Walmart and Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be old news but my friend works at PepBoys Corp. HQ in Philadelphia. He spoke with a Mobil vendor about why Pepboys cannot carry the 5qt jug for the same price. Aparently Mobil and Walmart have a deal so it looks like this $18.88 5qt deal is here to stay awhile. Fine by me!
grin.gif

I saw that 5qt jug you're referring to at Wal-Mart just today. It tempted me as I walked by even though I'm not due for another month and never used M1 before.
grin.gif

after working for a walmart vendor for a while, i can tell you this is not uncommon, and turns out to be a great value for the customers. now, if you are a vendor, it's a little bit less fun. we kept getting told what our cost reduction would be after the year's walmart negotiation. but, the 800 lb gorilla makes whatever deal it wants, and if you want to sell, you go along for the ride.

Remember my observation - Target near the Walmarts is about $3.33 per quart (do the math ;P).

For those of you with Target Visa's - right now you get 10% off. So, it is cheaper.

Target's prices are regional. M1 at Targets in the Cincinnati area is $4.99/quart. WalMart prices seem to be more on a national scale. There are reports from all over the United States of Walmarts charging $18.88

Target pricing is regional and it is local too. 3 targets within 5 miles of me - and all three charge different prices for Mobil 1.

We've covered this ground before with Target, and the reailty is it is darn near impossible to say what the price is at your local target.

I've given up on Target. I never see good deals there.

If your in the PNW, GI Joes has 4 qt jugs of M1 for $14.97. I'm not sure if it's a promotional or year round SKU but that "per quart" price is even cheaper than Wal Mart.

And if you need 6qts the Sam's club in my area sells the 6 packs of M1 for $23 and some change.

Target all depends on its proximity to a Walmart. The only Targets I have found that deal are where they are right next door to a Walmart. But then if you live in the Minneapolis area, that is very likely. If you do live up here, I could tell you my secret supplier ;P

I have friends who work for Target - when Walmart has a sale like they have on Mobil1 oil, and Target carries the same, they try to match price. If the price is different, bring it to the attention of a Target manager.

quote:

Originally posted by dwmcqueen:
Target all depends on its proximity to a Walmart. The only Targets I have found that deal are where they are right next door to a Walmart. But then if you live in the Minneapolis area, that is very likely. If you do live up here, I could tell you my secret supplier ;P

I have friends who work for Target - when Walmart has a sale like they have on Mobil1 oil, and Target carries the same, they try to match price. If the price is different, bring it to the attention of a Target manager.

I'll add to that that of the three prices by me, two are near a Wal-Mart, and none are even close on price, and have been told about it. The response is that since Target doesn't carry the 5 qt jugs, they only will match on the 1 qt containers. That price is much higher...

Hold on
wink.gif
I may live near Minneapolis, but I am no Twin Citian
rolleyes.gif

Do you know of good places to buy decent oil here (besides Mobil1)?

I know...but today due to the 10% Customer Appreciation Days, my additional 10% for my Visa card, and the fact that a family member works there, I got 30% off $3.39 a quart for Mobil 1. Do the math
wink.gif
($2.47 a quart).

It was probably their first mass sale of Mobil1 oil ever....I bought 15 quarts.

[ July 18, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: dwmcqueen ]

I don't use Mobil 1 anyways, and the 60 mile round trip would kill any savings I might see (right now excluding insurance my cost is around 12 cents a mile, so it would cost me around 7 bucks to make the trip) Tough living south of the river!
cool.gif

Nice to see another Twin Citian on the board!
cheers.gif

[ July 18, 2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: MNgopher ]

In Canada Wal-Mart sells the 4.4 litre jugs for around $28 Can...if you can get them...shelves are allways empty when I get there..last week an insider tip got me a ring-side seat...bought a crap-load of the "big jugs"
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back