Walmart closout sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently and much to my disappointment, Walmart has an ongoing profile change in their local super store. In the auto section they has several reserved shelf spaces with closeout prices on auto supplies.
They had 5w20 full synthetic Valvoline at 3 dollars a quart so I bought all 11 quarts. Also had 5w30 for 4.50 a quart and five gallon jugs at 21 dollars a quart. I'm still thinking on those! My question is that this syn-oil is made for 2012 and newer autos but mine is a 2004 Volvo with turbo..... I'm thinking this will work fine for the price!
I've been using Super Tech full synthetic and I d not really think there will be a problem....??

poikaa

Originally Posted by poikaa
Recently and much to my disappointment, Walmart has an ongoing profile change in their local super store. In the auto section they has several reserved shelf spaces with closeout prices on auto supplies.
They had 5w20 full synthetic Valvoline at 3 dollars a quart so I bought all 11 quarts. Also had 5w30 for 4.50 a quart and five gallon jugs at 21 dollars a quart. I'm still thinking on those! My question is that this syn-oil is made for 2012 and newer autos but mine is a 2004 Volvo with turbo..... I'm thinking this will work fine for the price!
I've been using Super Tech full synthetic and I d not really think there will be a problem....??

poikaa

No problem at all I don't have a turbo I would have no qualms using it.

poikaa

Not necessarily 2012 & newer, Ford (& others) have been recommending 5W20 for years, since the early '00s-but I would want to go THICKER in a turbo engine, esp. going into warmer weather, not thinner!

poikaa

The 2012 or newer is just marketing. Most oils you can get on the shelves now have been reformulated to address some issues with modern gdi engines. Valvoline modern vehicle isn't different in that regard and is backwards compatible for older vehicles.
I think Valvoline is a great product, by the way.

Happy with the price! Thanks for the answers as oils can be so confusing..... My Volvo requirements are:

Quality: Meeting minimum ILSAC specification GF-2, including ACEA A1, API SJ, SJ/CF and SJ/Energy Conserving.

So the Valvoline I snagged on sale will be fine for the S40 Turbo and I do not see a problem with the 5W20 weight for Summer use....

poikaa

API specs are backwards-compatible, with the exception of non-detergent SA. So using an oil for "2012 and newer" engines in a 2004 is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back