Walmart oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

q12

I’ve noticed that Wal-Mart brand synthetic oil is several dollars less than other 5-quart container brands of oil. What does that say if anything about the quality of their oil?

Originally Posted By: q12
I’ve noticed that Wal-Mart brand synthetic oil is several dollars less than other 5-quart container brands of oil. What does that say if anything about the quality of their oil?

Your gonna get,,,---you get what you paid for --,,,but overall with the namebrand stuff,,---your paying for the name-- ,,,so try it yourself and go from there

It has the API Starburst, SN/Resource Conserving GF-5. It is a good oil.

The only difference is the additive package, which changes from brand to brand. If that additive package worth the $5 difference? Depends on who you ask.

I'd imagine the difference is probably negligible between two engines running Supertech vs. another Synthetic brand over the lifetime of the engine.

Just keep those OCIs going, and there should be no sweat!

SuperTech is now made by someone other than Warren,so no telling what its like now.Time for a VOA from someone on the NEW ST oils...

I don't think Walmart sells junk with their store brands but.

It's just my opinion but if you only have 1 or 2 cars and you only do a few oil changes a year, a couple bucks difference in savings per jug is really no big deal.

Last edited:
You know what to expect with M1, PP, PU, or other top oils and they'll be around a while. For critical things, knowing the quality of the product is a big deal to me. If you're the type to change oil often just because, it would be worth saving the money. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

I run their SuperTech HM in my Jeep which is my DD. I have no complaints about it. IMO it's been the smoothest running oil that I've tryed. It stopped my rear main leak too.

You can catch "Mag 1" syn on sale on amazon for as cheap as or cheaper than the walmart stuff.

If it's still made by warren, Mag 1 is rumored to be slightly better additive wise. (Enough to claim to be different, but not enough to matter.) If WM dumped warren for their syn line, the Mag 1 will have been proven over several years.

I bought full syn there several years ago and it seemed to be thin and clear compared to Mobil 1. went back to my regular brand after 3000 miles. I just didn't feel comfortable looking at it after that.

No problems with the ST OIL which here in the Northeast U.S.A. is still WPP/WNE(checked this morning at 3 wal marts). Dont listen to the bashing of this oil either. I put well over 200k on ST oil in a Pontiac, Chevy, 2 Hondas, currently also a 91' chevy truck with v-8. It has to pass the api certs also or it wouldnt get the starburst/donut on the quart bottles/jugs.

I have used their ST stuff quite a bit and couldn't tell any difference from other brands.I'd definitely use Super Tech fluids.

Ive been running ST dino in my max for 4 years at 11K/year and have NO complaints. I Would have utmost confidence in ST syn.

It's always fun to hate on Walmart's house brand oil, and I've done so a few times myself.
The reality is that this oil is as good as anything else, and there are some UOAs in that forum to back this up.
One of the mods ran ST conventional in his old minivan for 10K and had an excellent UOA to show for it.
Nothing wrong with SuperT.
I've even used some myself, although SOPUS oils like PP, Ultra and QSUD are usually cheaper with one of the frequent MIR offers.

What is Warren?

Warren is the company that has been making most of Walmart's Super Tech oils. They are a known maker of good quality oil, and they also produce other brands such as Accel, Mag 1, Peak, and some other store brands. Warren products can be identified by looking for "WPP" on the bottom of the bottle.

However, at least some Super Tech has been switched to a Citgo made product. These can be identified by "LEE" on the bottom of the bottle.

I've been using a mix of 10W-40 and 30 ST (Warren) dino on my current OCI and no problem. It lowered my oil consumption from 1qt per 1k miles to 1/3 qt. I'm also going to try Mag1 5W-40 syn for my next OC since I have confidence on Warren products.

Although now at my local Walmart, the ST bottles show "G" underneath instead of "WPP", which was Warren Perf Poducts. I don't know if Warren still supplies ST for my local WMT, or someone else. But, if you look at most bottles of other national brands, you will find "G" stamped on the bottom. My guess is that WPP may have contracted another bottling company - hopefully.

Last edited:
warren distribution is a blender and distributor. same type of company as ashland, the company that blends and distributes for valvoline, and regionally for the gtx line of castrol.

Is Warren a refinery or something else?

http://www.wd-wpp.com/

Click on the link to Accel and then PCMO or Full Synth links. I think Accel is equivalent to Walmart's Supertech supplied by WPP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back