walmart sales receipts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a question for you guys about keeping receipts to provide proof of oil changes. I buy mobil one and ford oil filters at walmart at every oil change then write the date and mileage and what vehicle it is for then keep in glove box.The walmart receipt just lists motor oil and oil filter no brand or viscosity. Have a new ford product and use other than the recommended oil. Would this satisify the almighty fomoco. thanks.

One time I asked the service manager at the local ford dealership about proof in regards to maintaince performed (i.e. oil changes) and warranty effect, he told me that in most cases it will be fairly obvious whether or not the vehicle has had timely oil changes and that he had never seen an engine warranty claim denied based upon lack of reciepts in regards to oil changes.

I just keep a bunch of receipts in a plastic zip bag and keep a record of the changes. If they want to see receipts-that's up to them. I and no-one else can tell which bottle of oil went into which vehicle at what time.

Additional confirmation, from Mustang, that denial of warranty coverage over choice of oil is unlikely.

so what you guys are saying is don't worry about what ford says use what you want as far as oil is concerned. If you have a internal problem with your engine as long as it appears that you did regular maintenance you should be alright.

If your walmart receipts are like mine, they also list the bar code number for the item. This can identify the exact product you purchased as even within the same brand, 5w20 has a different bar code than 5w30, etc.

Ford or any other manufacturer can not deny warranty solely based on the use of a particular product such as oil brand or filter. This is part of the Fair Trade Act of 1984 by Magnuson and Moss. It applies to any consumer product sold in the US, whether a US car company or one from Europe, Japan, etc.

However, warranty can be denied if the use of that product leads to the direct failure caused, ie if you use a 20W50 oil in Chicago in the dead of winter and cause upper engine wear due to lack of lubrication on startup and the mfg recommended to use a 5W30 for example, if I was the service manager and could document this, I would deny warranty.

Whether it was brand X or Y, and it is of the correct type (gasoline / diesel version) and the correct grade and it has documentation that it meets the appropriate API License (www.api.org will show you all the licenses for oils world wide), you can not be denied warranty "solely" on the use of a particular brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back