Walmart oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,my mom's 04 Camry is due for and oil change in 1400 miles and I was planning on taking it to Walmart to get a synthetic oil change. The prices that I saw listed at our Walmart were $34 for oil change plus "inspection" or $31 for an oil change. How many here would trust that they will put the oil that you paid for in your car and if you bring your own filter that they will use that instead of the Fram? Seeing that the dealer charges $24 for a dino oil change I thought that it would be better to use synthetic for ten dollars more. Also, do they let you choose from the wide variety that they have or do they have one that they have to put in? I was thinking either Mobil 1 5w-30 or Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. Maybe you can make a suggestion with your reply between the two, if not another oil that they usually stock. Thanks.

I don't. Last time I was there, they left my filler cap crossed threaded, and my dip stick was 2-3 inch from being fully inserted.
mad.gif

Yup, they let you choose the brand to put in. Since changing oil isn't rocket science, wallyworld is ok if you dont want to do it yourself. The ST syn is ok and you cant beat the price.

They will put in what you want if you can communicate to the right person. Just have them pick the oil off of the shelf it's cheaper that way.

Personally I wouldn't trust anybody to change my oil, but they shouldn't be much worse then the dealer.

It's my mom's car so I have no say on if I can change the oil because she feels that I'm endangering myself just my changing my car's oil so she doesn't want me under her car. And I barely have enough time to do my oil change so I don't want to mess with her car and screw up, after all we want to keep all records for this car just in case something like the previous gen happens where there are sludged engines even though it will be unlikely.

DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT let walmart change your oil. I have seen them not put the oil cap back on. not put the sip stick back in. and on many occations forget to put the drain plug back in. this is your car if you let wal-mart change the oil
crushedcar.gif
any questions.

Wal mart is good for mounting tires but for some reason nation wide they cant get chaging oil down pat.

hey if your mom doesnt listen to you and wal mart screws her car up. yo ucan alsways say told yo uso or like nelson on the simpsons HA HA

quote:

Originally posted by asiancivicmaniac:
...she feels that I'm endangering myself just my changing my car's oil so she doesn't want me under her car.

Weren't you the one overshot the ramps with a Civic?
grin.gif

Actually then she'll be on my case. I'm her "service advisor" lol, make sure keeps up with maintance and keep her from being scammed by the dealer such as the last oil change when they offered a $200 package to replace the air filter at 15k (Toyota calls for 30k), put in fuel system treatment, rotate tires, and inspect the car. If she would have went by herself she would have been clueless and took the bait.

On the other hand I hope there is a definitive like or dislike about Walmart oil changes so I can make a decision.

quote:

Originally posted by Jonny Z:

quote:

...she feels that I'm endangering myself just my changing my car's oil so she doesn't want me under her car.

Weren't you the one overshot the ramps with a Civic?
grin.gif

grin.gif
Yup that's me. As the saying goes you learn from your mistakes, and if the average male life expectantcy is 70 years old then I have 52 years of learning ahead of me.

Get the $31 service without inspection and they'll probably substitute a store brand supertech filter. Might even credit you.
smile.gif

I think the 04 camry is off the "sludge list" but I'd still use a high quality oil. ST full synth is pretty good and the M1 from the 5 qt jug even better.
cheers.gif

Think of it this way, neither walmart nor jiffy lube makes money off the oil changes: it's the add-ons.

Jiffy Lube will overcharge you for new air filters, fuel injection cleaning, etc.

Walmart will let you shop in their lousy store for an hour while your car waits in the queue. They are really into not being sued since they have very deep pockets and will probably put the car back together properly.

Two ways to make a buck. I'd take a wander through electronics everyday over reading Jiffy Lubes lousy magazines.

Wal-mart bought my sister-in-law an engine for her Saab 9-3 a little over a year ago when the oil plug fell out while she was 800+ miles from home moving from Maine to TX. To their credit, they did make it right, but I'll not let them change my oil, thank you.

Do you think it will make a difference if I tell them that I will be watching and ask for the empty containers and old filter just to look anal and a-hole-ish? Either that or back to the dealer for dino.

Also to the poster above, was it hard for your sister to get Walmart to make it right?

quote:

Do you think it will make a difference if I tell them that I will be watching and ask for the empty containers and old filter just to look anal and a-hole-ish?

Yes! You will **** em off and then they will purposely mess up the car!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dark Jedi:
DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT let walmart change your oil. I have seen them not put the oil cap back on. not put the sip stick back in. and on many occations forget to put the drain plug back in. this is your car if you let wal-mart change the oil
crushedcar.gif
any questions.

Wal mart is good for mounting tires but for some reason nation wide they cant get chaging oil down pat.

hey if your mom doesnt listen to you and wal mart screws her car up. yo ucan alsways say told yo uso or like nelson on the simpsons HA HA

Sounds like one reason why my wife caught me.

She'd try to get me to change her oil, but I wouldn't, so shed go to quicklube and they forgot to put OIL in the engine.
crushedcar.gif

After that, I started changing her oil.

Then about a year later, she needed repairs.

I told her to not get her friend to do it because he was a squril, and I didn't have the right tool for the ford she owned, and advised her to take it to a mechanic or the dealer, because if the special tool... she opted out for her friend that promised upside down he could do it... and after finding half his toolbox down the driveway, down the street, under her hood and he still didnt fix the right part, and she broke down again... she put that baby in my lap, and the rest is history :)

all I canq tell you is if yo ulet wal mart change the oil. after they are finished. I would have a socket wrench handy and check the drain plug to make sure they tighten it and check the oil level. then check and make sure they put the oil cap on tight too. never trust these NUBs (air force FLIGHT Line term NOTHER USELESS BODY) to do anything right.

quote:

Do you think it will make a difference if I tell them that I will be watching and ask for the empty containers and old filter just to look anal and a-hole-ish? Either that or back to the dealer for dino.

Also to the poster above, was it hard for your sister to get Walmart to make it right?

It was my sister in law, and other than the huge PITA factor about having to go from TX to VA (where the car died)and back twice (once for their belongings, second time for the car), wal-mart didn't fight them at all.. they even paid them on a mileage basis for both trips and flew her from VA to TX the first time.

Buy the synthetic oil at Wal Mart, the filter somewhere else and go to a service station or shop and get them to do it for you.

Last time I had my oil changed at Wally World they let it 1/2 qt. low. Raised **** and the "service manager" told me that it was Ok, just be sure to check it every 1k miles and top off when needed!

I only take my cars' to the local Ford/Mercury dealer now. I buy M1 (oil and filter) when it's on sale and the dealer charges $15 to do the change and check the car over.

The extra is worth the piece of mind IMO.

Keep in mind that the kids that change oil at Wal Mart don't give a **** if they screw up your car because they're entry level and they can get another job at a burger doodle the next day. Is this what YOU want working on YOUR car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back