Walmart now has Zerex European coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac

I admit I'm not as familiar with Euro coolants because I don't have a vehicle application specing it. But when I have question about the spec I go to the Pentosin site for reference. Looks like their Pentofrost NF is what they recommend all MB

Pentofrost NF is not approved by Mercedes.

Pentofrost NF is not approved by Mercedes.
Then it would seem someone needs to address that with Pentosin for false advertising.

How is it false? (According to you), Pentosin recommend, they didn't claim an approval.

Using the SDS for Zerex G48 on Napa appears it uses 2eha as inhibitor.

https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/2447087pdf?$PDF$

Pentosin NF doesn't list 2eha on it's SDS. http://www.pentosin.net/msds/Pentofrost NF - NA.PDF

And it's PDS appears to confirm that with sealings reference.

Pentofrost NF PDS

Be interesting to know if topic AF uses 2eha.

Pentofrost NF is basically a G11 coolant ( VW TL-774-C )

G11 and G48 are very similar, they are both blue and have Silicate, the only difference i've been able to make out between them is that G11 uses Silicate + Sodium Benzoate as the organic acid + Borate

Meanwhile most G48 formulations use Silicate + Sebacic acid but no borates? G48 also sometimes includes 2-Eha, and to make it even more confusing i have seen some G11 coolants with 2-Eha? most G11 coolants don't however, whereas most but not all G48 coolants do.

I have seem some coolant manufacturers suggest they can be used interchangeably too? it's very confusing

….Pentofrost NF is basically a G11 coolant ( VW TL-774-C )
Like G48 not that familiar with G11. However if Pentofrost NF information accurate it appears they are more comfortable recommending a non 2eha AF across multiple Euro makes. I suppose one can draw their own conclusions as to why. Afaik, G-05 also does not use 2eha as inhibitor.

Though I have no personal use I'd be curious to know if topic AF uses 2eha.

….Pentofrost NF is basically a G11 coolant ( VW TL-774-C )
Like G48 not that familiar with G11. However if Pentofrost NF information accurate it appears they are more comfortable recommending a non 2eha AF across multiple Euro makes. I suppose one can draw their own conclusions as to why. Afaik, G-05 also does not use 2eha as inhibitor.

Though I have no personal use I'd be curious to know if topic AF uses 2eha.

It most likely does, but it depends on the brand, some include it in their formulation while others do not.

I was going to make a post asking what the difference is between Zerex G48 and Valvoline Euro Coolant available at Walmart. I looked at the back of the bottle and it says "for vehicles requiring genuine G48 fluid." It also lists Mercedes' 325.0 spec on the back.

Here's the link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-European-Antifr/171312031

I'm needing to change the fluid on my '82 BMW E23 and it's readily available so I may pick it up from WM now that I know it's basically the same stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back