Walmart Oil Changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only time I take my cars to a dealership for an oil change is when they offer a cheap deal on one, or they give me a coupon for one. I've used Wal-Mart many times over the years, and never had an issue. Prices are very good, as well.

Originally Posted by AmoryBlaine
The best thing about wal mart auto service is that they don't try to upsell. They only do what you ask them to do. Imagine that!

Their up sell to most oil change customers is in the plastic bag(s) they leave with from the 50,000 sq. ft. "upsell area" attached to the oil change shop. Keep in mind BITOG members are not their target audience.

Paul Harvey's "rest of the story" answer for this thread and reason for $21 oil changes at Wal-mart. Number one rule in retail, get them in the door. It might actually be location, location, location...but you get the point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KevD47
Originally Posted by AmoryBlaine
The best thing about wal mart auto service is that they don't try to upsell. They only do what you ask them to do. Imagine that!

Their up sell to most oil change customers is in the plastic bag(s) they leave with from the 50,000 sq. ft. "upsell area" attached to the oil change shop. Keep in mind BITOG members are not their target audience.

That's a great point, they always manage to get you in the store while you're waiting.

Counting WM we have 3 quick changes … one of them cost me my LT rear end and right around then BiL picked up his Suburban at WM only to realize they drained, never filled, but parked in pickup area …
(old filter being only oil) …

So, made me into a DIY oil changer when I can easily afford getting it done … No regrets avoiding them now …

Originally Posted by Randy_R
My Mazda dealer uses bulk oil supplied by Total. Total supplies all the Mazda dealers in the USA. Do you suppose they formulate their product to Mazda specs?

Negative. The Mazda 0W20 bottled oil is from Idemitsu. As a dealer we can order it is 55gal drums or we can use the Mazda Castrol program and get the Castrol Edge Professional OE. The dealer using Total is their own deal.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
My Mazda dealer uses bulk oil supplied by Total. Total supplies all the Mazda dealers in the USA. Do you suppose they formulate their product to Mazda specs?

Negative. The Mazda 0W20 bottled oil is from Idemitsu. As a dealer we can order it is 55gal drums or we can use the Mazda Castrol program and get the Castrol Edge Professional OE. The dealer using Total is their own deal.

Yep. The dealer can use whatever oil they get a good deal on that meets the specs required. The actual Mazda oil is made by Idemitsu.

Total has the contract for Mazda in Europe.

I like how they check the oil level first and do a quick inspection. They also use a Fram-pro filter which I like.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Has anyone used their headlight restoration service @ 30$ per vehicle? Website says it's a "new" service.

I haven't used it but talked to someone on here that works there and they said this about it. I also included some info on their fuel system cleaning service fyi.

Originally Posted by 123abc
The headlight polish is a kit we get from 3M. We actually grind the headlights down with sand paper and then with polish. This is essentially the kit we use, except it comes in a different package. LINK

The Fuel cleaning service is a package we get from Valvoline. It contains a gasoline additive that is poured into the gas tank. Then the second part is a nozzle that is inserted into the intake and connected to a aerosol can that sprays. The fuel injector cleaner in my opinion it can be great. I have seen some cars really benefit from it, others I don't think it did jack. Some people I work with will rev the [censored] out of your engine when doing the cleaning, which I cannot stand. So be cautious with that, end up doing more harm than good.
LINK to the aerosol
And here's the gas additive.
[Linked Image]

full-73794-26475-headlight_restore.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in about Mazda oil. I'm aware Idemitsu supplies Mazda. They make two different types of 0W20. I read about Total supplying Mazda dealers. When I got my oil changed I was told it was Total. I'll ask again next oil change.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Has anyone used their headlight restoration service @ 30$ per vehicle? Website says it's a "new" service.

I haven't used it but talked to someone on here that works there and they said this about it. I also included some info on their fuel system cleaning service fyi.

Thanks for sharing. I was curious about the fuel injection service as well.

Thanks for chiming in about Mazda oil. I'm aware Idemitsu supplies Mazda. They make two different types of 0W20. I read about Total supplying Mazda dealers. When I got my oil changed I was told it was Total. I'll ask again next oil change.

The contracts vary by region. The one thing is you have to request it or otherwise you get jobber oil like Preferred Choice or whatever the dealer can get cheap. Synthetic oil changes may get you Castrol or Total or whatever. Most dealers don't even carry the Mazda oil.

The best way to know what's going in your sump is to do it yourself. The second best is to bring your own oil and ask for the empty jug.

The only thing about walmart, is that it seems there is often a long line and long wait to get service done.

If I take my car to a big chain oil change type shop, they try to upsell me on 5 things every time.

It's not that I can't say no its just annoying.

There is a local drive thru oil change joint here in San Antonio that does a nice job. They use Pennzoil products, and change the oil in about ten minutes. The guys are knowledgeable, and never sell me anything extra. They also sell all kinds of Amsoil products if you are into that kind of thing.

I had them change the coolant in the sonata, the used a pressure bleed device and did a great job for $50.

Originally Posted by JustinH
The only thing about walmart, is that it seems there is often a long line and long wait to get service done.

I go first thing in the morning since they open early. Always seems to work to avoid any lines. They open at 7am Mon-Sat and 8 am on Sunday.

Quicky lube places are always a roll of the dice. You may have good experience for years, but it only takes one distracted or inept "technician" to cause a huge problem. I've known many people over the years who use quick lube places, and every one of their vehicles eventually had a serious or potentially serious issue caused by the business... stripped plug threads, loose and leaking filter, filter not changed, grossly overfilled crankcase, oil cap left off, etc etc...
Yes the lube business will probably fix any problem that they caused, but you will still have a massive headache and loss of time/energy.
I guess it comes down to one's willingness to roll the dice... how lucky do you feel? I'm very happy for the OP not having any issues at WalMart oil change... yet.

I've seen just as many (if not more) threads complaining about Dealer oil changes. You "roll the dice" pretty much anywhere you take your vehicle for service.

Hard to beat the works package at the ford dealer near me. MC oil, MC filter, tire rotation and inspection for $39.95. Especially with the freezing temps right now.

fwiw, the local dealer I use is pretty solid and haven't had any issues. Its nice, I can drop it off before work and they'll take me to work and bring me back to my vehicle for free.
Spring/summer = me
winter (or when I don't have the time) = dealer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back