Walmart Pulling Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been to the sporting goods counter in Walmart for a few weeks but last time I was there guns and ammo were both on the sales floor. Since I have plenty of ammo I didn't look to see what all they had at the time but, I suspect mostly hunting ammo and little or no handgun calibers. As has been said civil unrest, Walmart doesn't want the ATF breathing down their back because they can't account for one of their guns if someone smashes a case and takes one.

Really? Haven’t heard that but leave it to our state to do that though. The Walmart’s here in Roanoke still have all the guns and everything it just takes awhile to sell because the background checks are backed up right now.
You live in Roanoke? The Clearbrook Walmart is the one I’m talking about.
I’m a Rocky Mount guy.

You live in Roanoke? The Clearbrook Walmart is the one I’m talking about.
I’m a Rocky Mount guy.
Yep that’s the one I’m talking about I know the Valley View one does that’s not surprising I haven’t noticed at the Clearbrook one doing that though.

I don't know how ammo is sold per se, but I do remember as a kid in 70s, we had a local drug store that actually had a pretty decent sporting goods section. Stuff like baseball gloves, baseball bats, fishing gear, and even ammo. I think the handgun and rifle ammo was locked up behind glass, but I remember seeing shotgun shells on regular shelves where you'd just check out. I'm not that familiar with it, but I think it was bird shot.

But yeah - it's pretty clear that Walmart is worried about the possibility of people doing smash and grabs with ammo and possibly the long guns they're selling. I haven't seen any ammo sold at any Walmart around here for at least 15 years.

I don't know how ammo is sold per se, but I do remember as a kid in 70s, we had a local drug store that actually had a pretty decent sporting goods section. Stuff like baseball gloves, baseball bats, fishing gear, and even ammo. I think the handgun and rifle ammo was locked up behind glass, but I remember seeing shotgun shells on regular shelves where you'd just check out. I'm not that familiar with it, but I think it was bird shot.

But yeah - it's pretty clear that Walmart is worried about the possibility of people doing smash and grabs with ammo and possibly the long guns they're selling. I haven't seen any ammo sold at any Walmart around here for at least 15 years.
I can see why they would be scared. When I was a kid I remember being in Walmart and them having to get the police because this guy got angry he couldn’t return ammo.

Well. Years ago (90s maybe) I was at the sporting goods section of a Kmart looking for something and waiting for help. There was a group disappointed that they ran out of 9mm ammo. New Year's Eve was coming up and they were openly talking about shooting into the air. I think it was at a time when anyone buying ammo wasn't background checked, but they did require ID, minimum age, and wrote down the buyer's info on a sheet. At least that's what friend told me was the procedure for buying ammo.
That’s scary. Here in Virginia you don’t need a background check to buy ammo just an photo ID with your age it’s 18 for shotgun and rifle ammo and 21 for handguns and you have to fill out a paper and everything

That’s scary. Here in Virginia you don’t need a background check to buy ammo just an photo ID with your age it’s 18 for shotgun and rifle ammo and 21 for handguns and you have to fill out a paper and everything
Well. I think it was basically 18 and ID for anything back then. I'm not sure what they consider rifle or handgun ammo. I believe they overlap. Aren't there a lot of 9mm rifles just because they're cheaper to use? And obviously .22LR is the most common handgun and rifle ammo.

These days it requires a background check through the state's database of ineligible people, and may not be instant. My understanding is that it's a $1 fee for one purchase although someone can get a license that doesn't require a check every time.

My son works for Pepsi and in his Walmart they are pulling all the guns off the shelves and locking them up in the back.

Do they know something we don't know?
They are still available at the store, even though they are out of sight. You now have to ask an associate for assistance of ammo or firearms. Doesn't make sense but that is what I heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back