walmart motorcraft 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I have been using motorcraft 10w30 in 4.6 ford since last spring, I was buying the oil from the local autozone, well I switched to 5w-30 motorcraft from walmart at 2.08 a quart. the price is lower. Do you think that walmart oil is the same oil as the oil from autozone or a ford dealership considering the lower price?

after using motorcraft oil for 9 months I came to the conclusion it's better in my car than mobil drive clean and penzoil dino, start ups are quieter with the motorcraft oil. it also burns less oil, engine has 190,000 miles on it.
But after the oil change last week and switching to walmart 5w-30 it doesn't seem as quiet on cold start up as the old motorcraft 10w30

all of this oil is the syn blend, no old stock

Yes, your Walmart Motorcraft is the same oil (Conoco-Phillips) as your Ford dealer sells, as well as the Dollar Tree's Trop-Arctic, Big Lots Kendall GT-1, and a few others.

I think out west, Walmart also sells Trop-Arctic. Must be nice to step ten feet down the aisle, pick up the same product as the Motorcraft, and save ~.50/qt.

BTW: I just picked up 27qts of Kendall GT-1 10w30 for summer duty in my Ranger. Hope it's as good as people around here say it is...

hhhhmmmmmm I thougth motorcraft blend was slightly different oil than Top Arctic?

but for 2.08 the price isn't bad for the motorcraft oil

[ January 23, 2006, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: MillerMan ]

A lot of people on this site say Motorcraft is a very good oil. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I know I will eventually. I've been itching for years to try Kendall, but so far doesn't exist in this part of CA. Another thing I find fascinating on this site, is the way people describe the effect different oils have on the sound of their motor.

hhhhmmmmmm I thougth motorcraft blend was slightly different oil than Top Arctic?

From what I've read here...

At Best: They're all the same oil, poured from the same spigot into different bottles.

At Worst: They are very close cousins, with slight differences that occur between brands and according to different processing dates.

Since you just changed the oil last week, pour in a 1/2 quart of hd30 to quiet down cold start-ups a little. Next OC substitute 1 quart of hd 30 for the 5w-30.

put straight weight 30 with my 5w30 up here in the cold north in winter?

i would say the noise is piston slap

Yeah, that "add straight 30w" idea seems going against the grain of logic for reducing cold start wear - thinner considered better.

Being that I haven't had to deal with piston slap issues and being suspect to any related wear, the supposed levels of wear could be a trade off between the two conditions/actual oil viscosity.
dunno.gif

It's the same oil, as M-Cougar noted.
I've used MC 5W-30, along with Havoline and Pennzoil of the same viscocities in my 4.6 crown vic for the last 60K miles now. Excellent oils.
Filter is always MC, OCI's at 4500-5000 miles. Car has 123K miles, no oil burned, runs like new.

IMO these oils are a great value for the $$, especially if you find the same version at Dollar Tree or somewhere similar. I would not hesitate to use the Trop-Artic, Kendall, etc, using the inside track BITOG knowledge about them. Most folks would think that those oils are "cheap" because they are not heavily marketed!

I just started using MC 5w-20 in my Neon and cold starting is much quieter now. This is what I am going to use in the car for the duration of its life.

the piston slap isn't bad, you can barely hear it

i have read that it's common on 4.6 engines when they get some miles on them

this is siting for 8 to 12 hours outside at 10 to 30 degrees F

overall I am happy with the MC oil, it's better than any dino I have used in the old 4.6. it doesn't burn lots a oil just a quart every 1,500 miles or so

maybe as I add oil I will add 10w30 to the 5w30

quote:

Originally posted by Mustang_Couger:
At Worst: They [various ConocoPhillips "brands" vs. Motorcraft] are very close cousins, with slight differences that occur between brands and according to different processing dates.

It goes beyond that. Even the same brand will test slightly from one blending batch to another, though they will always at least meet published performance specs. Until someone can prove otherwise to my satisfaction, I consider the "differences" in the product data sheets among the various ConocoPhillips "brands" as nothing more than the inevitable batch-to-batch variations. However the Walmart TropArtic 10W-30 is definitely inferior the the TropArtic 10W-30 I bought at Dollar Tree last August - by nearly 60 cents/qt. By the way, at one of the WalMarts I frequent, the TropArtic is shelved right next to the Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back