Walmart Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They (Fram) are junk. If you ever see a cut-a-way comparison like I did, you will easily see FRAM IS JUNK. Buy anything but a Fram.

Someone had told we once that Wix made them. Sounds like I better return them.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
They (Fram) are junk. If you ever see a cut-a-way comparison like I did, you will easily see FRAM IS JUNK. Buy anything but a Fram.

Wally filters are fine, they do the job and wouldn't worry about using them
wink.gif

I have used ST filters in the past with no problems.
That being said, take a look and make sure youre getting a Champ Labs filter. Ive found a few that look like they have Fram "guts". Travel carefully here!!!

I wouldn't touch a ST filter, I don't like the contruction of the new ones at all.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I wouldn't touch a ST filter, I don't like the contruction of the new ones at all.

I think they are great! The E-Core design has proven to be durable, and because they don't have such a restricting internal cage, they dramatically decrease the startup knock on my Dad's Chevy truck.

I really like the new design of the non-ecore filters. It's identical to any other Champ filter like Mobil 1 and K&N. Only difference is the media and the ADBV. No more clicker bypass valves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude

They're a dandy design. They're just not upscale in terms of filtering ability. For the 3k/3m type (or any service length, really) they're just fine. If you are swapping out your sump often out of habit or whatever, they're pretty much as good as any other.

I don't use them on frequent flier vehicles since I'm into somewhat extended drains and can get the $$ out of the higher end filters that I use. For the extended fleet that gets the oil changed too often or sees more short mileage ..it's el cheapo.

I'll be installing one on my jeep for an Auto-Rx rinse that's coming up.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
They (Fram) are junk.
Walmart filters are not made by FRAM. They are made by Champion Laboratories (no relation to the spark-plug people) and are a decent low-cost filter for 3-5k OCIs.

I do agree with the advice to avoid FRAM, however.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I dislike the combination valve they use, otherwise they're a good design.

I've never even seen one with a combo valve. Most of the E-Cores are for GM vehicles that have an internal bypass valve built into the oil filter mount. On engines that need the bypass in the filter, it's a blue spring loaded valve on the bottom end cap.

As others have stated, they are made by Champion Labs, the same outfit that makes M1 filters. I've used them on my Buick with the Northstar V8 out to an 11,000 mile OCI (I follow the OLM).
Absolutely no problems. I think they are a great buy...quality product at a great price.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I dislike the combination valve they use, otherwise they're a good design.

I've never even seen one with a combo valve. Most of the E-Cores are for GM vehicles that have an internal bypass valve built into the oil filter mount. On engines that need the bypass in the filter, it's a blue spring loaded valve on the bottom end cap.

The ST2, ST5 and ST3980 all use a combination valve. These are the ones I have experience with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back