at least the one i visit) has caught on to the SOPUS fuel rewards consequence. The containers(jugs) with missing caps are being sold for $17.97(syn)/$14.97(blnds)/$12.97(conv). Oddly enough, some Castrol and Mobil1 jugs were also opened but they have thier aluminum seal still attached. Those were sold at a discounted rate too. Because they were still sealed, i bought some Castrol. I feel for the folks who spend their hard earned coin, buying these oils for the Rewards, only to discover that the benefits were already used by a crook.

The key is to test the cap seal. For awhile there you could just look and see that the seal had been broken, and then I tested the cap on one jug that looked okay, and it wasn't. Turns out the thieves had screwed the cap back on tight, and it just LOOKED like the seal was unbroken.

So the technique is...check the bottling date...now that the promotion is over, you can't use the receipt, then you begin to unscrew the cap. It should free up for just a nanosecond, and then you begin to feel resistance...that is a sealed cap. The ones that have been screwed back on, just as it frees up it looses all resistance and begins to turn. That's an opened cap that has been screwed back on tightly.

This one almost caught me the other day, thought I had found another stash, one was missing its cap entirely, others had the snap ring broken, but in the back were what looked like unopened jugs. So I tested one, just put a little pressure on the cap and it just spun right off. Having removed the caps from the 20+ jugs in my garage, I know exactly what the resistance from an intact snap ring now feels like. S, I find that, and I know I've got a good cap and jug.

Have been focusing on PP lately, 10w-30. I have a shear problem, and the 10w-30 is holding up better than the QSUD 5w-30 I started with.

The promotion ended on June 30th, so hopefully this won't be too much of an issue anymore.

If I remember correctly from reading the fine print, the whole "code under the cap" ordeal will be totally defunct in December 2014.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
The promotion ended on June 30th, so hopefully this won't be too much of an issue anymore.

If I remember correctly from reading the fine print, the whole "code under the cap" ordeal will be totally defunct in December 2014.

Thats good news. This promotion helped out many people but a very few knuckle-heads ruined it for the rest.

I'm pretty sure I fell prey to one of these slugs/dirtbags a couple weeks ago. My PP 5w20 opened fairly easily despite the tamper band being intact. No foil seal was present. Oil was new.

*rant on: I really don't like walking into WM for any reason. The only reason I go is for the low priced oil in jugs. Rant off*

So next, crooks will open all caps, so there is plenty of stock of $ oil on the clearance rack. Human nature unfortunately... and wal-mart brings out lots of humans...

Originally Posted By: wemay

Thats good news. This promotion helped out many people but a very few knuckle-heads ruined it for the rest.
The codes were very convenient. I can't see any other option being good news for the honest folks.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So next, crooks will open all caps, so there is plenty of stock of $ oil on the clearance rack. Human nature unfortunately... and wal-mart brings out lots of humans...

Well put.

I go to Walmart but usually shop during the morning time when there are very few people and the Deli is bringing out freshly made food for the hot case.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but, it seems that W*M and its customers have such a bad reputation on BITOG. However, when it comes to the price of oil according to BITOGers, we all know that W*M is the place to go. Why all the bad rap? Just curious.

It's not "human nature" to steal...If it were, we would all be still be warring tribal monkeys living in caves. This is brainless Monkey/Mammal nature of getting something for nothing at the expense of your fellow primate...Like what happens on Election Day in a Democracy or like hitting a woman over the head with a club and dragging her off to your cave sorta stuff.

If you grab the ring and turn the cap back and forth at eye level, you can see if the ring has been broken. I was doing this in a Walmart right in front of a Walmart stock guy and he said "I already checked them all"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lex94
It's not "human nature" to steal...If it were, we would all be still be warring tribal monkeys living in caves. This is brainless Monkey/Mammal nature of getting something for nothing at the expense of your fellow primate...Like what happens on Election Day in a Democracy or like hitting a woman over the head with a club and dragging her off to your cave sorta stuff.

Of course it is human nature. Human nature is to do what you want, when you want, and whatever feels good. Ever observe toddlers? You think it's not their nature to take what they want from others? What IS different is our intelligence. We eventually understand cause/effect, rewards, and consequences. Theivery is not brainless. Rather, these theives know they are doing wrong and choose to do so because they believe the reward is greater to do so...both intrinsically and extrinsically.

Guess what happens? Lowlife buys cheap closeout oil for a few bucks and buys Pennzoil synthetic. Pennzoil does not even use foil seals. Use the synthetic oil, refill with elcheapo clearance oil and return to Walmart.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Not quite. You can't use receipts to activate fuel discounts, but you can still use caps. And there are plenty of caps still out there to be entered.

Tested this idea already, and it works just fine. I figure it will right on through the end of December.
cool.gif

Update after a 4 Walmart visit this morning.

Nearly all of the PU found had been opened. The new PPPP not so much. But the bottling dates were all reasonable, so I collected a little more anyway.

New clue for opened bottles, both Pennzoil and QSUD products have a stamp on the snap ring and cap. If they are lined up, the cap hasn't been opened. Turns out when people break the seal, and then screw the cap back on, the odds of it lining back up are small. Verified this by checking the lineup on about a dozen opened jugs, none of them were returned to the original lineup of that stamp. Looks like a nice easy way to determine if something has been opened. Couldn't find it on other brands, but QSUD and PU, PUP, PPPP, PP all had it. Only noticed it because I was doing a REAL close inspection of caps.

Bought one that was lined up, tested the integrity the old fashioned way I described above, bought it, brought it home, got the code, entered it, made sure I got credit for the purchase.

Stash on PU stands at 120 quarts so far.

Only on BITOG could there be detailed procedures for checking seals.
smile.gif

So in that vain, here's mine:

1. Grab oil off shelf.
2. Turn cap.
3. If it meets with resistance, stop. You've got a good one. Place in carriage.
4. If it comes off, put it on and put it back on the shelf. Repeat 1-4.

I also check oil filters this way:
1. Grab filter off shelf.
2. Open box.
3. Examine filter number. If it matches box, go to step 4. If not, repeat 1-3
4. Examine filter bottom - gasket. If it looks good, place in carriage.

I had to see this for myself. I went to a local Walmart, south of the metro Minneapolis area today. Sure enough, the first 2 jugs of Ultra were opened. No tin seals, and very easily unscrewed. The 3rd jug was still sealed.

I cared not to try any more jugs. I just am astounded by the lack of morality.

Isn't what we are experiencing in today's society, examples of what ultimately lead to the downfall of the Roman Empire ?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Walmart (or at least the one i visit) has caught on to the SOPUS fuel rewards consequence. The containers(jugs) with missing caps are being sold for $17.97(syn)/$14.97(blnds)/$12.97(conv). Oddly enough, some Castrol and Mobil1 jugs were also opened but they have thier aluminum seal still attached. Those were sold at a discounted rate too. Because they were still sealed, i bought some Castrol. I feel for the folks who spend their hard earned coin, buying these oils for the Rewards, only to discover that the benefits were already used by a crook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back