Walmart Oil Choice Emergency

I was one that asked about which of those two might be better as I thought there might be something better about Mobil 1 EP than just good for 20K instead of 10K...it gets a higher rating for turbocharged vehicles from Mobil but I have no idea what makes it better for them...

when I made my choice for Mobil 1 EP I looked at with the rebate they are the same price at Walmart so I went EP as I have never read where it is worse to use than regular Mobil 1...

Bill

I was one that asked about which of those two might be better as I thought there might be something better about Mobil 1 EP than just good for 20K instead of 10K...it gets a higher rating for turbocharged vehicles from Mobil but I have no idea what makes it better for them...

when I made my choice for Mobil 1 EP I looked at with the rebate they are the same price at Walmart so I went EP as I have never read where it is worse to use than regular Mobil 1...

Bill
Maybe a higher tbn (does that make an oil better at taking more miles between changes?).

OCI will dictate which to buy. If doing 10K or less, get the regular. I'm using the regular Mobil 1 in my wife's Tucson, but OCI is going to be 4K.

That being said, I think it's only a $2 difference, and the rebate is higher on the EP, so may be the same in the long run? See the Mobil rebate thread in the deals and promotions.

Last edited:
I cant make up my mind. which to buy.

Both SP, but the advanced FS is new triple action label withe dex gen3 cert

The Ep is Sp also, but its the older bottle with dex gen2.

im not going say what car or application. just which is better? your opinions, ill buy whichever the thread leans toward.
The one on the left is the old formulation, last updated in 2019. Yes, it's API SP, but these oils were ahead of their time anyway. The one on the right was updated around May this year. They cut down on ZDDP slightly, and made some other changes that don't really matter to us mere mortals. As no one should run either of these for 10K miles in most engines, let alone 20K miles, go with either. It won't make any difference. If the marketing psychology works on you, then go with the "Extended Performance" as it's "better."

It's too bad you won't state the application because the answer to your question may depend on your service interval.

The one on the left is the old formulation, last updated in 2019. Yes, it's API SP, but these oils were ahead of their time anyway. The one on the right was updated around May this year. They cut down on ZDDP slightly, and made some other changes that don't really matter to us mere mortals. As no one should run either of these for 10K miles in most engines, let alone 20K miles, go with either. It won't make any difference. If the marketing psychology works on you, then go with the "Extended Performance" as it's "better."
Why shouldn’t you run either of these for 10k miles?

The word emergency doesn’t apply in this situation. When you wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of running water and your feet get wet after getting out of the bed, that’s a emergency.

Picking between two oils is your choice. The most common scenario these days is to walk into a store to get your oil of choice only to discover it’s not available. Again, you must make a choice.

The last time I had an emergency like this it took a lot of therapy. I'm still trying to pick up the pieces and move on 😟
Imagine draining the oil after ~50 miles because you choose wrong! 🤯

Feel free to try.
I do that all the time on my old ECHO. It's dependent on the engine and driving conditions, despite ExxonMobil's guarantee that wouldn't have been appropriate for my old Sienna with the 1MZ-FE, but the 1NZ-FE in the ECHO is a completely different engine. I posted pictures of the engine with about 300,000 miles and it looks very good under the valve cover.

Edit, sorry it was 280,000 miles:

I do that all the time on my old ECHO. It's dependent on the engine and driving conditions, despite ExxonMobil's guarantee that wouldn't have been appropriate for my old Sienna with the 1MZ-FE, but the 1NZ-FE in the ECHO is a completely different engine. I posted pictures of the engine with about 300,000 miles and it looks very good under the valve cover.
I agree, but when I made that statement, I thought of GDI/T-GDI/small sump.

The word emergency doesn’t apply in this situation. When you wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of running water and your feet get wet after getting out of the bed, that’s a emergency.

Picking between two oils is your choice. The most common scenario these days is to walk into a store to get your oil of choice only to discover it’s not available. Again, you must make a choice.
LOL my choice is to have a stash I never have this problem.

Back