Walmart car battery, not much of a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used to have good warranty and good price. Now at least for my size (51-R) the Everstart Maxx is more expensive and shorter warranty than AAA road side service if you have AAA membership.

AAA: 6 year warranty, $102.95 + $7 battery recycle fee. They told me I can keep the old battery and they won't waive the fee, so I kept it and return it to O'Reilly for a $5 gift card.

Walmart: 5 year warranty, $109.95, you have to return the old battery for a core charge.

Walmart is a bit of a drive for me, plus the always long line. AAA came after a 35 min wait and they test out your charging system with a tester.

Both batteries seem to be Johnson Control, and has 3 years non prorated warranty, probably are identical. The charging system test is probably what reduced their risks for the 6 year instead of 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
I would have gone to Costco and called it a day. The lines are long but the price is cheaper and it's a Johnson Control battery. Maybe you can return your battery for a refund and then still go to Costco.

The Advanced Auto Parts 51R Autocraft Gold is $131.99. The Duralast Gold at Autozone is $129.99 while their cheaper 425 CCA offering still cost more than Wal-Marts 500CCA Everstart Maxx battery. The cash register in the auto section at my Wal-Mart is usually faster than the front registers.

If I have a costco membership, maybe. My Walmart has the longest cash register and the customer service, as well as no one tending the shelf inventory because they don't have a tire lube center on site (I had to look around for a rep that is willing to go to the back and wheel out some batteries, talking about an additional 15 mins).

Plus their batteries aren't as fresh as they used to be (Seeing 8/14 instead of 10/14 elsewhere).

I guess it really depends on your location, but right here it seems like AAA road side assist is both cheaper and the fastest if you have AAA membership, and is still competitive with the local auto parts store if you don't ($125 or so without AAA membership).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The Advanced Auto Parts 51R Autocraft Gold is $131.99. The Duralast Gold at Autozone is $129.99 while their cheaper 425 CCA offering still cost more than Wal-Marts 500CCA Everstart Maxx battery. The cash register in the auto section at my Wal-Mart is usually faster than the front registers.
Plus use the WD41 AAP $50 off $125 code & it'll be $81.99, that's where I go.

I got my wife's 09 pontiac vibe battery from advance auto parts silver battery with 40 dollar off 100 dollar online code. 70 bucks for new battery, I believe they are made by Johnson Controls.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Plus use the WD41 AAP $50 off $125 code & it'll be $81.99, that's where I go.

Exactly what I've done for the last four batts I've bought.
Good price and they'll install it for you if you want at no additional charge.

I think a big reason batteries don't last is they are never fully charged before being put in use. I last couple batteries, I bought I came home and put the charger on them overnight. They were both only about 75%. Different batteries from different places. One form Autozone. I think they trap you buying batteries from them for the rest of your life, because they die about a month of pro-rated warranty left and a Walmart battery. I got 6 years out of my original Dodge battery, 2 years out of my original Motorcraft.

OP's in california, land of no AA's.
frown.gif

At least half of the Interstate batteries carried by Costco no long have a handle :-( How are you supposed to carry them back and forth to your car?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
At least half of the Interstate batteries carried by Costco no long have a handle :-( How are you supposed to carry them back and forth to your car?

Shopping cart? If your local Costco is anything like mine, there's always one around.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
OP's in california, land of no AA's.
frown.gif

I know, that's not fair.

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao
Shopping cart? If your local Costco is anything like mine, there's always one around.

That's how everyone carries batteries around these days.

Just an FYI for anyone shopping at Costco for car batteries. I went to get a new one for my 2001 Tundra today and they are no longer Kirkland Signature brand. They're all Interstate in Culver City. Prices look to be the same as before; $70-85 with a refundable $15 core charge. Major difference is the old Kirkland branded ones came with 36 month full replacement warranty and pro-rate after that up to 100 months. The Interstate ones only state a 42 month full replacement.

But I have not seen anybody do the battery replacement in the Costco parking lot. I guess our Costco has better clientele than typical Autozone! I have done all my Costco battery changes at home. Without the handle, it is really pain to swap the battery.

But I have not seen anybody do the battery replacement in the Costco parking lot. I guess our Costco has better clientele than typical Autozone! I have done all my Costco battery changes at home. Without the handle, it is really pain to swap the battery.

I tuck them under my arm and carry them like a football...

As for the handles, I take them off as I don't like the way they look, plus some get in the way of the hold downs. To me, it looks terrible having a handle smooshed down under a hold down and bulging out at the sides. I much prefer a "clean" OE look.

edit: Hey- this is BITOG, home of the OCD motorist... You can't give me any flack!

Last edited:
I bring my own battery carry strap and change it in the parking lot. Last one was in Manhattan Beach
smile.gif

It's too hard to lift the old one out without a strap. Plus, you discover one post is larger in diameter than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back