Walmart Oil Choice Emergency

I think some of us believed there might be something more to the EP oil than just longer OCI...

when comparing the two on Mobil's site and I do understand their comparisons to each other may be pure marketing but it seems the EP is better than the regular M1 with high engine and turbocharger protection temperatures beyond oil breakdown and the longer OCI...

the two Cadillac dealerships I talked to both recommended the M1 EP over regular M1 when they were paying for the oil and filter (recommended the AC Delco UPF-63R filter) which was why I asked in an earlier thread...my experience over the years had been that dealerships pay the minimum for whatever they are on the hook for paying when given a choice...possibly also why the dealership I bought my car from pre owned (Buick/GMC) used AC Delco full synthetic rather than the M1 EP...they did however use the UPF-63R filter...

anyway...with the current Mobil rebate and Walmart pricing, the M1 and M1 EP 5W-30 are identical in cost so I went with the M1 EP as I have twin turbochargers as well as thinking on two Cadillac dealerships service recommendation...all 3 oils mentioned meet or exceed the Dexos 1 Gen2 (and now Gen3) recommendation and I still have an extended warranty...

Bill

Last edited:
I agree, but when I made that statement, I thought of GDI/T-GDI/small sump.
I was wondering why you said that, because I just finished a 10,000 mile interval using Mobil1 EP 0W20 and the results were fantastic. But yeah, I agree...if my engine was direct injected/turbo/little four cylinder? I’d have to take a real leap of faith that piston rings, direct injection and turbo oil temps have come a long way in improvements in the past five years. And I’m not confident they have. I still remember the early model direct injection Audi A4’s sounding like cement mixers and burning through a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (or less).

But here’s my analysis at 10,000 miles on the EP.

EP. Especially if it’s going into a Toyota MZ-series V6, Prius(IMO, Prii tend to be a bit harder on oil than their Scion/Corolla siblings, must be looser rings) or Uber/Lyft service. A little PAO improves it.

Nothing wrong with GTL base though.

I think some of us believed there might be something more to the EP oil than just longer OCI...

when comparing the two on Mobil's site and I do understand their comparisons to each other may be pure marketing but it seems the EP is better than the regular M1 with high engine and turbocharger protection temperatures beyond oil breakdown and the longer OCI...

the two Cadillac dealerships I talked to both recommended the M1 EP over regular M1 when they were paying for the oil and filter (recommended the AC Delco UPF-63R filter) which was why I asked in an earlier thread...my experience over the years had been that dealerships pay the minimum for whatever they are on the hook for paying when given a choice...possibly also why the dealership I bought my car from pre owned (Buick/GMC) used AC Delco full synthetic rather than the M1 EP...they did however use the UPF-63R filter...

anyway...with the current Mobil rebate and Walmart pricing, the M1 and M1 EP 5W-30 are identical in cost so I went with the M1 EP as I have twin turbochargers as well as thinking on two Cadillac dealerships service recommendation...all 3 oils mentioned meet or exceed the Dexos 1 Gen2 (and now Gen3) recommendation and I still have an extended warranty...

Bill
M1 probably met dex1.3 for a while. GM didn't release licensing for dex 1.3 until this year.

Agreed EP is all around better. They moved M1 Adv FS down in price and went to a less expensive group III to be more competitive with the hoard of full synthetics undercutting them on price. I felt like the EP was the winky winky nod, that they preserved the best formulation for this product and you can have it for a few more bucks (typically).

If it’s an emergency, buy the cheapest one and sleep well. Neither will hurt whichever you choose. I’m running M1 5W30 EP for what’s it worth.
Just put Mobil 1 EP HM 5w-30 in my truck this morning. It still started and got me to the store! Good stuff! Only put about 6 or 7000 miles on my truck a year so I will change it annually. Oh yeah....used the M1 filter for good luck.

Back